Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 01-23-2014, 10:44 PM   #1
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
D@mn door locks.....

I thought I was going crazy.....

Car is in the garage..windows rolled up...key is in the car (since it's in the garage which is always locked) and I come back to it in the morning and

My doors are locked??

Weird...I think maybe I hit the door lock by mistake when getting out. I get the other remote and unlock it.

Several more times this happened. And...I finally figure it's not me. For some reason or another, my car decides to lock itself. I've had to call OnStar twice now to unlock my car because it locks itself. While I'm a paranoid guy who locks his car all the time, it sure doesn't help having to go and get the other key fob out of the safe to unlock my car in the mornings.

Anyone else have an issue with the doors locking themselves out of the blue?
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:47 PM   #2
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
there is an option in the settings to prevent that, something to do that when set only the fob will lock the doors..
Old 01-24-2014, 01:58 PM   #3
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
there is an option in the settings to prevent that, something to do that when set only the fob will lock the doors..
Owner's manual explains all the locking options.

Gotta say, though, leaving keys in the car is never a good idea, even at home.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:12 PM   #4
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I just read my owners manual and there is no option to prevent that, just to delay locking. If you have a manual transmission and leave the key in the ignition it will lock after you close the door. Only solution is remove the key from the ignition and drop it in the cup holder.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:22 PM   #5
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I just read my owners manual and there is no option to prevent that, just to delay locking. If you have a manual transmission and leave the key in the ignition it will lock after you close the door. Only solution is remove the key from the ignition and drop it in the cup holder.
I leave my key in the car all the time in the garage and it has never locked on me.

Since we're talking 2010 here I think there is an option to set a delayed lock time. Might run through the settings on your radio.

Please don't read the manual...
Old 01-24-2014, 02:43 PM   #6
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
If you are going to leave the keys in it, leave a window open!
Old 01-24-2014, 03:06 PM   #7
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I leave my key in the car all the time in the garage and it has never locked on me.

Since we're talking 2010 here I think there is an option to set a delayed lock time. Might run through the settings on your radio.

Please don't read the manual...
2010 manual says the same thing as my 2012. In an automatic it will remain unlocked if the car is in park, no matter if the key is in it or not, on the manual it says you need to remove the key from the ignition.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:30 PM   #8
Bruce_Lee

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS, RS, Automatic.
Hi,
This happened to me back in Sept '13. I turned my car on and closed the door while the engine was running. Went inside the house to get something, when I came back, the doors were locked. Both windows were up (since it was the first time turning the car 'ON' that day). It was a first for me. I've always turned ON my car and would let it warm up while I would go back inside the house (for what ever reason). This was the first time it did it and I still don't know why. I now roll down the window before I close the driver side door (and if I have to go back inside the house). I don't know....
Old 01-24-2014, 09:40 PM   #9
Camarodriver2

Drives: FOR SALE! Bumblebee 1 of 1
Never heard of doors locking on any car just by having the keys in the ignition. No reason for it and the system isn't active until you turn the key.
Camarodriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:37 PM   #10
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I leave a window rolled down now which stinks since it's kind of cold out....lol...28 or so degrees. SO...when I get in the car, it's colder than normal. But, yeah...I have the car off, leave the key in the center console (again, garage is locked...and if someone wants to steal the car, it's not like they couldn't get the keys in the house where they normally hang), and with the car off, it'll lock out of the blue. I am pretty sure no one is hitting the door lock down with the window down...since it's happened with the windows in the up position.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:14 AM   #11
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarodriver2 View Post
Never heard of doors locking on any car just by having the keys in the ignition. No reason for it and the system isn't active until you turn the key.
Me either... My key is in the ignition right now and I guarantee it's not locked
Old 01-25-2014, 12:33 PM   #12
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

personally I have never heard of an OEM alarm having passive arming (i.e. locking doors and arming the alarm by itself after a given preset time) most if not all aftermarket alarms do it, but as far as OEM delayed locking is all I have ever seen OEM wise, and delayed locking requires you to tap the lock button, it is not passive, if you don't touch the button it won't activate the lock.

though I have never tested to see if my vehicle locks itself, it is a given for me, I open the door I tap the lock button and hear the 3 chimes indicating delayed lock is active.

I always wait for the horn toot before walking away.. but I seldom ever use my key fob to lock the doors, 99% of the time it is delayed locking, simply because I usually have my hands full (laptop, lunch bag, etc) and it is easier than fumbling for the fob after I retrieve everything from the trunk.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:53 PM   #13
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Turn the delayed lock off. Otherwise, the doors will lock automatically after you shut them.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:17 PM   #14
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Turn the delayed lock off. Otherwise, the doors will lock automatically after you shut them.
only if you touch the lock button..

they don't lock by themselves, you have to press the lock button on the dash or door.