Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-29-2010, 10:22 AM   #1
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Kooks advice

Hey, I know these are 'newbie' questions, but trying to get a good setup..

I am looking into the 1 7/8 long tube headers...I have read some reviews from other C5 members and venders on this site that they fit great and have had no issues..

I am looking into this product and just had a few questions..
http://www.kookscustomheaders.com/show.php?pid=889

How much do cats dull the volume? We don't have emission testing in FL but was more so concerned about volume level. I will probably install with the stock H pipe, is there anything else I would need to purchase to have this product installed and operating? Sorry, I know it is a stupid question, but I have never done anything past exhaust in my history and I have caught the camaro moding bug...

To the venders on this site, are there any negatives at all to the kooks headers? I know I will be doing a dyno tune and the warranty will be gone, but besides that and increased heat ..are there any other issues that can be caused? I would imagine there would not be any added stress on the powertrain when you add LTs with an intake and you are just circulating air in and out more efficiently?
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:54 AM   #2
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
I worried about tune/warranty issue and stuff like that as well.

Had the KOOKS and Magnaflow exhaust with a tune done almost a month ago through ADM Performance. LOVE IT! You won't be disappointed. I didn't install the headers because the install came as a pkg deal otherwise I would've. Heard they are real easy to do and I've heard nothing but good things on the KOOKS. Haven't seen a negative post yet.

I still haven't seen a post where someone with headers and tune was denied warranty work. I think we are going to be okay there....especially if you can get it done by a reputable performance shop and not some 16 yr old kid trying to learn.

BTW: Check prices everywhere and then check Maryland Speed before you buy....make sure to get them ceramic coated. It's the only way to go IMO.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:00 AM   #3
Shrek

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I just put these in yesterday. Had no problems other than the o2 sensors coming out of the stock pipes. If you have any questions I would be more than happy to answer them. Maryland speed has good prices as well as IPS Motorsports. I bought mine from IPS. Couldn't beat the deal. Check with IPSBrandon before you buy them.
Roto-Fab Intake, Apex Catch Can, Stainless Works 2" long tube headers with cat delete, Stainless Works 3" retro chambered catback, ATI Super Damper with 10% overdrive lower pulley, tuned by JRE. Sitting on Black MRR 228's wrapped in MT's.
Shrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
brantley847
v It bites.

Cool, thanks for the help guys...I have a connection with a Vette/Camaro/Pontiac only dyno tune shop in the area so I will not be installing it (so I really don't even mind the tune and if they hit me with the warranty issue...so be it, pay to play I guess)...my concern was only if there were any negative issues associated with headers besides heat such as any additional stressors.

I am going for the catted LTs..curious with the volume change between catted and non.
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:31 AM   #5
overhaulengines

Drives: Red 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
I just put these in yesterday. Had no problems other than the o2 sensors coming out of the stock pipes. If you have any questions I would be more than happy to answer them. Maryland speed has good prices as well as IPS Motorsports. I bought mine from IPS. Couldn't beat the deal. Check with IPSBrandon before you buy them.
hello bro, i see you have kooks, cats and muffler delete, what is the sound like? drone? is the rest of the exhaust stock other than muffler delete?

thanks

Lupe
overhaulengines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:36 AM   #6
Shrek

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
pm sent
Roto-Fab Intake, Apex Catch Can, Stainless Works 2" long tube headers with cat delete, Stainless Works 3" retro chambered catback, ATI Super Damper with 10% overdrive lower pulley, tuned by JRE. Sitting on Black MRR 228's wrapped in MT's.
Shrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:44 AM   #7
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
I'd go with the high flow cats. Without cats, it may be a bit stinky. High Flow cats flow great, so there is next to no performance loss.

No negative issues. With LT's, high flow cats, a good CAI and tune and you will love the way it runs.

The coating may help with the heat. Mine are uncoated which seems fine, my IAT temps seem fine using a good CAI. It does seem real hot under the hood though after parking. I may try getting them coated this winter.

If I did it over again, I'd probably get them coated to start with.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:53 AM   #8
brantley847
v It bites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
I'd go with the high flow cats. Without cats, it may be a bit stinky. High Flow cats flow great, so there is next to no performance loss.

No negative issues. With LT's, high flow cats, a good CAI and tune and you will love the way it runs.

The coating may help with the heat. Mine are uncoated which seems fine, my IAT temps seem fine using a good CAI. It does seem real hot under the hood though after parking. I may try getting them coated this winter.

If I did it over again, I'd probably get them coated to start with.
alright, I will def look into ceramic coating then. I think Cold air inductions does it for my CAI so no complaints...are kooks not already ceramic or is that an additional cost...
Old 09-29-2010, 12:11 PM   #9
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
alright, I will def look into ceramic coating then. I think Cold air inductions does it for my CAI so no complaints...are kooks not already ceramic or is that an additional cost...
No....typically an additional cost.

I don't think there are any Stainless Steel headers that come coated from the factory.

I would tell you to do the coating mostly for looks and heat. Take a look at what coated look like after a few heat cycles vs what a coated headers looks like.

When getting your pricing make sure you have coating included. You may have to find a local coater if the company that you buy from can't have it done for you. Mine cost $275 to get cleanded and then coated.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:20 PM   #10
brantley847
v It bites.

IPS does have a great price..about 1100-1200...saving nearly 400 from Kooks website...

Is there ANYTHING else I would need to install these as far as mid pipes? Or does the 7/8 fit directly to the stock H pipe?

and ..(my last newbie question of the day) what is the benefit or difference between the 7/8 and 3/4? Noise or performance?
Old 09-29-2010, 12:23 PM   #11
Jaysin

Drives: 2015 Chevrolet SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
I don't think there are any Stainless Steel headers that come coated from the factory.
SLP Headers come coated from the manufacture. It's because they use a lower grade of stainless steel (409), so they have to coat them to prevent any rusting.

There are many opinions on coating. Unless your running some major boost the most benefit you'll get from coating are the looks.
Jaysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:23 PM   #12
Phase V
Summer

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM w/ Black Stripes
Send a message via AIM to Phase V Send a message via Yahoo to Phase V Send a message via Skype™ to Phase V
marylandspeed.com has kooks with coating and a good price

Restoring or need parts for a Chevy. Look no further than Don's East Coast Restorations
Phase V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:30 PM   #13
Jaysin

Drives: 2015 Chevrolet SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
IPS does have a great price..about 1100-1200...saving nearly 400 from Kooks website...

Is there ANYTHING else I would need to install these as far as mid pipes? Or does the 7/8 fit directly to the stock H pipe?

and ..(my last newbie question of the day) what is the benefit or difference between the 7/8 and 3/4? Noise or performance?
All you would need besides the headers are the connector pipes, either with cats or without.

1 3/4" headers give a little more low end torque on a stock motor. If you plan to do any upgrades beyond CAI and headers in the future, go with 1 7/8".
Jaysin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:31 PM   #14
brantley847
v It bites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysin View Post
SLP Headers come coated from the manufacture. It's because they use a lower grade of stainless steel (409), so they have to coat them to prevent any rusting.

There are many opinions on coating. Unless your running some major boost the most benefit you'll get from coating are the looks.
Yea, I don't plan on going much further than CAI, Exhaust, LTs, and a tune...i think that is enough for me (at least I say that now)...I will take a look at prices and check out maryland speed as well