Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 02-24-2017, 07:26 AM   #1
ZL1 TIBS

Drives: 1968 Camaro, 2012 ZL1
10 Spoke Renew

Just dropped my black 10 spoke wheels off at my painters shop this morning. I asked him to finish them as close to factory as he can. Well except he will actually apply color on the back side of the wheel as well. $50 to $75 per wheel and I should have them back in a week or so.
ZL1 TIBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:17 AM   #2
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
Why not powder coat them? More durable
Old 02-24-2017, 09:07 AM   #3
Mpsmith1

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE
Powder coating was one of the best things I ever did for my car. Paint was just too much to handle on a ten spoke wheel.

I'm sure they will look nice, though! Please post some pics!
Mpsmith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:16 AM   #4
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinman View Post
Why not powder coat them? More durable
Powder coating might be more of a durable finish but if you track your car at all powder coating can hurt you if a low temp process is not used. The heat and length of time held to cure powder coating can weaken the alloy material and weaken your wheel strength. If you don't track your car and just drive it for fun and car shows then I'm sure powder coating will not hurt you for your intended use.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:08 AM   #5
ZL1 TIBS

I was going to powdercoat and actually had a decent price quote. Then I did some research and found out that the high temperatures used to cure the powder can make the wheels more brittle. I don't track my car, but I don't want to do something to harm the wheels. We have some pretty nasty potholes here in SE PA and I don't want a wheel to fail.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:51 AM   #6
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
I don't track either but I went with powder coating based on the durability...You should be fine with a couple of coats of clear...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:05 AM   #7
ZL1 TIBS

I got them back the other day and I am very happy with them. Also got the BFG tires mounted. Pictures to come.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:32 AM   #8
Maiden69

Drives: 2020 Orange Crush 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
Powder coating might be more of a durable finish but if you track your car at all powder coating can hurt you if a low temp process is not used. The heat and length of time held to cure powder coating can weaken the alloy material and weaken your wheel strength. If you don't track your car and just drive it for fun and car shows then I'm sure powder coating will not hurt you for your intended use.
While I do understand this argument, 90% or more of the racing forged wheels in the market are powder coated. I heard in some cases that wheels have become brittle with the heat cycle, but don't say how the heating or at what temperature it was done. Normal powder coating stays around 400 degrees F, at that temperature the aluminum is not compromised, unless it is a cheap alloy.

I do understand that "be safe than sorry" though...
Maiden69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:41 AM   #9
Firemaro

Drives: 2015 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
is there definitive proof of the 10 spoke wheels failing after powder coating? I don't recall ever seeing any pictures of cracked/weakened wheels because of powder coating them. Maybe there are some examples floating around...I'd like to see what damage was attributed to the wheels that were powder coated. My original 10 spokes have held up well for 20k miles- no fading/paint chipping etc but I'm sure at some point they will begin to loose their luster and I'll be in the market for paint or powder coat.
Firemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:36 AM   #10
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
I meant the low temp powder coating, there have been a few discussions on this already on here talking about temps and premature aging
Old 03-16-2017, 07:32 PM   #11
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
FWIW Brian Tooley has told me that overheating aluminum valve heads over about 300 deg will significantly soften the aluminum alloy. And then the valves will beat the seats out of the aluminum heads if they are used again. He says if a cutting tool is used on them they will be much softer than before and he can tell they were overheated.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:44 PM   #12
E. Bryant
Gearhead

Drives: 2012 ZL1
If anyone wants to geek-out, scroll down to page 4 of this PDF:

http://www.aluminum.org/sites/defaul...2011-06-01.pdf

You'll see there a table that shows some effects of elevated temperature and time on 6061-T6 aluminum.

The effects are real; the question is whether the reduction in strength would cause an issue with respect to whatever design factor is built into the factory wheel.

To be safe, wheels, brake calipers, and other structural aluminum components really should be painted or powder-coated only via a low-temperature process.

2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 M6 - JRE 650 RWHP kit, AFCO heat exchanger, JPSS V4 aero, Z28 wheels for the twisties and Weld big-n-littles for the dragstrip.
11.193@128.13 in 515' DA
E. Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote