Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-23-2016, 03:47 PM   #15
Silver14

Drives: 2014 SIM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
I am perfectly fine with you disagreeing.

I am however curious what you base your opinion on.

Can you provide hard data that swayed your opinion?

Ted.
Ted, please post your data as well for comparison. Thanks!
Silver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:34 PM   #16
Trackman

Drives: 67RS Camaro ,Black 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
I am perfectly fine with you disagreeing.

I am however curious what you base your opinion on.

Can you provide hard data that swayed your opinion?

Ted.
No hard data, just experience.
I have a front mount jammed in a mustang that runs quick. Plenty of wiring and plumbing that runs very close to the exhaust with zero hot spots. Engine runs 175 and IATs are great. Seacompiler is not exaggerating.
A easy test is to use a lazer temp gun, point it at coated headers, then to the wrap. It's night and day.
Trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:38 AM   #17
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post
No hard data, just experience.
I have a front mount jammed in a mustang that runs quick. Plenty of wiring and plumbing that runs very close to the exhaust with zero hot spots. Engine runs 175 and IATs are great. Seacompiler is not exaggerating.
A easy test is to use a lazer temp gun, point it at coated headers, then to the wrap. It's night and day.
There are roughly a 1000 cars come through the shop every year so we get so see and experience and incredible mirade of combinations.

It is my experience that Header wraps for short runs work ok.

Any extended usage and they tend to overheat the header pipes which severely fatigue the materials causing cracks and failures.

They eventually reach the same temp as the headers pipes and melt stuff, we see this often.

Where as coatings contain the heat inside the header tubes not letting the temp pass through and do not overheat the materials.

Note; we do coat inside and out for a double thermal barrier.

In extended usage Coatings have the advantage.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:11 AM   #18
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Wrap works great on drag cars, and short burst. Keeps the heat down, but go drive the car from Phoenix to Vegas, or go on a solid 2-3 hours trip, and like Ted said, it "heat soaks". For race cars its amazing stuff. For street cars to prevent stuff from melting, not so much.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:53 PM   #19
Better Performance

Drives: 2010 SS TT 4L80, 72 SS454 Chevelle
Ok, so I'm back together. I chose to wrap due to the short time frame I have to deal with for tuning purposes. I am planning on doing something more permanent over the winter, as soon as I decide what that something is. The only reason I screwed with it this extensively at this point in time was to take the alternator and power steering pump off that still had the 8 rib belt pulleys to switch out with the blower car. I now have all 8 wires routed below the header, and relocated the temp sensor to the passenger head in the rear. First test beat was a success anyway, started raining here and dot drag radials made me stop further testing for now...

Ted, I am more than likely going to do a coating of some sort on the headers, turbos, and down pipes. What would you recommend, what have you had the best experience with for a street car that will visit the drag strip often? You mentioned coating the inside of the header also, but I thought that was a bad idea on a turbo car to have a coating inside the header pre turbo because of the possibility of the coating coming loose over time and going through the turbo, possibly causing catastrophic failure. Also, would there be any benefit to doing the DEI Titanium wrap on top of the coating, or is that as effective as wearing two condoms?
Better Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:34 AM   #20
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Performance View Post
Ok, so I'm back together. I chose to wrap due to the short time frame I have to deal with for tuning purposes. I am planning on doing something more permanent over the winter, as soon as I decide what that something is. The only reason I screwed with it this extensively at this point in time was to take the alternator and power steering pump off that still had the 8 rib belt pulleys to switch out with the blower car. I now have all 8 wires routed below the header, and relocated the temp sensor to the passenger head in the rear. First test beat was a success anyway, started raining here and dot drag radials made me stop further testing for now...

Ted, I am more than likely going to do a coating of some sort on the headers, turbos, and down pipes. What would you recommend, what have you had the best experience with for a street car that will visit the drag strip often? You mentioned coating the inside of the header also, but I thought that was a bad idea on a turbo car to have a coating inside the header pre turbo because of the possibility of the coating coming loose over time and going through the turbo, possibly causing catastrophic failure. Also, would there be any benefit to doing the DEI Titanium wrap on top of the coating, or is that as effective as wearing two condoms?
We have had the best results with Silver ceramic metallic coatings.

It is like any paint job the end result is only as good as the prep work that goes in before application, so you need to find a reputable coater with years of experience.

We have and will continue to coat inside and out, My personal turbo systems are all done that way for over 10 years without issue without issue.

We even coat the inside of the turbine housings.

If you wrap over coating you can count on failure of the coating.

Ted.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:32 PM   #21
Better Performance

Ted, is that something you do in house? If so, what would the turn around be if I pulled headers, down pipes, and turbos off? Feel free to pm a quote. Thanks!
Old 08-26-2016, 07:33 AM   #22
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Ted, is that something you do in house? If so, what would the turn around be if I pulled headers, down pipes, and turbos off? Feel free to pm a quote. Thanks!
We use a local coater for many many years, turn around times are typically 1-2 weeks.

Pricing is very fair but they have to quote them when they receive all the parts.

Be glad to help you with your project.

Ted.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:00 PM   #23
HELLION TURBO

Drives: Twin Turbo SS
Quote:
Hello. Please let us know if you continue to have any issues. We designed the kit around stock height plug and port locations. If the distances are changed, it can make our plug wire location off from our initial design.
We have R and D vehicles that are making over 1000 rwhp and have over 40K miles since installation with no heat issues, and no extra coating.

Please contact us if you have any other questions so we can help.

Team Hellion
HELLION TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:03 PM   #24
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Nice to see Hellion providing some support.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:17 AM   #25
Joe@CPR.com
Account Suspended

Drives: 03 vette, 94 trans am, 04 gto
I am not a fan of wrap as any oil that gets on it can be a fire hazard.
Joe@CPR.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:28 AM   #26
ParkerB57
COTW 11/12/12

Drives: 1SS RS IBM
I did the HEX Vents on my hood with my Turbonetics setup, after driving the car for a few mins the cooling fans kicked off for the first time since I installed the kit, I had gotten so used to the sound I thought my car died.

Ben
Old 08-30-2016, 07:08 PM   #27
SeaCompiler
...not a marine biologist

Drives: 2012 Camaro RY SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerB57 View Post
I did the HEX Vents on my hood with my Turbonetics setup, after driving the car for a few mins the cooling fans kicked off for the first time since I installed the kit, I had gotten so used to the sound I thought my car died.

Ben
Did you install the drip trays and do you leave the engine cover off?
Forged 416 stroker Turbocharged with Huron Speed with Cam Motion custom grind,Tuned by Vengeance, 8psi, 25% PowerBond UDP, Ported TB, shaved heads, LS9 gaskets, chromoly pushrods, BT trunnions & dual valve springs, IWIS, Might Mouse CC, SJM Line Lock,, MSD 2-Step, ZL1 Rear End, ZL1 spoiler, Strut Brace, ARP bolts, Skip shift elim, A-Pillar Gauges, FR Style 41 20X10, 3 inch exhaust, blackouts, Lowered, Custom badges, Hines vents,RPI fender vents, Technostalgia Tail Lights, Metra Kit, Pioneer stereo, Morimoto RGB Halos,
"The Great Awakening" on gab.com
SeaCompiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:17 PM   #28
Better Performance

I have the hex vents too, and have removed the drip trays for better venting. A lot of heat escapes through them, that's for sure. I haven't contacted hellion yet, but I appriciate the support. The car is at Speed INC in Chicago for some tuning issues I have been dealing with, so I will see what kind of animal I'm dealing with when I get it back. My orange car and the silver car made it on their fb page....

Tags
forced induction, heat issues, hellion, twin turbo