Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-06-2013, 08:14 AM   #1
KevTN

Drives: not sure
thinking of ordering a 13 Camaro but have some questions please...

hello folks...I am thinking of ordering a 13 2LT Inferno Orange Camaro..This would become my daily driver...

I would really like the convertible but have read about the 5th rib issue. When I was at the dealers lot I talked with the service manager he said they have had three cars come back for some adjustments but nothing major. My mind is screaming more moving parts and a top to replace. One of the reasons I would like the convertible is I am having to sell my motorcycle due to shoulder issues and i really like the open feeling.

Those of you who have the convertible how do you like it? Any nagging issues that bug you? How is the wind noise with the top up? Any comments you would like to share?

If I go with the coupe I will get a sunroof. My current sunroof is crazy loud to the point I dont even use it. How is it in the Camaro?

i am looking at adding the RS pakage and navigation. Those of you who have this feature how do you like it? Is it fairly intuitive when putting in a destination?

How is the bluetooth for phone calls and streaming music?

I have a 13 y/o daughter who is 5'9" and still growing. What do yall think of the backseat? (ummm for her to ride in!!!) {sorry couldnt think of any other way to phrase that question lol}

I know and understand that what I am asking subjective opinions and each person is not the same, but I would to from those who actually own the Camaro then just read about it or ask the salesman.

thank you for your input...
KevTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
Hitman84

Drives: 2022 Rapid Blue 2SS 1LE
IMO putting someone 5'9 in the camaros back seat has the potential to be cruel and unusual punishment! For that person AND the person in the front seat. Lol

Also you better decide soon, the 19th is this years cut off date for ordering and with inferno orange being discontinued its very possible it won't be available right to the cut off
Hitman84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:27 AM   #3
Scooter11

Drives: 2013 SW 2LS
Well, the sunroof is decent on the camaro, you won't find it annoying or overly loud. However, the back seat is just plain cramped. I'm 6 ft and have to slouch considerably to get my head under the roofline, which causes another problem because leg room is already nonexistent. I don't own the convertible, but I own a 2013 LS and use it as my daily driver, and I love it. Despite what many say it is practical, I use it to carry golf clubs daily, to drive (smaller) friends and to cruise around town. Gas mileage on the 2013 is pretty good as well as I have hit the advertised 30 mpg highway, but around town that # is constantly hovering between 16 and 18 mpg (but that probably has something to do with the way I drive). Oh, and the Bluetooth is wonderful. it is simple to program a phone or other device, and all the controls are easily accessible on the wheel for use while driving. To stream music though, I use the 3.5 mm aux jack. IOM is one of my favorite colors, and is the one Id have if it weren't for my summit white, and from what I here this will be the last year its in production. Finally, all my nagging issues are only applicable to the LS model (tap shift, lack of rear LSD, and axle ratio) so your LT/RS should be a great buy. Good luck and enjoy!
Scooter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:54 AM   #4
OPP

Drives: 2018 MBM ZL1 Auto
Sunroof works great and is very quiet. But having a sunroof eliminates about 2 inches of roof height so your daughter will be miserable.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
Algeron

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible, 1998 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevTN View Post
hello folks...I am thinking of ordering a 13 2LT Inferno Orange Camaro..This would become my daily driver...

Those of you who have the convertible how do you like it? Any nagging issues that bug you? How is the wind noise with the top up? Any comments you would like to share?
I have an 11 vert. I love the car. However, I have always heard wind noise from the rear right quarter glass. My opinion was that is was a vert, and wind noise was expected. However, I just experienced a top issue where a small hole was worn in the top (See this thread for info - http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286622), and I have an appointment for this coming Wednesday to have the top replaced and the issue resolved.

That being said - If I had to do it all over again... I would still buy the vert. Every Camaro I have owned has had t-tops, and a sunroof is not a good t-top replacement. Even with the current knowledge that the roof replacement may not resolve all my issues, and I may have the car in the shop again this year, I just don't think I would be 100% happy with the coupe + sunroof.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:34 AM   #6
Thirsty

Drives: Inferno Orange SS
Love the convertible

Quote:

I would really like the convertible but have read about the 5th rib issue. When I was at the dealers lot I talked with the service manager he said they have had three cars come back for some adjustments but nothing major. My mind is screaming more moving parts and a top to replace. One of the reasons I would like the convertible is I am having to sell my motorcycle due to shoulder issues and i really like the open feeling.

If I go with the coupe I will get a sunroof. My current sunroof is crazy loud to the point I dont even use it. How is it in the Camaro?

i am looking at adding the RS pakage and navigation. Those of you who have this feature how do you like it? Is it fairly intuitive when putting in a destination?

I have a 13 y/o daughter who is 5'9" and still growing. What do yall think of the backseat? (ummm for her to ride in!!!) {sorry couldnt think of any other way to phrase that question lol}

I know and understand that what I am asking subjective opinions and each person is not the same, but I would to from those who actually own the Camaro then just read about it or ask the salesman.

