Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-23-2018, 01:24 PM   #1
Jdr1337

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Manual
Need advice on bc coilovers

Hey guys, I had BC racing adjustable coilovers put on my car, and i know they are pretty cheap but the ride quality is just horrible, wavy on the highway, hard thuds every little bump, and knocking clunking and squeaking noises from the rear end. I took it back to the shop that did it, and it is actually worse now. I took it to a different shop, for another opinion and the mechanic there took a look and pointed out a few things. The gap between the fender and tire was different between pretty much all 4 corners, and you could see the tension on the springs was not consistent either based on the space between each coil. The original shop has had it in twice since the initial install, and refuses to refund me any portion. Of labor for the install. They want me to bring it in so they have a chance to "make it right", but I am worried they will screw it up worse. The second shop quoted me 5 to 600 to set preload correctly, and corner balance. Should I even bother letting the first shop try again or just eat it and learn an expensive lesson?

I assume the second shop knows his shit because just by looking at it, and without me telling him he was able to guess the particular ways it rides badly.
Jdr1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:33 PM   #2
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
BC are inexpensive but pretty decent in my past experience. What you describe is definitely install / setup error.

The ride should be fairly smooth, and if it's bouncy it should be adjusted (don't slam it). it will be fairly stiff, but compliant within the range of the shock - which is not a huge range. You may notice abruptness and a bit of a clunk when running over a 2x4 type of bump.

They worked well for me on a bumpy track (different car).

I can't advise you to go back to the shop that has messed it up 2x, but if you go that route get assurances. You need to know exactly what they plan to do, because it needs to be different than what they've done before. If it's the same tech that doesn't know what he's doing, then I'd be worried.

If they strike out 3x and won't do anything to solve it for you, they are proving their incompetence and at the least I would let it be known publicly what your experience is (don't stoop to slander or anything like that, stick to the facts).

The other shop sounds like they know what they're talking about and have laid out a solid plan to you. Sucks that it will cost you. You can save a bit by foregoing the corner balance.

I did the install myself (3 times actually as I tried different suspensions) and I never had any issues. I'm not a master tech. I installed it, drove it to the race shop for alignment, done. I never bothered with corner balance and still managed my personal best time at my home track with the BC BR setup.

Last edited by bkevind; 05-23-2018 at 01:47 PM.
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:35 PM   #3
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
I did Pedders coilovers Year’s ago. If they follow the instructions they shouldn’t have a problem. They do have to set the preload correctly, usually 5-10mm rear and 2-3 mm front, or whatever the bc instructions say. This has to be done correctly. Then set ride height. It isn’t hard. It seems the shop that did it don’t know what they are doing, or from your description, don’t care and want to rush through it and get paid. For good ride set them at 8-12 clicks from soft and try that. These have stiff springs do ride won’t be great unless on a smooth road. Also don’t slam it. Best drop is 1” front, 1-1/4” rear so you don’t get into rear axel issues
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:30 AM   #4
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Installed BC Racing ER Series CO's over a year and a half ago, and have had nothing but a great ride from them since the install. I thought the ride was improved slightly from my OEM 1LE ride, and haven't have any of the issues you seem to be having. Something isn't right with the install, or maybe you have a defective strut on one or more corners (seems unlikely). While BC's are a lower priced set up, I thought the quality was on par with the Pedders Xa's. I would suggest removing all four corners and starting from scratch. Make sure preload is set correctly, and the rest of the install is per specs.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:08 AM   #5
Jdr1337

Yep, It is in the shop with the guy who actually knows what he is doing now. Will update after I get it back today.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:12 AM   #6
Jdr1337

So far he said so far non of the sleeve lockers were tight at all.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:05 PM   #7
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdr1337 View Post
Geeeez. Glad to hear you are being taken care of properly.
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 04:42 PM   #8
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdr1337 View Post
When they tighten the lock rings make sure they use a blunt drift or something similar. A sharpe tool can crack them, possibly.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 06:08 AM   #9
hesster

Drives: '10 C5 SS, '77 Bandit T/A
A tip I learned for my years in the GM Prototype shop was to Paint Stripe all fasteners, including the BC Lock Rings. I inspect them every year to look for anything that may have backed off.
Attached Images

hesster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:52 AM   #10
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Great idea! Come across it all the time while working on the car, but dammit, didn't even think about it during the install.....
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote