Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-15-2020, 09:20 AM   #1
uvraise

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS Convertible
Blend Door Fixed!

So, I made this repair yesterday. It wasn't fun, at all. It took me about 5 hours soup to nuts. I used the link below as a guide to do the repair. Thanks to 737mechanic for the video! If you're going to do this repair yourself, I suggest you watch this video.

A few things to be prepared for.

Remove the front seat:[/U][/B] This takes about 5-10 minutes, definitely worth the time. Lay something down to pad your back, trust me on this.

Remove the air duct: This can be done before or after the BCM (Body Control Module), it's easier to do with the BCM removed, you have to disconnect the BCM harnesses, drop the BCM, then remove the duct.

Remove the BCM: I removed the duct first, it was a little bit of a fight, but it came out. The removal of the BCM isn't rocket science, but becareful of the release clips on each of the harnesses, broke one with just my finger nail.

Remove the blend door actuator: This is just two small screws, takes a minute.

Cut your opening: 737mechanic used a "Hot Knife", an improvised exacto knife blade to a small single probe soldering iron. I used a double probe soldering iron with a tip a ground down to a knife like sharpness. This is definitely the way to go. It was fast, controllable and accurate. The biggest advantage to it was you don't need to worry about hitting the coil/core just behind the access point, unless you jam the hot knife through, your're not going to damage to coil/core. This life less than an eight of an inch space to fill in.

Remove the newly cut piece: This will take a little finesse. The hot knife works great, but there was a couple of spots where the molten plastic, re-adhered to itself. It will come out, but be careful not to break it! Clean up the edge of the cut, if you use a hot knife, on both the removed piece and the vehicle.

Install the new blend door: I bought a new door from RoackAuto. It was under $20 for the door and delivery. If you set the new blend door and the white actuator adapter piece in just right, it'll allow you to carefully install the removed piece and catch that end, for the reinstall.

Install the removed piece: This is where I had a shit ton of problems! I couldn't get the piece to sit back in either with or without the new blend door. After a bit of really looking at the piece, on my 2015 anyway, there's two locations within the mold of the removed piece (inner ans outer), that need to join to get it back in. The two locations are a channel design. I couldn't get it. So being an HVAC guy, I determined I could remove the inner channel, without it losing any function of the repair. I took an exacto knife and carefully cut the inner channel off completely. The piece went right in and fit great after doing this. I was able to set the new door as stated above and install the removed piece.

Seal the repair: I used black silicone sealant to do this. I figured if it breaks again, I can just cut the silicone out, remove the old door and so on. I sealed around the entire removed piece, not just where I cut, just to be sure.

Set the actuator: This was a little bit of a PITA. I temporarily re-installed the BCM harnesses to do this. With the blend door actuator harness reinstalled, take note of the rotation of the shaft in relationship to the position of the blend door. If I remember, when the temp dial is turned to heat, the blend door should be in the down position. Remove the harnesses from the BCM.

Install the blend door actuator: Install actuator on the alignment post and reinstall the two screws and harness.

Reinstall the BCM and air duct: This was another difficult step for me, until I figured out a way to do it in the right order. If you fully install the BCM, the duct is next to impossible to reinstall without breaking something You'll notice when you remove the plastic BCM module from the metal mounting plate that the module itself is within a plastic framework. Remove the BCM from this frame and just reinstall the frame on the metal bracket first. Next, install the air duct with the hex head screw loosely installed. This will aloow you to install the BCM and harnesses with wiggle room. Slide the BCM up from the bottom until it clicks into place, into the plastic frame that was installed to the metal bracket. Next install all of the BCM harnesses. Tighten up the hex head screw and install the torx screw.

If you happen to check the operation of the repair before you reinstall the drivers seat, you'll get a "Service Airbag" notification on the DIC. It's because the drivers seat airbag can't be found by the system. This goes away after the seat is reinstalled.

I hope these tips help someone to make the repair a little easier. If anyone has any questions, feel free tom ask. I didn't take any pics or video as there's enough out there. I thought I'd just give my experience to help others.
By the way, the repair works awesome!

2015 SS2/RS, SCT Tune (Dynosteve), Vitesse Throttle Controller, Vararam VR-DRX CAI, Vararam Power Wedge TBS, Granatelli Performance MAF

Last edited by uvraise; 04-15-2020 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Forgot the link!
uvraise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 09:33 AM   #2
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Great writeup, but sure wish you were able to take pics while doing this.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 12:48 PM   #3
uvraise

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman View Post
Great writeup, but sure wish you were able to take pics while doing this.
I was able to, it's just there's multiple videos and pics already showing how to do it.