Due to a strange set of circumstances, I owned a 2012 SS Convertible for a few months last year. I traded it in on a 2013 2SS Convertible. Both inferno orange. The 2012 had a manual transmission and the 2013 has a automatic. The information is from a post I made last year after driving the 2013 home from the dealer...

"A couple of observations on the short ride home about the new car. The convertible top folds down differently. It is wrapped around the frame much tighter when down. It doesn't flap around in the wind when down like the 2012, very nice improvement. The rear view mirror can be adjusted to see out the back window, excellent improvement. The Chevy My Link is very nice and easy to configure, excellent improvement. Having the rear camera on the Chevy My Link provides a bigger picture that is bright enough to clearly see with the top down, excellent improvement.

The 2013 is an automatic and the 2012 was a manual. The 2012 provided much more sound and the manual was fun to drive at times. The automatic is too quiet for me. I have an aftermarket exhaust in my future. I’m looking at a Borla cat back sport model. According to Borla the ATAK provides greater than 95 decibels (legal limit) and I want to be able to talk with the top down and/or listen to the radio. Feedback or opinions are welcome on this. I’ve made no decision and I’m still shopping around.

Without the feedback from the exhaust, the tap controls on the automatic are not as much fun. I’m thinking the sport mode with aftermarket exhaust will be more fun."

I had the Borla ATAK exhaust installed within a week of picking up the 2013. Excellent addition. I am so glad I installed the new exhaust system.

I drove my Camaro almost every day to and from work this winter. I have the ground effects package so there were a couple of days where I would have been pushing snow so I left it in the garage and took the Subaru (AKA The Pope Mobile - After driving a Camaro, I feel like I'm sitting up high surrounded by glass in the Subaru). The top is made of thick material so you do not get a cold draft off of it, even on the coldest days.

I used the MyLink for streaming music one time. It worked as expected but it was just an option I generally do not use. I used the USB, FM, and the satellite radio options the most.

As previously mentioned, there is little to no useful leg room in the back seat. Also, the back seat is very windy with the top down. I would not want to ride back there for very long at speed.

I have had no problems with the convertible top. It does squeak once in awhile but that seems to go away after I cycle it down and back up. Overall, very pleased with how it works.

I think I answered all of your questions. If you would like pictures or additional information, let me know and I'll answer what I can.
Foose Speed Black Wheels
Borla ATAK Catback Exhaust
Thirsty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
Fiveg56

Drives: -
Sounds like you need a sedan.
Fiveg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #8
H0peful1

Drives: --
Quote:

Irt the convertible top, my understanding is the top design changed and the 2013s have been fine. We've had our top down a few times, on highway & surface streets, with no problems when cycling, driving, etc. This is our first convertible and as you said, we love the open feel. We haven't used the tonneau yet, and have no wear or creasing issues. My son in the back clearly gets more wind than we do upfront, but he likes it. Some say the windscreens help. There's enough legroom for him as long as the front seats aren't all the way back. I'd suggest a fam test drive to see what you guys think of space, noise, etc, as it's subjective. You can check the convertible forum for more info.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133

We have the nav, and are glad we got it. It could be more intuitive, but the manual & use will acclimate you. Try it out on a test drive!

Bluetooth for my older iPhone is flawless. I've read that some iPhone 5 users have had connectivity issues, but when I was considering upgrading, it seems the 5's issues aren't specific only to Camaros. Haven't tried streaming.

Inferno Orange is one of our favorite colors. The gold accents in the sun are gorgeous. Given it's being discontinued, it's a great choice! HTH
H0peful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #9
KevTN

Thanks for all the input. a family test drive is in the near future...
Old 04-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #10
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
Convertible also means the back seat is very skinny. You won't get two people back ther very easily. Top down there will be plenty of headroom though. Lol. I don't know if there is more headroom with the top up than in a coupe though.
MikeSVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #11
KevTN

i guess i forgot to mention..13 will have her own car in just a couple of yrs and our travel is done in an Explorer, but for shorter trips less than 2 hrs is more what i am thinking...
Old 04-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #12
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Putting anyone over the age of 10 in the back seat for anything more than a quick trip to the store is cruel, IMO.

The sunroof is nice, but you do lose headroom vs the reverse Mohawk roof on the no sunroof models. It is loud with it just cracked open at freeway speed, but quieter fully opened.

IOM is my favorite color, they are nice.

The RS package comes with low profile summer tires of staggered sizes, so if you're getting a daily driver consider your winter needs, lack of ability to rotate and harsher (slightly) ride before deciding. The 20" tires on the RS are more expensive to replace when the time comes as well.

Good luck with your purchase.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #13
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter11 View Post
Finally, all my nagging issues are only applicable to the LS model (tap shift, lack of rear LSD, and axle ratio) so your LT/RS should be a great buy.
No LSD is true for all V6 automatics, not just the 2LS. The 1LS (which is a manual, obviously) does have a LSD.
Wishlist: ACS T5 Splitter -- Hood Vent Mod -- Footwell/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #14
11VicConSSMan

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
I have to say I love my Vert..... I have had no top issues or kid issues (15,14) sitting in the back seat. But as mentioned above, you just cant have the front seat back all the way.
11VicConSSMan is offline   Reply With Quote