Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 07-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
GRRRRAH

Drives: 2012 AGM Camaro Convertible
Rattling top....

Does anyone else have this problem...going over a rough road the top rattles in the rear, like something is loose or not adjusted right or hitting against the rear deck (I think the fifth bow is doing this). Its so damn annoying and happens even when tunring into a driveway. And this rattle is more pronounced when the windows are up. The top also creaks in the rear passenger area when turning from a driveway onto the street.

I've taken the Camaro to two dealers so far--one twice. The first visit resulted in a diagnosis that a TSB needed to be implemented, but parts needed to be ordered. Funny thing though I didn't hear back from the dealer about when the part was in even though I called three times to find out what was going on. So I gave up. That was about a year ago. I tried another dealer and was told there is no problem with the top--the noise is normal. And just this week, I returned to the first dealer in hopes of getting this fixed (maybe the part was in). Well, I just got off the phone with the dealer and was told there is no problem with the top (don't know if they looked up my record from last year).

Am I nuts? Does anyone else have this happening? I love the Camaro--especially when the top is down. But I hate hearing this rattle over and over again, especially since roads in the DC area can be very uneven. Ugggg.

Any guidance would be great! ANd thanks for letting me vent. Its all so frustrating and time consuming (the second dealer had my car for almost a month since they ordered a wrong part for something else...).

Also if anyone has had a good experience with a DC/MD/VA area dealer service department, let me know!
GRRRRAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:36 PM   #2
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRRRRAH View Post
Does anyone else have this problem...going over a rough road the top rattles in the rear, like something is loose or not adjusted right or hitting against the rear deck (I think the fifth bow is doing this). Its so damn annoying and happens even when tunring into a driveway. And this rattle is more pronounced when the windows are up. The top also creaks in the rear passenger area when turning from a driveway onto the street.

I've taken the Camaro to two dealers so far--one twice. The first visit resulted in a diagnosis that a TSB needed to be implemented, but parts needed to be ordered. Funny thing though I didn't hear back from the dealer about when the part was in even though I called three times to find out what was going on. So I gave up. That was about a year ago. I tried another dealer and was told there is no problem with the top--the noise is normal. And just this week, I returned to the first dealer in hopes of getting this fixed (maybe the part was in). Well, I just got off the phone with the dealer and was told there is no problem with the top (don't know if they looked up my record from last year).

Am I nuts? Does anyone else have this happening? I love the Camaro--especially when the top is down. But I hate hearing this rattle over and over again, especially since roads in the DC area can be very uneven. Ugggg.

Any guidance would be great! ANd thanks for letting me vent. Its all so frustrating and time consuming (the second dealer had my car for almost a month since they ordered a wrong part for something else...).

Also if anyone has had a good experience with a DC/MD/VA area dealer service department, let me know!
GRRRRAH,

Sorry to hear about the rattling noise you're experiencing. I know this must be displeasing for you and we're here to help. Feel free to send me a PM if you'd like additional assistance. Although I'm unable to guarantee any specific resolution, perhaps I can get things moving in the right direction.

Kindly,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 07-31-2013, 08:03 AM   #3
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
I have a minor rattle from the rear area as you described. It seems to come and go.

From what I have seen from pictures on this forum, the broken 5th bows are actually bent brackets and I'm not sure if this would cause a rattle. Cars with 5th bow issues also have a gap from the rear of the top to the body which I do not. My rattle would have to get quite a bit worse before I take it to a dealer. I have not had the best of luck with them.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Hi JR 1!

I am sorry to hear about this rattling sound coming from your vehicle! If you decide to take the vehicle to the dealership, we are happy to assist in setting up an appointment for you.

Jessica (assisting William R.)
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 1 View Post
I have a minor rattle from the rear area as you described. It seems to come and go.

From what I have seen from pictures on this forum, the broken 5th bows are actually bent brackets and I'm not sure if this would cause a rattle. Cars with 5th bow issues also have a gap from the rear of the top to the body which I do not. My rattle would have to get quite a bit worse before I take it to a dealer. I have not had the best of luck with them.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:20 PM   #5
GRRRRAH

Thanks for your note JR...looks like I'm not alone. And thank you William. I appreciate your offer. Let me see how things progress first.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:24 PM   #6
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRRRRAH View Post
Thanks for your note JR...looks like I'm not alone. And thank you William. I appreciate your offer. Let me see how things progress first.
No problem,

I'm always a message away if you feel additional assistance is needed.

Best,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 08-01-2013, 10:12 PM   #7
BlueRay-J

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Convertible
There are adjustable bump stops back there. Or so I was told. I have had a lot of issues with my top. After picking up my car for service, one rattle was gone and the one you describe was present. I went right back, tech took for a ride, and fixed in 10 Mins by adjusting them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
BlueRay-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:06 AM   #8
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRay-J View Post
There are adjustable bump stops back there. Or so I was told. I have had a lot of issues with my top. After picking up my car for service, one rattle was gone and the one you describe was present. I went right back, tech took for a ride, and fixed in 10 Mins by adjusting them.

Cool, maybe I'll get brave enough to take mine in. If I do I'll mention the bump stops. I need to find a dealer I trust!
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #9
GRRRRAH

Thanks for the tip Blue Ray-J. Next time I'm in I'll ask about that--I suspect that all that's needed are some small adjustments to reduce the rattle noise.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:08 PM   #10
Fieryfight

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT IBM Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRay-J View Post

Those same knobs on mine where the cause took some penetrating oil to them and it fixed the problem from what I read before doing this during hot weather they need to be lubed or you get a squeak/rattle noise (which was what I had) coming from the rear when going over bumps
Fieryfight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:11 PM   #11
KRIS10

Drives: 2010 2SS Black and Inferno Orange
My top rattles too....and sometimes my "rear".:o

Sent using Tapatalk from my Galaxy III ♥

Tags
convertible