I just added the link to the video.

2015 SS2/RS, SCT Tune (Dynosteve), Vitesse Throttle Controller, Vararam VR-DRX CAI, Vararam Power Wedge TBS, Granatelli Performance MAF
Old 04-15-2020, 03:21 PM   #4
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
Thank you for taking the time to write this up, though I don't currently have a problem with my 2014 does not mean I will not in the future. I printed off your directions and made note of the video... just in case! Again, thank you

Larry
Old 04-15-2020, 11:49 PM   #5
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by uvraise View Post
I was able to, it's just there's multiple videos and pics already showing how to do it.

I just added the link to the video.

Thanks. Maybe they can make this a sticky?
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 03:56 AM   #6
'10CamaroDude
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
ANOTHER POST ON THIS?

So not new...
'10CamaroDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 06:20 AM   #7
mbesman
Great White

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by '10CamaroDude View Post
ANOTHER POST ON THIS?
So not new...
Another Jackoff..... So not new

Guy tries to help in what is obviously a common problem that's extremely expensive to repair. He goes out of his way to explain in great detail what the video may not cover and someone's got to be a @##@ about it. Never fails.

Great write up OP!
Old 04-16-2020, 07:22 AM   #8
CamaroBarb
Banned

Drives: cheby Camaro
Good post, can never get enough info on what works to get this nasty task done right. I'm still confused on how you clock the actuator to the new door when you are done changing it. How did you set it up? Did you disconnect the battery before removing the BCM? The dealer is telling me it should automatically reset the actuator to the door when you hook the battery back up but I'm not convinced that's correct because the look on their faces. Like we really don't know but if it breaks we'll mess with it until we break it look. GOT WALLET?
CamaroBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 01:56 PM   #9
ElderJ

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT
Any and all info regarding this issue is warranted and appreciated.
My current plan for dealing with this is to do all within my power to never adjust the air flow dials. Winter wasn't that big a deal since I just left it on bi-directional heat (feet and windshield). Summer will be the real test. How long can I endure the heat with just open windows...?

2014 LT Auto V6 with 51k on the clock.
ElderJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 06:34 PM   #10
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderJ View Post
Any and all info regarding this issue is warranted and appreciated.
My current plan for dealing with this is to do all within my power to never adjust the air flow dials. Winter wasn't that big a deal since I just left it on bi-directional heat (feet and windshield). Summer will be the real test. How long can I endure the heat with just open windows...?

2014 LT Auto V6 with 51k on the clock.
Don't think that method will matter. If I understand correctly the actuator cycles every time you open the door. Someone correct me if I've got this wrong.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:20 PM   #11
CamaroBarb
Banned

Drives: cheby Camaro
Just for grins I pulled the HVAC fuse for 1 min then put it back in with the key off. When I put it back in all the doors moved through their full motion re calibrating their position. I have no idea if this will head off trouble in the future but its worth a shot. If you have a advanced scanner you can see all the door positions like in the video above but without the factory manual to guide you its useless. So far I haven't found any good info on how the system works and how the actuators feedback to set the doors limits.
CamaroBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:03 PM   #12
uvraise

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbesman View Post
Another Jackoff..... So not new

Guy tries to help in what is obviously a common problem that's extremely expensive to repair. He goes out of his way to explain in great detail what the video may not cover and someone's got to be a @##@ about it. Never fails.

Great write up OP!
Thanks! You're correct, there's always one!

Old 04-16-2020, 08:09 PM   #13
uvraise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBarb View Post
Good post, can never get enough info on what works to get this nasty task done right. I'm still confused on how you clock the actuator to the new door when you are done changing it. How did you set it up? Did you disconnect the battery before removing the BCM? The dealer is telling me it should automatically reset the actuator to the door when you hook the battery back up but I'm not convinced that's correct because the look on their faces. Like we really don't know but if it breaks we'll mess with it until we break it look. GOT WALLET?
I didn't disconnect the battery. I knew on install that the blend door was basically vertical. So, I temporarily hooked up the BCM and the blend door actuator, loosely. I cycled through the temp dial and noticed the actuator turn to the down, or same position as the blend door, when it was on the heat setting. So that's the position I installed the actuator. I don't know if it makes a difference, but that's how I installed it and it works fine.

Old 04-16-2020, 08:11 PM   #14
uvraise

Thanks!