Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 06-27-2016, 11:37 AM   #1
Torquemonster

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
A look at a 2016 Mustang GT compared to my 2014 2SS

So a few days ago I had the opportunity to get behind the wheel of my dad's 2016 Mustang GT with the performance package (3.73 Torsten rear end, black alloys, 6 piston brembo brakes etc.), and I'll say I was VERY impressed with the performance of the new mustang. The power that the 5.0 puts down along with the proper gearing is really, really nice. I will say however, that despite the new independent rear suspension that ford put on the stangs, is lacking. I drove it for a few days (I work for a ford dealership and was having some work done it for him) and I commute 50 miles back and forth and I'll say that the wheel hop that plagues the Mustangs, is still there lol. I liked the power that the car put out, but on the back roads I'll say my Camaro feels much, much tighter.

I also liked that the mustang uses a shorter throw shifter than comes standard on my Camaro. The shifted feels very tight and responsive on the mustang (pushing me enough to buy an MGW short throw kit for my Camaro lol).

As far as interior quality, I think the Chevy still has ford in that respect. I don't like the cheesy interior parts that Ford uses, and some parts are just tacky. For example, the mustang speedometer says "ground speed," as if there were any other type of speed for cars lol. Furthermore, there are no gauges for oil temp, coolant or coolant temp etc.

In terms of curb appeal I'll also say that I still like the way our 5th gens look waaaayyyy more than the mustang. I still get a lot more compliments in the maro than in the mustang.

Regarding build quality, our camaros smoke the fords. My dads mustang is plagued with material imperfections. He had to have a fender repainted under warranty because the fender was literally missing clear coat, before he even drive it off my lot. Also many many panels are mis aligned and the headlights are also mis aligned, whereas my Camaro, seems flawless in terms of craftmanship.

Overall, I will say that I still do like my Camaro more than the new mustangs, pound for pound, but I will say, the new mustang is an absolute monster in terms of straight line velocity.

I would argue that with the proper suspension upgrades his car would be better on the track, and I would also argue that I need to dump some money into my motor to keep up with his if he did upgrade the suspension.

It will be interesting to see sales figures in the next few years regarding mustang vs Camaro, because I think Ford built a winner with the new mustang. Still not enough to switch me though, even though I get D plan because I sell mustangs lol. It was however enough to switch my dad (worked for GM for 20+ years, owned countless camaros). Which I thought was interesting.

Pointless post I know but I just wanted to voice my opinion lol.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2269
Size:  164.6 KB
VMax ported throttle body
Torquemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:08 PM   #2
Repooh
Certified: Slow

Drives: 2014 Ashen Grey 1SS/RS LS3
Thanks for sharing! I have a 2014 myself and I was wondering how the new mustangs compare. I know a lot of Camaro guys think mustang sucks or whatever but I like them. I am a CAR guy (with no loyalty to a certain brand or style) so I give ford props on their product. I just like the Camaro overall more than the mustang (still a great car). I tend to get thumbs up from Mustang owners as much as Camaro owners.

I know one thing is for sure though, you and your dad have some beautiful cars!

2014 Ashen Grey Camaro 1SS/RS LS3
Winter Vehicle- 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
Repooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:17 PM   #3
Torquemonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repooh View Post
Thanks for sharing! I have a 2014 myself and I was wondering how the new mustangs compare. I know a lot of Camaro guys think mustang sucks or whatever but I like them. I am a CAR guy (with no loyalty to a certain brand or style) so I give ford props on their product. I just like the Camaro overall more than the mustang (still a great car). I tend to get thumbs up from Mustang owners as much as Camaro owners.

I know one thing is for sure though, you and your dad have some beautiful cars!
Thank you! Much appreciated... We always buy things matching for the most part, at the same time lol.

I agree completely, I'm completely unbiased in any way, I'm just a true blue car guy lol. Both are very, very nice cars and will make whoever is driving them EXTREMELY happy lol.

