Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-18-2019, 01:52 PM   #15
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetRage320 View Post

I bet they look great
Lol!
Heck yeah they look great! Here ya go:
Attached Images

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:49 PM   #16
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
The ZL1 is a solid car and it will perform at any mileage. That said, if you are asking me I'd have to say a HELLNO on that purchase.

In my mind, anything that requires financing (cars above 20k) requires some type of quality and assurance that it will perform for awhile without the need of extensive repair.

With a high caliber car as a ZL1, I would normally expect the best condition that my money can buy. So If I had 25k or more to buy a ZL, then it will be worth my while to sit and save up enough to buy a mint ZL. Buying a trashed ZL or any other car in that class is akin to buying and eating cold pizza, cold coffee or cold soup (although there are versions of all three as a delicacy); Its self defeating to spend the money on just a piece of a car.

It will be far better to buy a good 1LE if your budget can't swing for a mint ZL, but that's my op. My adage still stands, shop around.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:26 PM   #17
StreetRage320
Those who need me got me

Drives: 2022 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZL1 View Post
Lol!
Heck yeah they look great! Here ya go:
see this is just more bad advice that I've given another o p

OP I stand corrected don't be afraid of Plasti dip!
Old 02-18-2019, 06:13 PM   #18
CHRISCAM

Drives: 2013 Summit White 2SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
It seems as if you don't quite have all of your finances together and are also potentially quite young. Settling for a high mileage used vehicle, simply because that us all you can afford is not wise. Let's think logically about this.
LOL! Well, if you call 48 "young", then yes I am.

What I have been trying to do is get a gauge of what experienced ZL1 owners might consider to be "Too many miles" on a ZL1 purchased as a used car with (potentially) zero warranty coverage on it-- based on their mature, real-world experiences with their own cars.

I'll be ready to buy in about 3 weeks, after having researched SS models for a year or more.

I appreciate the sincere help from all who replied!
CHRISCAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:28 PM   #19
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISCAM View Post
What I have been trying to do is get a gauge of what experienced ZL1 owners might consider to be "Too many miles" on a ZL1 purchased as a used car with (potentially) zero warranty coverage on it-- based on their mature, real-world experiences with their own cars.
$25k for a 70k mile Z is way too much in my opinion. Especially w/o a bumper to bumper warranty...not just drivetrain. You have no idea how it was driven (or abused) or maintained. There have been a plethora of low mile Z's in the $30k-35k range: keep looking.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:36 AM   #20
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISCAM View Post
LOL! Well, if you call 48 "young", then yes I am.

I'll be ready to buy in about 3 weeks, after having researched SS models for a year or more.

I appreciate the sincere help from all who replied!
ZLs in the market as well as currently owned examples typically will have low miles in general (there are exceptions but most of what I've seen have been between 3,000 and 35,000 miles, give or take). Its great to pick up a well cared for ZL, that way you can enjoy it longer, and hopefully have few issues to deal with.

But as I'm thinking about it, you'll see more CTS-Vs with high miles. It could be that they were out longer than the ZL1s, and also because Caddys may be driven more regularly as opposed to performance days and sunny days. Its a testament to how well they are built, but with any car for sale there are inherent risks with buying high mileage examples.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:01 PM   #21
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RareDarkness View Post
All I'm going to say is that my friend has a 1LE, I have a ZL1. He bought his, put a LSA blower on it. mild cam, e85, most the standard bolt ons and is putting down 760whp on e85. I'm at 650whp. His car whoops my ass every time and he has less money into his car. I love my car, but if I had done it again, I'd probably have gone with a 1LE and saved the money up front and upgraded it.
But remember 1LE doesn’t get the upgraded MG9 transmission or the 9.9” cast iron differential to reliability handle the power. ZL1 still has better long term durability. Mod for mod, the ceiling is higher on the LSA

And magnetic ride control is a ZL1 bonus
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote