Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-18-2016, 07:07 PM   #15
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
im thinking my dealer will get it fixed...at first i thought this pic was a suggestion on how to wedge the monster truck into my garage.you mean sudden loss of air in the tire caused this wreck,or did the tire fail?
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:02 PM   #16
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
just got a call from the dealer.they said its either the module which they will be replacing when it arrives tomorrow,or if that doesnt fix it theres a TSB about rerouting the wiring harness away from the blower motor.i guess i will have to wedge the monster truck in my garage tonight.
What could make you want to park a loaner in your garage?
Park it on the street in front of a neighbor's house.
CamaroFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:29 AM   #17
redcoats1976

no,my insurance will be involved if this monster gets hurt.hoping to have mine back by tonight(friday)as im going through CWS.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:26 AM   #18
Ducatiman

Drives: 2015 2SS/1LE
Quote:
im thinking my dealer will get it fixed...at first i thought this pic was a suggestion on how to wedge the monster truck into my garage.you mean sudden loss of air in the tire caused this wreck,or did the tire fail?

TPMS light had come on prior to a gas stop. While refueling, tire pressures were checked, and were normal. The light was reset and remained off for the next 30 or so miles. When it came on again, I remember thinking, now I've got to stop again in the next town. There was no pulling of the car to the left or right. Just 2-3 minutes later, I believe the tire failed catasrophically from heat build up.

The Accord TPMS system does NOT measure tire air pressure. It compares the rotation of the wheels to each other, and alarms when it detects a discrepancy.

Highly recommend that everyone pull over IMMEDIATELY, if their TPMS lights up while cruising at highway speed.
Ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:58 AM   #19
redcoats1976

wow,i thought it was just tire pressure.pulled a good joke on my married daughter last night.she came over and saw the monster truck here and we told her we had traded the camaro on it.she promtly pulled my wife aside and asked her if i had gone nuts...should have seen the look on my grandsons face.i thought he was gonna cry.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:17 AM   #20
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
wow,i thought it was just tire pressure.pulled a good joke on my married daughter last night.she came over and saw the monster truck here and we told her we had traded the camaro on it.she promtly pulled my wife aside and asked her if i had gone nuts...should have seen the look on my grandsons face.i thought he was gonna cry.
On the Camaro it is just tire pressures, that's why they can be displayed in the DIC.
Some older cars, before the law went into effect, used the wheel speed sensors that were installed for the ABS/Traction Control.

Good story about your kid and her son!
CamaroFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:43 PM   #21
redcoats1976

got the camaro back,seems to be fixed.might have to take the grandkid to the car show tonight at burger king...he was heartbroken to see that big truck in my garage.
Old 08-20-2016, 12:38 AM   #22
PJMZL1

Drives: 2015 ZL1
I like the TPMS. It has helped me once on a major highway trip. Low profile tires and a large wheel weight on the highway = major hassle. Try to get a directional tire in a small town. haha. No rim damage though.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:34 AM   #23
redcoats1976

would a full size rim/tire fit in the trunk? ive got a 4 way lug wrench and could get a bottle jack pretty cheaply.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:20 AM   #24
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
would a full size rim/tire fit in the trunk? ive got a 4 way lug wrench and could get a bottle jack pretty cheaply.
Yes, but that's all you'll have in the trunk, and a bunch of extra weight.

You can get a donut for these cars, put it in the compartment of the battery and jack.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 12:26 PM   #25
FZTechnologies

Drives: 2013 camaro ss & 1985 camaro Z28
Searcg tpms delete system on ebay it is available for 5th gen camaro's. It simulates the original sensors signals and "fools" the car into not displaying any warning. I used it on a 2013 ss with drag wheels and no sensors.
FZTechnologies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:22 PM   #26
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Yes, you can fit a full size tire in the trunk, and little else.

Make sure you strap it down. There are two steel loops in the aft wall for that purpose. I use a 800 lb test strap with a come-along tightening mechanism.

If you don't strap it down, the wheel will blow right through the rear seat in a collision and kill you.

I also use a scissor jack that fits on the pinch welds, just like the one you would get with a non-RS 6 cylinder car. I can't imagine where you would place a bottle jack safely.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:47 PM   #27
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
i have a cousin that is paralyzed from the neck down from a speaker box that was in his trunk. head on. He was on his way home to screw the box down.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:01 PM   #28
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducatiman View Post

Different make and model... But.... Ignoring my TPMS for no more than 2-3 minutes led to this. Cruise was set to 73 mph when the left rear failed. Crawled out the back window unscathed, but knew I was going to die when it somersaulted off a 40 ft embankment and I saw that ground coming up. Highly recommend you do not disable it.
Problem with the honda is how it monitors Tire pressure It measure average rotations across all 4 wheels, when 1 gets out of sync it sets the light. Problem is if you never check them they can all go flat evenly over time, which no light. Got a 2015 V6 EX-L Accord for my girlfriend 2 years ago and she start complaining it was scraping the driveway, checked and all 4 were about 20 psi, with no light.

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote