Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-31-2014, 07:52 AM   #1
Redslayer15821

Drives: 2017 2SS (50th Anniversary)
SS Rear End

Does anyone know if all SS rear ends are compatible with an auto LFX. Secondly once I swap out my rear end and upgrade my gear ration to 3.91's what could I expect as far as the quarter mile is concerned? I currently run 14.2's stock.
Redslayer15821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:30 AM   #2
garvyf22
Tonkaracing

Drives: 2013 2LS RED CAMARO
How much is the swap?
garvyf22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:08 AM   #3
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
The 3.91's wont do anything beneficial for you in the 1/4. The stock 3.45 in the stock SS rear end is more preferable. The 3.91s will probably make you a tad slower if anything - http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...highlight=3.91

To swap the SS rear end into an automatic V6 requires the axles, differential, hubs... maybe something else.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:37 AM   #4
Redslayer15821

Drives: 2017 2SS (50th Anniversary)
So from the sound of it more trouble than it's worth. I was leaning toward bolt on mods like this as opposed to FI for similar reasons. I would have to replace my fuel system along with a significant number of suspension and chassis upgrades to have a dependable TT or supercharged 6 correct?
Redslayer15821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:58 AM   #5
rsv07

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT
You would also need the rear half of the drive shaft to do an SS swap. Remember that the Auto tranny comes with an open diff rather than a posi like the SS does.

I don't know what exactly you would need in terms of suspension to go TT. What year is your car? The 2012+ fuel system shouldn't need to be replaced unless you're doing ridiculous boost.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:58 PM   #6
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redslayer15821 View Post
So from the sound of it more trouble than it's worth. I was leaning toward bolt on mods like this as opposed to FI for similar reasons. I would have to replace my fuel system along with a significant number of suspension and chassis upgrades to have a dependable TT or supercharged 6 correct?
Nope - especially not for "dependable", which is a very strong connotative word... The TT kit is good for 450whp stock (auto) or 500whp stock (manual). The supercharger kit is good for 350-400whp stock. Plenty of guys just do that. You don't have to touch anything... well, minus deleting your cats with the supercharger if you worry about things like that. That's the glory of boosting our cars - you just do it.

It's AFTER boost that you realize you want to modify the suspension of your car and move towards a ridiculous race car or just a very fun street car.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:46 AM   #7
etmx183

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS
SS differential swap = Two CV axles, Differential, Two wheel hubs, and rear portion of driveshaft. About 3 - 4 hours of work on a lift with air tools. Do yourself a favor do the 3 differential bushings before you install SS differential. Remember you will need a recalibrate your speedometer, this is more important for the automatics folks for proper shift timing.
etmx183 is offline   Reply With Quote