Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 01-29-2016, 05:46 PM   #1
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
Funny interaction with another SS Driver

Perks of owning a 1LE SS:

Me:
I pulled over to use my cell phone (even though I have bluetooth yes.) Had my window down already...

Another non 1LE grey SS (10-13) drives by with an exhaust that set off a nearby alarm. Then he turns around, and then stops near me close enough to yell out to hear each other.

Other Driver: Hey, I really like those wheels. I'd love to get some like those.

Me: Thanks. These are ZL1 wheels, they came on the car like this.

Other driver: Confused stare, "really?!?"

Me: Yep.

Other Driver: Okay ZL1 huh. Cool. See ya!!

Vrooom away he went.
Classic!!
Old 01-29-2016, 05:48 PM   #2
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Nice, i cant get a wave from another Camaro driver.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:19 PM   #3
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
Nice, i cant get a wave from another Camaro driver.
Me neither, they're all in my mirrors!
Old 01-29-2016, 09:34 PM   #4
67Builder
White knuckled & smiling

Drives: '17 ZL1 AKA Perfection!
Generally I give a hello rev to every v8 Camaro I come across. I get a rev back about maybe 25% of the time. I'm not dissing the non v8s, but I've almost never gotten any response from them, so I quit trying.
67Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:41 PM   #5
witenite

Drives: 2010 2SS non RS
That other guy in the op just makes us SS non 1le owners look bad!
witenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 07:24 AM   #6
JamesMyBoy

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Last summer I pulled over for a cell phone call on a semi country road (paved of course). Just as I hung up, a young farmer in a beat up pickup pulled over on the other side of the road and hollered "Everything alright?". I told him I just had a call to answer, and he smiled and said "I knew you couldn't be having any trouble with that good lookin Chevy!" He grinned and took off. Kinda made me smile :-)
Old 01-30-2016, 08:49 AM   #7
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
The only reason that I found about a 1LE, was because of our wheels. Hooked me so bad, I ended up ordering my car! I give several different types of jesters to other Camaro's, or other cool cars.
Old 01-30-2016, 02:18 PM   #8
1leWorksforMe

Drives: 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
The only reason that I found about a 1LE, was because of our wheels. Hooked me so bad, I ended up ordering my car! I give several different types of jesters to other Camaro's, or other cool cars.
Never really cared for the 5th gen camaro's ever since they came out. They were heavy, not particularly fast, handled worse, and donk status with the v6 (and some v8) cars happened way too frequently. Fast forward 6 years and I can't help but notice all the videos singing the 1le's praises. The part that really intrigued me was everyone saying how well it handled . While I never was a fan of the looks of the camaro (still appreciated the muscle car appearance however) the refresh really struck a chord with me. My car buds thought I was nuts when I told them I was deciding between this and a new STI but the test drives happened and the 1le won out easily. It truly is a great all around car.
1leWorksforMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 03:50 PM   #9
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Builder View Post
Generally I give a hello rev to every v8 Camaro I come across. I get a rev back about maybe 25% of the time. I'm not dissing the non v8s, but I've almost never gotten any response from them, so I quit trying.
My friendly hello gesture, is to smirk and nod.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:09 AM   #10
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1leWorksforMe View Post
Never really cared for the 5th gen camaro's ever since they came out. They were heavy, not particularly fast, handled worse, and donk status with the v6 (and some v8) cars happened way too frequently. Fast forward 6 years and I can't help but notice all the videos singing the 1le's praises. The part that really intrigued me was everyone saying how well it handled . While I never was a fan of the looks of the camaro (still appreciated the muscle car appearance however) the refresh really struck a chord with me. My car buds thought I was nuts when I told them I was deciding between this and a new STI but the test drives happened and the 1le won out easily. It truly is a great all around car.
Corvettes, Vipers, and the odd mid-engine GT40/GT variants from Ford excepted, really good handling in a 100% stock U.S. domestic car has been a long, long time coming. And it's taken even longer for this kind of awareness to filter out to a wider audience than only the hard-core corner-carvers among us - who'd have guessed what the 1LE was all about without being told much.

As the non-1LE SS driver in post #1 proved so clearly, this is still something not recognized very well even among those who consider themselves enthusiasts. Loud exhausts and straight line topics are easily understood and typically considered "more important"; corners just get in the way and need you do more/pay more attention.

Norm
Old 01-31-2016, 09:48 AM   #11
1leWorksforMe

Drives: 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Corvettes, Vipers, and the odd mid-engine GT40/GT variants from Ford excepted, really good handling in a 100% stock U.S. domestic car has been a long, long time coming. And it's taken even longer for this kind of awareness to filter out to a wider audience than only the hard-core corner-carvers among us - who'd have guessed what the 1LE was all about without being told much.

As the non-1LE SS driver in post #1 proved so clearly, this is still something not recognized very well even among those who consider themselves enthusiasts. Loud exhausts and straight line topics are easily understood and typically considered "more important"; corners just get in the way and need you do more/pay more attention.

Norm

Good post Norm and you hit the nail on the head. It's funny you mention those cars because I've owned a vette and viper (c6 and gen 3) and I'm amazed to think that the 1le handles better than both. Yes the weight discrepancy is definitely felt but I just can't get over how planted this car feels when coming out of the turn. In every other car I've owned (besides my old 350z) I have to be careful with the throttle or the backend steps out. In this 1le I can pretty much give it full throttle and the car just sticks to ground like it's on rails.

The horsepower wars are in full swing but people tend to forget that so are the handling wars. Imports are now focusing on their power game (besides subaru of course, lol) and domestics are now concerned about curves in the road. I say this to the point of ad nauseam but it's a great time to be a car enthusiast.
1leWorksforMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:24 AM   #12
Crand

Drives: away the ladies :(
Send a message via AIM to Crand
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgws6 View Post
I pulled over to use my cell phone
Pull over for the phone? I can't do that without spilling my coffee. Plus, I need two hands to text! How am I supposed to pull over to use the phone while I'm texting and drinking coffee? Huh? HUH???

Sounds dangerous to me.
Crand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:37 AM   #13
alv927

Drives: 2013 camaro 2ss/rs dusk edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crand View Post
Pull over for the phone? I can't do that without spilling my coffee. Plus, I need two hands to text! How am I supposed to pull over to use the phone while I'm texting and drinking coffee? Huh? HUH???

Sounds dangerous to me.
Haha lol yessir, pulling over is just too much...
alv927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:49 AM   #14
Joseph1LE

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE, 2001 Camaro SS
It's kind of sad how many "car guys" don't know what a 1LE is, even worse when they are driving a Camaro too.... I mean it's only been around since the 80s.... But maybe I'm being unrealistic expecting people to know what it is.

2015 Camaro SS 1LE- sold
2001 Camaro SS SOM M6- sold
1999 Firebird Formula A4- sold
Joseph1LE is offline   Reply With Quote