I've never thought of one as "better" than the other, especially with the redesign on the 16s... It is getting harder and harder to have a clear winner in that segment. It all boils down to personal preference. I've always had an open mind when it comes to buying cars and I've never bought into the whole brand loyalty bull crap haha. I'm going to buy what I want, not what someone says is "cool" lol.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:25 PM   #4
clarkkent

Drives: 2013 2SS (sold)
Thanks for the impressions, I see them driving around and think they're pretty cool too
Old 06-27-2016, 12:26 PM   #5
Torquemonster

And for the record, the old man LOVES his mustang lol. So it all boils down to what each individual likes.

He also blew my doors in during a friendly race lol. thought I'd throw that out there
Old 06-27-2016, 01:32 PM   #6
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Ford has FINALLY started to up the ante and address the Mustang's short comings seriously. They are still way behind the camaro, but it's a step in the right direction.
In Randy Pobst's comparison between this Mustang and a Gen5 Camaro 1LE he likes what Ford has done but there's still lots of body roll, the brakes still need improvement, and the Mustang is still harsh, floaty and unpredictable.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:24 PM   #7
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Drives: A 2016 Challenger R/T M6 STP
[QUOTE=Torquemonster;9174009] For example, the mustang speedometer says "ground speed," as if there were any other type of speed for cars lol.

It's there just in case someone hop's in thinking it's the P 51 Fighter plane.

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:29 PM   #8
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquemonster View Post
the maro

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:35 PM   #9
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Nice story OP. I like both cars as well, so I keep up with both.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:39 PM   #10
IOMCamaroSS
#PrimeCamaros

Drives: IOM '10 Camaro SS
cool story bro.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:52 PM   #11
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
My neighbor got one. Looks awesome, but despite good luck with most Fords I have bought, I could never own another Mustang...
Old 06-27-2016, 03:09 PM   #12
GossipSquirrelJelena
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT. Supercharged.
Funny but I found things to be the polar opposite of your opinion. I really liked my 2011 2SS/RSs exterior styling. But quality was shabby at best with the SS. The paint would flake off the front bumper, fenders and hood. The Mustang on the other hand has been a rock solid car for me. Straight seams, good paint and no squeaks on the interior. I felt like the Mustangs interior was a big step up from the SS also. I didn't like the miles of cheap plastic. I didn't like the ergonomics of the SS. At 6'4 my head would hit the sun roof. If I didn't sit in a gangster recline. I found the seats to be very uncomfortable in the SS. The premium seats in the Mustang on the other hand are luxury car nice. I really did like the cool roof line of the Camaro from the outside. Very sharp styling! Just didn't like it from the inside. I think when you try to compare quality in mass produced cars like the Mustang and Camaro. Quality is luck of the draw. You might get a winner or a stinker with either one.

Last edited by GossipSquirrelJelena; 06-28-2016 at 12:22 AM.
GossipSquirrelJelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:14 PM   #13
Repooh
Certified: Slow

Drives: 2014 Ashen Grey 1SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GossipSquirrelJelena View Post
Funny but I found things to be the polar opposite of your opinion. I really liked my 2011 2SS/RSs exterior styling. But quality was shabby at best with the SS. The paint would flake off the front bumper, fenders and hood. The Mustang on the other hand has been a rock solid car for me. Straight seams, good paint and no squeaks on the interior. I felt like the Mustangs interior was a big step up from the SS also. I didn't like the miles of cheap plastic. I didn't like the ergonomics of the SS. At 6'4 my head would hit the sun room. If I didn't sit in a gangster recline. II found the seats to be very uncomfortable in the SS. The premium seats in the Mustang on the other hand are luxury car nice. I really did like the cool roof line of the Camaro from the outside. Very sharp styling! Just didn't like it from the inside. I think when you try to compare quality in mass produced cars like the Mustang and Camaro. Quality is luck of the draw. You might get a winner or a stinker with either one.
That's the truth!

2014 Ashen Grey Camaro 1SS/RS LS3
Winter Vehicle- 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
Repooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:30 PM   #14
jcampos

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS
The new Rustangs really are beautiful cars, I like the 2016. However, I do not like the fact that every 5.0 owner has to rev next to me and instigate a street race. Its almost to the point that if I see one on the highway I purposely avoid them to prevent from witnessing their childish mannerism. I actually had two this weekend do that me, idk why but it makes me so angry.

Anyways OP, your father has a nice looking car. Like I said I really do like them!
jcampos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2016 mustang, mustang gt