Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-05-2014, 12:24 PM   #1
Gusgp1200

Drives: 2011 LT/RS
2011 V6 2LT RS, the RS must stand for Really Stiff

Hi all, just purchased a beautiful IOM used one with 25k on the odometer on Jan. 2nd. Immediately put on 18" winter tires and wheels for it being a daily driver. I know, first post and not a very happy one... I can blame the frost heaved roads for some if it, but this ride quality sucks at best. Does everyone else who has one have their passengers in the back seat hitting their heads on the roof when you hit a dip in the road? It can take a bump ok, but a dip or hump will launch the rear so much you dare not have a drink in your hand let alone try to take a drink. It seems the whole car suspension compresses and the kicks back like you were shot out of a cannon. It's been a very cold winter here in Mn, but come on, my girlfriends Lexus IS250 handles very well and rides like a dream and makes me feel like we camaro owners all got cheated. It is making me groan that it may be going down the road if I can't find a fix. I have ridden in other sports cars and owned a 1987 Trans A.M. GTA that rode miles better than this, so I don't need to hear "It's a sports car". I'm sure if you live in a city with fresh pavement you don't even know what I am talking about, but it's a far cry from being a good daily driver. If everyone else's camaro is like this then I will just accept it and move on, or should it go to the dealer for a suspension check??
Gusgp1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:25 PM   #2
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
since you bought it used, are the suspension parts stock?

and there's a back seat?
Old 03-05-2014, 12:33 PM   #3
AlohaBR

Drives: Camaros...is there anything else?
This generation Camaro rides 10x better than 3rd and 4th gen Fbodies, in my opinion.
The back seat ride I am not sure of but do know there is very little headroom to begin with back there.
The RS with stock size tires does have a stiffer ride than a LS Camaro with 18" wheels/tires.
You said you had put 18" winter tires on so that should not be the issue. Might have the suspension checked if the previous owner did mods to it?
AlohaBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:35 PM   #4
Gbazman

Drives: '10 LS, '91 RS, '89 RS
I know I have been driving mine in Maine lately and have not had many problems with frost heaves and dips in the road destroying my ride quality, thing handles them beautifully!
Gbazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:35 PM   #5
Manbearpig
Engineer of softness-ware

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
Congrats on the car, currently I'm in Chicago for school from SoCal and the quality of the roads for me were a big shock to get used to.

My two cents, everything is going to feel like a warzone if the road sucks. The car is low to the ground and powerful. A lot of times you'll be going faster then it feels like just because of the low set cockpit. There are times in the past where I've hit even a small pothole and got scared I just ripped the undercarriage off due to the resulting sound effects.

As for passengers, I haven't heard that complaint. I'd imagine if you were tall it would happen but I've had um...around 8 people in the car (No I'm not gonna explain and I do not advise this ) and no complaint from heads connecting.

Winter is going to play an effect on the car as well obviously. Cold tends to mess with things. Can't really think of a fix besides avoiding really crappy roads. Over time I just got used to the bumps and got a hell of a lot better spotting potholes. The car despite its weight is pretty agile so you can get around them no problem. A suspension check may be in order but believe me, I've brought the car in thinking I was going to need a new alignment/issues with suspension/pwned tire etc. These cars are tanks.
Manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:36 PM   #6
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Get it checked out.

If you really understand how the car should ride, and you feel its this horrible then just go get it looked at.

The Camaro V6 isn't a soft ride, but shouldn't be jarring you or bouncing you around. Mine never has, and now even with my ZL1 springs it still doesn't throw me around like you describe.

Maybe it has aftermarket suspenion, or needs shocks.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:04 PM   #7
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
I owned a 89 Iroc for quite a few years, and our SS rides much better... the 2010 V6 Camaro we rented in Hawaii did too. If yours rides rougher than a 3rd gen, Its got something wrong with it.
Chevy_cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:05 PM   #8
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
My 2012 1LS (base v6, not RS) is one of the harshest riding cars I've ever driven. It's hard to hold a conversation when I'm driving on one specific road outside of my subdivision because the frost heaves are so bad with me bouncing all over the place. In the warmer weather months, there's certain areas of the freeway which make me feel like I'm riding a horse from bouncing all over the place.

Knowing it's a sports car, I've always just written it off. My suspension is extremely stiff.

If the dealer isn't going to charge you an outrageous fee, have them take a look at it. Otherwise IMHO just write it off as "Camaro suspension." I've heard others say they were thinking about getting a Camaro until they rode in one and thought the suspension was too stiff.

Funny story - a few weeks ago I had a 2014 Chevrolet Impala LTZ. Drove beautifully. So beautifully, in fact, that I forgot the heaves were in the road. When I turned the car in and started driving the Camaro again I couldn't believe how hard the heaves and bumps in the road felt.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:09 PM   #9
Austin45
The Logistician

Drives: 2012 LFX 45th Anniversary
Just want to point out, but you can never compare a Lexsus to a Camaro ever. My brother-in-law refuses to ride in my car because the ride is bad.

Did you not test drive the car? The first thing I noticed when I drove mine was holy crap you can feel everything in the road.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:18 PM   #10
KFH
1SS Victory Red Manual

Drives: 2010 1SS 6 Speed Manual
Go to a Dealer and take a new V6 out for a test drive and see if it feels any different.

1st Camaro - 77 Type LT Rally Sport, 3 Speed Manual, Inline 6 2nd - 94 Z28, 6 Speed Manual LT1 V8
3rd - 2010 1LT, 6 Speed Manual LLT V6 4th - 2010 1SS, 6 Speed Manual LS3 V8, RX Catch Can, Holley iNTECH CAI, Flowmaster Force II Exhaust
KFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:21 PM   #11
DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

Drives: Camaro
Coming from a Lexus IS350 just a few weeks ago myself, the Camaro is absolutely a rough ride in comparison by a LONG shot, but, they are performance cars so it's kind of meant to be a tighter suspension. It is normal. If you think the 2LT is rough, try getting in the SS/1LE. My EVO IX rode the exact same way. They have to when pulling high speed corners and contending with changing elevations etc. I expected it going into the purchase, but my wife on the other hand... Not so happy.
DaemonGPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:25 PM   #12
DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin45 View Post
Just want to point out, but you can never compare a Lexsus to a Camaro ever. My brother-in-law refuses to ride in my car because the ride is bad.

Did you not test drive the car? The first thing I noticed when I drove mine was holy crap you can feel everything in the road.
There is one case where this is a fair comparo - get in the Lexus IS-F. Even in the '11s and up (when Lexus "improved" the suspension) it's a bumpy ride. The suspension is very tight, just like an STI, EVO, 1LE, Exige, etc.
DaemonGPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:28 PM   #13
nelsont

Drives: 2018 2SS Hot Wheels Convertible
I believe thats the way it is!

I rented a 1LT coupe for the weekend and put 800 miles on it with no ride complaints.
So went out and bught a 2LT/RS Convertible and first thing I noticed was the buck board ride. Contribute it to the RS package 20" tires that are rock hard till they get heat in them.

Put on a kidney belt till it warms up!

Tim
nelsont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:30 PM   #14
Austin45
The Logistician

Drives: 2012 LFX 45th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonGPF View Post
There is one case where this is a fair comparo - get in the Lexus IS-F. Even in the '11s and up (when Lexus "improved" the suspension) it's a bumpy ride. The suspension is very tight, just like an STI, EVO, 1LE, Exige, etc.
Maybe I shouldn't have said "ever" but we're talking about a 250, not a F. Also, if you want to compare a $60k Lexsus, compare it to the $60k Camaro with magnetic ride control.