Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 11-14-2009, 12:24 PM   #1
Dentyneice

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss
rear differential fluid drain/fill plug location

Anyone know where the drain and fill spots are for changing out the rear differential fluid? I see 2 additional plugs by the oil drain plug but don't know what those are
Old 11-15-2009, 06:58 AM   #2
FirstLSK
Dude, I love my car !!!!

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS white rally
View on the picture is from the drivers side rear wheel...

Just use your 3/8 ratchet.

Attached Images

Old 11-15-2009, 11:23 AM   #3
2SSjack

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro;
The plugs do not use sealant but do have a rubber gasket. Be carefull they don't slip off when you clean the muck off of them.
2SSjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:36 AM   #4
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Hi, I am trying to change my differential fluid and don't seem to have the correct Allen or Torx heads. Can you please let me know what size they are and if the drain size is the same as the fill plug?

Thanks!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:34 AM   #5
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Ok, got it! Thanks guys! it was the end of the 3/8" ratchet (didn't understand the answer was already in this thread!)! Torque: 24 lbs. My service guy had also gotten back to me. Easy change to do, even with the Zoomer's exhaust!

Thanks again!
Michael J.
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Old 12-14-2009, 11:25 AM   #6
amphi

Drives: 2SS Imperial Blue
How much needs to go into the differential? exactly one quart? or one quart plus 2.5oz of friction modifier. I don't understand the manual very well. Seems they want you to add 2.5oz to the specified capacity, but would it then overfill? Thanks.
amphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:27 PM   #7
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphi View Post
How much needs to go into the differential? exactly one quart? or one quart plus 2.5oz of friction modifier. I don't understand the manual very well. Seems they want you to add 2.5oz to the specified capacity, but would it then overfill? Thanks.
Just the 1 qt. total. You can't overfill it as it will just run out the fill hole. If you use Royal Purple, it already has the friction modifier in it. If you use something else, I suggest putting the friction modifier in first (since it comes in a very small container) then adding your Diff oil last.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:54 AM   #8
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstLSK View Post
View on the picture is from the drivers side rear wheel...

Just use your 3/8 ratchet.

Hmm, is there any special instrument neccessary for getting the axle fluid into that fill plug?
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:02 AM   #9
camaro52010
Camaro4ever

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS, 1978 Z28 Camaro
The 1 qt bottle will fit into the space horizontally as you squeeze the bottle, no pump needed, use the whole qt fluid will just start to run out the fill hole if car is level, reinstall plug, don't over tighten, you are done. 45 minutes.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:54 PM   #10
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro52010 View Post
The 1 qt bottle will fit into the space horizontally as you squeeze the bottle, no pump needed, use the whole qt fluid will just start to run out the fill hole if car is level, reinstall plug, don't over tighten, you are done. 45 minutes.
Ok, thanks a million.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote