Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-23-2016, 09:05 PM   #1
Mongo RS

Drives: 2010 2LT M6 RS
CEL- misfire on #3 cylinder

Had Auto Zone scan the CEL, came back as a misfire on #3 cylinder. Is this just indicating I need a tune up (97000 miles on the clock) or is it an indication of a coil pack going bad? The car still seems to run fine and I cannot hear a miss.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:46 AM   #2
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
I always try fuel injector cleaner first, most likely a plug or bad coil.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:26 AM   #3
Night trained

Drives: 2015 camaro 2ss 1LE
swap coil and plug with another cylinder and clear code> then see what cylinder comes back misfiring.
Night trained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:01 PM   #4
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
C'mon guys- nobody else thinks the first thing I'd do is put in some fresh plugs?

It's an easy job and time to do it. You could also swap the coil to another cylinder while you're at it.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:22 PM   #5
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
97k miles, I agree, time for some plugs. Also take a look through the throttle body a see if you are collecting oil. Could be time for an upper induction cleaning. Cylinder #3 is a classic indication of this on the v6s.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:56 PM   #6
Eddiefuzz

Drives: 2011 RS
I would have changed those plugs a while ago. The coil could have caused the misfire, but if the coil was bad the car would be running bad constantly. I've had many coils go bad and I keep a spare in my trunk for that reason. You can clear the code then swap the coil from 3 with one from a different cylinder and see if that cylinder misfires. When the coil goes, you'll know it, the car runs rough and you can shut it off and restart, the car will run fine for a few miles and it will start running rough again, the coil will need to be replaced. You can get individual coils on AMAZON for about $25, the dealer will charge $90. Good Luck with your car.
Eddiefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:04 PM   #7
Mongo RS

Drives: 2010 2LT M6 RS
Is it possible to reset the CEL without a code reader? AZ won't reset codes, and I haven't gotten around to getting an OBDII reader yet.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:54 PM   #8
JJPlace1

Drives: 2010 2LT Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
C'mon guys- nobody else thinks the first thing I'd do is put in some fresh plugs?

It's an easy job and time to do it. You could also swap the coil to another cylinder while you're at it.
Time for plugs , the original AC Delco plugs work really good
JJPlace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:17 PM   #9
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo RS View Post
Is it possible to reset the CEL without a code reader? AZ won't reset codes, and I haven't gotten around to getting an OBDII reader yet.

Disconnect the battery.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:05 AM   #10
GM Parts House

Drives: 2015 Camaro
GM 3.6 with 97K would be absolutely 100% spark plugs. I would also change the Coil on that suspected cylinder. Most 3.6 Engines will only miss with a bad coil under load or when introduced to certain weather conditions.

I sent you over a PM to help you out.

Anyone else with 3.6 Issues, Please feel free to reach out to us at GM Parts House. My name is Chris and I know the 3.6 Inside and Out. We are a New Car GM Dealer and have access to any information that can help our customer's out.

Thank You!
GM Parts House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:17 AM   #11
mpiersd

Drives: ABM #2041
I just had this happen yesterday. Cylinder #3 also.
I happened about 5 years ago just after I got the car and it had sat for a few weeks, at the time it had less than 6000 miles on it, now I'm right at about 65000.
I'm going to run some fuel injector cleaner through a couple tanks of fuel and change out the plugs and looking into possible upgraded coil packs.

Bernadette: 2LT/RS, ABM #2041 of 3903
ZL-1 Springs | CAI | Muffler delete | Magnaflow resonator | LED DRL | DRL harness | RX Catch Can | Mini me

Cortana: 2015 Harley Davidson Road Glide Special
V&H Power Duals Headers & Oversized 450 Raider mufflers | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 Chisel Extreme intake | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 programmer | Klock Werks 12" Pro-Touring windscreen

Own an Aqua Blue Metallic Camaro?
Click here to join us on Facebook and help us in establishing the Aqua Blue Registry to locate all 3903 of these beautiful Camaros!
mpiersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:34 AM   #12
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
At 97,000 miles your intake valves will be severely coked and that is one of the first symptoms along with hesitation off idle.

Take your intake manifold off, takes only 10 minutes tops and look at your valves directly and share some pictures.

This is what causes most misfires. Perform a manual valve cleaning (NEVER a engine running on a GDI engine!) and you will not believe its the same car when finished.

Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:54 PM   #13
Blueovalman

Drives: 2012 V6 Camaro 2010 Camaro SS
I believe carbon build up and deposits on your intake valves are probably very thick being close to 100K miles. I would definitely take your Camaro to a automotive service shop or Chevrolet dealership service department you trust and have them do a complete decarb/fuel injection service on your 3.6L V6 engine and I would also run a bottle of Chevron fuel injector cleaner and/or Chevron fuel system cleaner through it as well. Your carbon build up/deposit level will depend a lot on if you used top tier brand gasoline’s,did your oil changes on time,and did all your other general maintenance on time. Your Camaro is overdue to replace your spark plugs and use AC Delco brand spark plugs. Also I would have all your ignition coils tested and replace your ignition coils as needed. Definitely replace the ignition coil on the suspected fouled cylinder/s. GM highly recommends only using “top tier” brand gasoline’s in all their models like gasoline brands like Chevron or Texaco gasoline with Techron etc.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:50 PM   #14
mpiersd

Drives: ABM #2041
Disconnected the battery and replaced the #3 coil and spark plug today.
CEL is gone, now we wait.

Bernadette: 2LT/RS, ABM #2041 of 3903
ZL-1 Springs | CAI | Muffler delete | Magnaflow resonator | LED DRL | DRL harness | RX Catch Can | Mini me

Cortana: 2015 Harley Davidson Road Glide Special
V&H Power Duals Headers & Oversized 450 Raider mufflers | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 Chisel Extreme intake | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 programmer | Klock Werks 12" Pro-Touring windscreen

Own an Aqua Blue Metallic Camaro?
Click here to join us on Facebook and help us in establishing the Aqua Blue Registry to locate all 3903 of these beautiful Camaros!
mpiersd is offline   Reply With Quote