Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 01-23-2015, 10:12 PM   #57
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE View Post
Thanks man. Coolant stays at about 205 F all day. I'm not sure on the thermostat.

Oil temp is read at a sandwich plate above the oil filter.
Oil filter gets the hot oil, right? If so, these are great numbers. I was wondering about the oil cooler's thermostat; mine barely starts opening at 212, for instance, so it could never stay at as low as yours.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:37 PM   #58
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
Thought I would share this: in concern for oil temps while tracking, I sent a oil sample to be analyzed for heat damage and the general condition of the oil. This sample included 5 track days with oil temps around 280-290 and 3300 miles on the oil. The results showed that the oil had no signs of heat damage and maintained its viscosity. Additives package in the oil were still at good levels providing adequate anti-wear protection.

Thoughts/discussion...
Thank you for sharing this!

If it's not too much trouble, can you upload the actual report?

If we had a few more lab from others as well, reports confirming these findings, this could be a game changer, well at least for me anyways.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:43 PM   #59
AG1LE

Drives: '14 1LE
Quote:
Guys,

Just wanted to give you a heads up that I ran my car at the track last weekend with the new dual oil coolers, mounted to either side of the radiator, with custom shrouds to suck cool air through them. The results:

Before the oil cooler upgrade: 290 F oil temp in 3 laps, then had to back off
After the oil cooler upgrade: 220 F max oil temp, while running hard the entire weekend!

This set up kicks ass. I'll write it up when I get some time.

BTW, I'm running Shaeffer 5W/50.

Looking forward to seeing this write-up!
AG1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:22 PM   #60
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
Thank you for sharing this!

If it's not too much trouble, can you upload the actual report?

If we had a few more lab from others as well, reports confirming these findings, this could be a game changer, well at least for me anyways.
As requested, I dont have my oil cooler installed yet so this report is for a bone stock oil system. I'm going to hold off longer on the install and get some more documentation on the oil condition. Not sure if I'm going to switch oil viscosity at this time or not. I have some 0/40 but may just continue using 5/30 at the next oil change.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf oil report.pdf (151.9 KB, 139 views)
Old 01-29-2015, 08:45 PM   #61
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
As requested, I dont have my oil cooler installed yet so this report is for a bone stock oil system. I'm going to hold off longer on the install and get some more documentation on the oil condition. Not sure if I'm going to switch oil viscosity at this time or not. I have some 0/40 but may just continue using 5/30 at the next oil change.
It would be kind of cool to try out an other oil this time, but with the same engine mods(stock oil cooler, etc) as before intact, same oil change mileage interval, and then compare the oil analysis reports side to side, regardless if they all turn out to be "good".
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:33 PM   #62
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
It would be kind of cool to try out an other oil this time, but with the same engine mods(stock oil cooler, etc) as before intact, same oil change mileage interval, and then compare the oil analysis reports side to side, regardless if they all turn out to be "good".
I thought about that and at the moment I'm not sure what im going to do. Been thinking about it a lot. I will be changing the oil before track season but am going to keep running the same oil through the winter, which might be another 1k miles and then I'll retest to see where I'm at with the TBN (basically the life of the oil) I guess the main thing to take from this is the oil can withstand the extreme temp and come out like a champ.

My thoughts about viscosity in regards to the oil condition is the 0/40 has more zinc, possibly other differences but I doubt it's too far from the 5/30 additive package, so really your looking at the film strength. Even in that aspect the 5/30 is working, at least in my engine, showing very low levels of bearing material so the oil wedge is capable in the 5/30 form.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:19 PM   #63
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Thought I would share this: in concern for oil temps while tracking, I sent a oil sample to be analyzed for heat damage and the general condition of the oil. This sample included 5 track days with oil temps around 280-290 and 3300 miles on the oil. The results showed that the oil had no signs of heat damage and maintained its viscosity. Additives package in the oil were still at good levels providing adequate anti-wear protection.

Thoughts/discussion...
I've ran two different oil reports after using two different oils for track events. The first was Mobil1 5w-30, the second was Pennzoil 10w-30 (couldn't find 5w-30 in my area). A lot of the people in my club swear by the Pennzoil, but according to the wear report the Viscosting was on the low end of the acceptable range, while the Mobil1 was on the high end of the viscosity range. For track use I rather be on the high end. Granted I did not take a before sample of each oil, so I do not know what is normal for new oil of each type. It could be possible that the Pennzoil is just a lighter oil, or it could mean that the Pennzoil thinned out more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Typo 15/50
Suggestion on oil for LSA engine?
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:37 PM   #64
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
Suggestion on oil for LSA engine?
OE spec oil for a GM LS engine is never a bad choice. In Texas when your track day is 80 in the morning and 108 in the afternoon I would run 15/50 Mobil 1.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:18 AM   #65
rockrau

Drives: 2010 2ss red LS3
Found at Walmart Mobil 1 15w 50 5qt jug $26.68
Pedders Pace Car Kit with ZL1 sway bar conversion & camber bolt kit.Lowered 1.5". 1LE tires & wheels. CAI air intake. Anvil CF rear spoiler.MGW shifter. 1 7/8" Kooks LT headers & HF cats.V-Max ported TB. Tuned.
rockrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:37 AM   #66
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Guys,

Just wanted to give you a heads up that I ran my car at the track last weekend with the new dual oil coolers, mounted to either side of the radiator, with custom shrouds to suck cool air through them. The results:

Before the oil cooler upgrade: 290 F oil temp in 3 laps, then had to back off
After the oil cooler upgrade: 220 F max oil temp, while running hard the entire weekend!

This set up kicks ass. I'll write it up when I get some time.

BTW, I'm running Shaeffer 5W/50.
Also looking forward to seeing this set up as I have some track days ahead of me and want to be sure to get that oil as cool as I can.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:06 PM   #67
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd in Vancouver View Post
Also looking forward to seeing this set up as I have some track days ahead of me and want to be sure to get that oil as cool as I can.
Sorry for the delay guys, I am racing to install my 6-piston brakes in the front before Thunderhill this weekend. I'll write up as soon as I can climb under the car and snap some pics.

Todd
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:12 PM   #68
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
What 6 pistons are you running? ZL1/CTS-V? I love mine...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2015, 12:19 PM   #69
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
What 6 pistons are you running? ZL1/CTS-V? I love mine...

Yep, I've got one rotor and caliper set installed so far and it's going like clockwork. Cannot wait to hit the track with them this weekend.

Question for you- the brake line taps into the lower side of the caliper rather than the upper side. The stock SS caliper had the brake line attaching up high on the caliper. I just want to make sure that I don't have the passenger and driver's side calipers swapped. The extra-long Goodridge stainless brake lines look like they'll reach just fine like this.
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:38 PM   #70
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
I don't recall where that hook up is but as long as the cross over tube is down and the bleeders are up I believe you'll be fine. Also the ears are uneven so it shouldn't clear the rotor if you have them switched.