Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 08-04-2013, 10:14 PM   #1
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
The 1LE Begs for Plasti Dip

Working out it the yard, a never ending task at my house, I cut myself with a big shears and wound up in the ER with stitches. So I decided to start playing around with Plasti Dip to pass a Sunday afternoon. I was forbidden to contiue working in the yard.

Plasti Dip is cool stuff, but I never did anything with it before now. The 1LE is begging for Plasti Dip. The flat black on hood, splitter, wheels etc all match right up with the color of Plasti Dip on the base color.

Two great threads on the topic:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147795

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192591

For starters, I wanted to dip the Bow tie centers, the tail light bezels, and the Camaro badge on the sides. I also like the drip rails black on the 1LE and I did want a non-RS 1LE to save a few bucks, but the Camaro I liked best had it, so I am going for a touch of the non-RS look.

If you haven't worked with Plasti Dip before, read up on it first, it takes some practice in some applications. But I love if you make a mistake or get tired of it, just peel it off. I already went with black Gorilla locks and valve caps, so my 1LE is getting closer to the final look I want. Later I want to do the gill slits, not sure if Plasti Dip is the right thing for that job. I also want to add ZL1 side skirts.

The drip rails did not turn out so well. The tape on the inside rail pulled on the finished part of the drip rail. I think to make that work I need to spray the dip on thick and remove the tape while the dip is still tacky. I did try to repair it, but not completely happy with the result up close.

My results of my first Plasti Dip project:

Last edited by Fraxum; 08-05-2013 at 07:29 AM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
I have been thinking about doing something similar to the 2014 1LE I will order in the next month or so. I love 2 tone paint jobs and thought it might be easy to do a semi 2 tone by Plasti Dipping the roof and trunk lid to match the hood. Plus as you said if you don't like it you can peal it off and try again. Thanks for sharing your experience!
Egon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:39 PM   #3
t&t moyer
It's all hers.

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Yeah the blacked out tail light bezels are a great change and adding ZL1 rockers is also a nice touch too when you get to it. I'm thinking I should have done the factory Camaro lettering on my fenders like yours but instead went with ones from Emblem Pros and I'm not real happy with them so they are coming off. I might either source a factory set done in black. Also to break up things up a little I added a black license plate bracket and bought a black bow tie for the rear but haven't put it on yet. The possibilities are endless!

Looking good so far!!
t&t moyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:07 AM   #4
Wildcherry13

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS IOM 1LE
I thought I was the only one that liked the the non-rs roof rails black as opposed to painted. I like the black antenna as well! Good stuff there! Hope it comes out good!
Wildcherry13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:23 AM   #5
joshylife
lift.eat.money.sleep.

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
so when you sprayed it on the "camaro" lettering it just peeled off the body and stayed on the letters?
joshylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:51 AM   #6
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Looks real good
Old 08-05-2013, 02:21 AM   #7
BAPD77

Drives: 2013 Yellow ZL1/2015 Z51 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshylife View Post
so when you sprayed it on the "camaro" lettering it just peeled off the body and stayed on the letters?
^^^^^^***what he said? I wanna do this too but not sure how its done without removing letters.
BAPD77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:35 AM   #8
ZL1 Spoked

Drives: Camaro ZL1
looks sick only thing I dont like is the gas cap, looks weird

604 RWHP 602 LBS/TQ
ZL1 Spoked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:50 AM   #9
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
How did you do the fender letters?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:02 AM   #10
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
I did my heritage grill in Plastidip.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2521
Size:  240.3 KB
chevy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:00 AM   #11
WongBob
Dig Race?

Drives: '13 AGM 2SS/RS 1LE
I plastidipped the tail light bezels on mine. I would do the camaro emblems but I dont want to deal with removing and reinstalling them. You doing it with the letters on the car makes my brain melt. HOW!?

Looks great man!
Old 08-05-2013, 07:15 AM   #12
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshylife View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAPD77 View Post
^^^^^^***what he said? I wanna do this too but not sure how its done without removing letters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WongBob View Post
I plastidipped the tail light bezels on mine. I would do the camaro emblems but I dont want to deal with removing and reinstalling them. You doing it with the letters on the car makes my brain melt. HOW!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalRedTintcoat View Post
How did you do the fender letters?
This is the amazing part. You just tape off a block around the letters and spray 3 or 4 coats and let dry. The outside excess peels off because the letters form a break in the Plasti Dip. You lightly dig out the inside of the closed letters with a wooden toothpick.

The letters and taillight bezels are dead easy. The bow ties are a bit harder because of the chrome edge looks messy on the inside ridge of the chrome. The back one turned out pretty good, but I had to repair the front. I might redo that one. The drip rails are a mess. I will redo those after more PD practice. It is an art form with do overs.

My wife was horrified when she came home from furniture shopping with my oldest daughter and saw all the masking on the car. But my daughter caught on right away. I think we might Plasti Dip her entire 1998 Honda rust bucket.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:17 AM   #13
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 Spoked View Post
looks sick only thing I dont like is the gas cap, looks weird
Yea, that gas cap is an acquired taste. A little gaudy but I like it. It matches my strut caps!
Old 08-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #14
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy 3 View Post
I did my heritage grill in Plastidip.
Looks great! I have a Heritage grill left over from my last Camaro. Still not sure if I want to put it on.

Awesome bottom splitter!