Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 03-17-2021, 12:37 PM   #85
MartinLe

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 M6
Very concerning. I have 30K on my car and am wondering what my valves look like. I'm in the middle of installing the JRE Flex Fuel package. Will this intensify the coking problem? I guess it is what it is.

At one time I was considering adding meth and looked at WeaponX's setup. They have a method of post boost introduction that looks like port injection to my untrained eye (so forgive me if I'm way off base.) This is the link to what I'm talking about: https: https://weaponxmotorsports.com/produ...t=406141698075

Might this help mitigate the coking? If so, upside/downside?
MartinLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 03:13 PM   #86
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
As far as the first question, flex fuel should not affect blowby/valve deposits with DI, it's primarily driven by how much boost you're running, and, to a lesser extent, the quality/viscosity of synthetic oil.

Find a shop that does valve inspections and cleaning with walnut shell blasting - generally considered the best method (but expensive)
https://www.autoscopecarcare.com/car.../carbon-clean/
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 03:56 PM   #87
MartinLe

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 M6
Stock boost and Mobile One full synthetic.

What about the second question? Will meth injection help?
MartinLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:44 PM   #88
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
ZX-10R

Here is the video. Watch closely. This is the absolute best solution, but they will not last with street use due to wear of vanes, bearings, shaft and seals. These exit into a breather catchcan at least 1 quart minimum, That is the only practical use for a breather can. First pull is simply venting through the breather can as the MM can does (and of course the reply from MM is the same as usual, insults and no data or technical explanation), and the second pull is actually pulling suction full time. While our design emulates the functions in every way, we cannot pull the levels of vacuum at WOT as a vacuum pump system can so HP gains are much greater. Our HP gains are from evacuation at WOT vs allowing pressure to build and vent, and the reduction in KR that pulls ignition timing advance. Not, this is a small 5L engine. Larger cubes gain more power. As much as 40 hp gain. What this demonstrates is how dramatic of a power loss occurs from simply venting and not pulling evacuation suction, This is one of the main differences in the two designs and the fact that ours stops 90-95% of the oil VS app, 1/2 of that with the other:

And this video shows the components and how they work. I prefer to place the adjustable vacuum relief valve on the opposite valve cover that you evacuate from in order to get a more complete cross flow flushing of the vapors:

Here is how our Venturi Vacuum generator installs:

And this is an example of a LT1 at 20k miles before and after manual valve cleaning dyno runs to show the impact of the coking deposits on the valves. This is something most anyone with access to a dyno can do themselves to verify:

Here is a late model Audi V8:

Agree on the Hellcat! Here is the Worlds first and only Hellcat powered Dragster getting set up for NHRA competition. Electronic TB not allowed so converting to a cable drive.:

We have been working on a system that does not need servicing for at least 100k miles, but no automakers will add a system that adds the cost or requires the owner to drain and dispose of. GM and Ford have done extensive testing verifying the benefits, but they have lowered the drivetrain warranties from 100k miles to 60,50, and even 36k miles on GDI engines so by the time most consumers notice the issues it is not their liability any longer. The goal is to get the consumer to buy new every 3 years.
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 07:04 AM   #89
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Engineering View Post
no automakers will add a system that adds the cost or requires the owner to drain and dispose of.
It’s not a matter of cost. It’s requiring the owner to drain and dipose.

I had one of your catch cans on my ‘15 Silverado L83 pickup truck. I removed it after a year of use. Want to know why? Because in the winter it filled up with condensation and I had to empty the can every 7-10 days. Try doing that in single digit temperatures. It’s a royal pain in the ass.

No way GM or Ford can expect the average car owner to check the contents of a catch can every 7 days or even every 3000 miles. And the damage to an engine sucking in the contents from an overflowing catch can is far worse than coking on the back of the valves. It’s one thing to expect the “hobbyist” here on the Camaro forum to check and drain their cans regularly, it’s another thing to expect the general public to do the same.

I totally disagree with you that the driving force behind GM and Ford not putting catch cans on their vehicles is to get you to buy a new one every three years. GM and Ford dealers offer an alternative solution to valve coking that’s much more palatable to the average consumer. That alternative is an intake clean out every 30,000 - 40,000 miles.
Old 03-18-2021, 09:56 AM   #90
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
No way GM or Ford can expect the average car owner to check the contents of a catch can every 7 days or even every 3000 miles.
Every 3000 miles is not asking too much, it's literally a 20 second job - but I agree this is another reason manufacturers generally don't like to mess with catch cans

Quote:
GM and Ford dealers offer an alternative solution to valve coking that’s much more palatable to the average consumer. That alternative is an intake clean out every 30,000 - 40,000 miles.
...but all that time you are losing performance, and walnut shell blasting is an expensive, labor intensive process
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote