Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 01-07-2019, 01:12 PM   #1
MIDNIGHTANGEL
Back4Revenge

Drives: BLACK CAMARO
Send a message via AIM to MIDNIGHTANGEL Send a message via Yahoo to MIDNIGHTANGEL
S/C'd in Illinois Cant Pass Emissions.....

Quick question everyone, is this a complete tune problem, hardware, or collision of both?

Illinois (Schaumburg/Chicago) No Sniffer/Visual test just OBD code checking I can't pass.

3 Will appear not ready

Catalyst: Incomplete
Evaporative System: Incomplete
Oxygen Sensor: Incomplete

Word has it the V6 is a real b*tch to cycle lol.

I replaced the Sensor and it activated the 'Oxygen Sensor Heater' so I got 25% in progression.

I may have some exhaust leaks. other than that the hardware is smooth : Long tube headers / with hi flow cats all sensors in.

I did get a p0420 Catalyst System Efficiency below threshold

Any help would be FANTASTIC, because apparently I'm the only Supercharged 6 near chicago all these performance shops around here don't know anything for the 6.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:48 PM   #2
arussh

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs, 1990 iroc-z
evap will complete when u deal with other 2 codes.
You will have to complete the chevy drive test.
How to Perform a Basic Drive Cycle

Here are step-by-step instructions on how to perform a basic, yet very effective, drive cycle that will complete the readiness monitors for your vehicle's emissions control system.
Step One: How to Prepare Your Vehicle
  • Have the fuel tank between 30 and 70 percent full. Some systems, especially the EVAP system, need to have a specific level of fuel in order for the tests to be trusted. If the fuel tank is near empty or completely full, many of the basic tests will not run at all.
  • The vehicle must also have a good alternator and a strong battery. If you have to occasionally jump-start your vehicle, all of the memory from the powertrain control module (PCM) is erased, which includes the data that accurately tracks the results from various stages of the Drive Cycle. Also, if the battery is weak or undercharged, some of the most important tests will never run.
  • The vehicle must sit overnight, or for at least eight hours, in an environment that is less than 90° F. The engine temperature needs to match the air temperature in order to establish an accurate baseline for the testing. If the outside temperature is over 90° F, the fuel is too volatile and the EVAP system won't even try to run its tests, though some of the other emissions systems may run their tests.
  • The keys must be out of the ignition and all of the doors must be closed while the vehicle sits over night because many of the onboard computers "boot up" when the keys are in the ignition. Also, many of the onboard computers still run until all of the doors are closed after the vehicle is shut off and the keys are removed.
Step Two: The Cold Start
  • Start the vehicle and let it idle for two to three minutes in Park or Neutral. While it is idling, turn on the head lights, heater/defroster, and rear defroster for a three to five minute warm-up phase. Let the idle speed settle down to near the normal speed.
  • Next, put the vehicle in gear and drive through city streets at about 25 mph. Go up to about 35 to 40 mph a few times before slowing down to stop. Don't roll through the stop; be sure the car is really stopped, just like you learned in driving school. Accelerate from each stop in a normal fashion—not overly conservative, but not like you are competing in a drag race either.
Step Three: A Short Freeway Trip
  • After the vehicle has been cold started and driven for a few miles on city streets, the next step is to take it on a short freeway trip.
  • Enter the freeway on-ramp and allow enough room with respect to other vehicles so that you can do a 1/2 to 3/4 throttle acceleration up to freeway speed.
  • When you have accelerated up to around 60 mph and have safely merged into the flow of traffic, stay in the slow lane and maintain a steady speed of 55 to 60 mph for a minimum of five miles. Please use the cruise control to help you maintain speed.
  • Find a nice, long off ramp to exit from the freeway. As you exit, take your foot off of the accelerator and let the vehicle coast down until it stops under its own power as you complete your exit from the freeway. Do not use the foot brake and do not shift gears until the very end of this "coast down" phase.
Step Four: More City Driving
  • After you have completed the freeway trip, drive through the city streets for a repeat of the second part of Step Two.
  • Go up to about 35 to 40 mph a few times and then maintain a city speed of 25 mph before slowing down to stop. Again, don't roll through the stop and make sure to accelerate normally.
  • Pull in to a parking place and let the engine idle for one to two minutes and then shut it off.
Step Five: Have your Readiness Monitors Checked and Verified
  • Drive your vehicle to your regular shop and have them re-check your readiness monitors, present codes, and pending codes. They should do this as a courtesy and for free.
  • If all of your monitors are "ready" and there are no present or pending codes, then your vehicle has been properly repaired and is ready for an emissions inspection and for normal driving.
arussh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:12 PM   #3
Livernois Motorsports

Drives: 2010 Camaro 454 LSX (SOLD)
Hey I think the main issue is your long tube headers. Whenever you change your exhaust it will fail your emissions test. Even if all your o2 sensors are in. Nothing to do with supercharger only exhaust. Even with high flow cats it will be to rich. If you have any other questions let me thank you
Livernois Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:27 PM   #4
GodWentPunk

Drives: 2015 2SS White Convertible CE/INDY
You will need a tune with LTH. They have O2 extenders that some have had success with, are you using those?

joe...
Old 01-12-2019, 09:47 PM   #5
MIDNIGHTANGEL
Back4Revenge

Send a message via AIM to MIDNIGHTANGEL Send a message via Yahoo to MIDNIGHTANGEL
Update:

Went to the Exhaust shop had him weld any leaks, after replacing the downstream passenger sensor.

EVAP: Not Ready
Catalyst: Not Ready
Oxygen Sensor: Ready
Oxygen Heater: Ready

Progress. No CEL.

Performed all the cycle instructions, multiple times. This past week.

After Performing the driving cycles, I need at least one of those to ready up in order for me to pass over here.

If I read that right.. The EVAP will only complete if the catalyst completes.. Which means that If I complete the catalyst ready monitor, we'll be all good to go. Also meaning that the EVAP code will not ready up at all then.

So the Problem has been narrowed down to: Solve Catalyst Ready Up Monitor or No Deal?
If not how can I ready up the EVAP alone?

The LT headers I have, were taken into account when HPtuners/Overkill Motorsports Tuned it, with the cheap hi flow cats that I have.

Im not sure about the 02 extenders, the 4 sensors that I have all fti without using the wire extension that i believe you're referring to?

So with all that being said.. What should be the next step?
Old 01-12-2019, 09:52 PM   #6
MIDNIGHTANGEL
Back4Revenge

Mind you I continue to check with the HPtuners Pro Kit, on all monitors and CELs
Old 01-14-2019, 12:28 PM   #7
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Can you get different cats?
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:15 PM   #8
GodWentPunk

Drives: 2015 2SS White Convertible CE/INDY
I have no further ideas and hope you get a resolution to this.

joe...
Old 01-14-2019, 02:04 PM   #9
MIDNIGHTANGEL
Back4Revenge

All assistance is appreciated fellas,

If I can ready up this EVAP monitor, I will be golden.

Otherwise I need to figure out how to Ready up the Catalyst Monitor
Old 01-26-2019, 08:12 PM   #10
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
The O2 extenders mentioned in a previous post isn't referring to wire extenders. These O2 extenders are metal spacers that are screwed into the rear O2 bung first, and then the O2 sensor is screwed into the the extender.

O2 Extenders

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:18 PM   #11
12blkgrayRS

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS 2LT 6spd man
sounds like you just need to drive it a few more times. Mine did the same thing. all 4 of the above the same. I took mine to chevy to make sure something else may be wrong, it just needs a few more cycles to reset. They stated this vehicle is not the easiest to cycle to ready for the parameters listed. My successful run was when I filled witl super and drove 30-60 miles under 50 mph. did drive hard, just drove it easy. kept the rpms under 3k. Then it reset to ready...weird how that works.
12blkgrayRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:23 PM   #12
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
If you change your P0420 code in the tune to "No Error Reporting" will that ready you up?

With the long tubes and high-flows, you're probably throwing that code even though your cats are working. If they don't sniff, and it's just that code stopping you, you should be fine after that.

I'm surprised Will kept the P0420 code in the tune, all through the w-body world when we switched out our downpipes with high-flows we shut that code off.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:28 PM   #13
BlueCamaro6

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS, Hyper Blue
You ever get it to pass emissions? We have cars that go through with headers, no cats, cam, s/c, no issues. I'm in Illinois

2016 2SS, A8, NAV, NPP, MRC, Sunroof, Hyperblue (GM buyback)

1999 Trans Am Firehawk, M6, headers, no-cats, slp exhaust, hot cam, intake, 3:73 gears. Red/Blk
BlueCamaro6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:30 PM   #14
MIDNIGHTANGEL
Back4Revenge

I found out how and finally passed!

Everyone that said they had no issues were V8 users and not the V6ers

I tweaked the tune and added the mini cats and BOOM