Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-01-2010, 01:25 PM   #85
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
Has anyone done a heads up comparison of before and after braking distances after changing from the SS Brembo package to the CTS-V Brembo package?
Doubtful you'll see shorter stopping distance... This is a good option for anyone wanting to reduce brake fade.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:11 PM   #86
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
Doubtful you'll see shorter stopping distance... This is a good option for anyone wanting to reduce brake fade.
The CTS V upgrade is all about consistency under the most demanding conditions, not that my car is ever pushed hard or anything like that. I have to say that for resale value.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:41 AM   #87
Mr Twisty

So... Has anyone else besides Pete done this mod?
Old 06-15-2010, 10:16 AM   #88
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
So... Has anyone else besides Pete done this mod?
Some one is sucking them up. Most all the CTS-V brake parts are on intergallatic back order. Some one is sucking them up. Our first serioes track testing was last week. The preliminary data shows exceptionally consistent braking over the runs. We had several other variables in play so we do not consider this data to be complete. We'll be back at the track soon and should be able to report on this with high quality data.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:31 AM   #89
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I droll over the pics' every chance I get.
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:58 AM   #90
Mr Twisty

Whoever is getting them isn't talking.... One of the supercar builders, maybe? Or GM for the new Z20something whatever they call it?
Old 06-19-2010, 02:40 PM   #91
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
I think it is Ford buying all of them up out of fear!!! LOL

mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:34 PM   #92
Mr Twisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post
I think it is Ford buying all of them up out of fear!!! LOL

mike
dms
Old 06-22-2010, 05:20 PM   #93
JusticePete

It is taking forever to get my new front rotors. It took two weeks to get new front pads.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:05 AM   #94
JusticePete

We have done track testing with the new CTS-V brakes. The bias is absolutely PERFECT. The brakes are more consistent. We were not satisfied with the OE pad compound and that hurt the performance. It would be unfair to say that the OE pads are bad. We have the Pedders Camaro running laps as fast as race cars and weigh in ready for the track with driver at almost 4,200 pounds. That is a HUGE amount of weight to bring to a stop asking a lot from OE pads. We will upgrade the pads to a race compound from Cobalt Friction. We expect to see significant gains with these pads just as we did running the CF pads with the OE SS calipers and rotors. CTS-V brakes with the new pads will be off the charts.

We are also changing brake fluid to the latest greatest available. Here is the data we have on brake fluids and temperatures.

Here are the wet and dry boiling points for a number of top brands.

Motul® RBF 600 has a very high dry boiling point of 593°F (311°C) and a wet boiling point of 420°F (215°C).

ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid is a developed DOT 4 premium non-synthetic brake fluid with a wet boiling point of 400°F (204°C) and a dry boiling point of 536°F (280°C) a full 20 degrees higher than regular DOT 5 synthetic.

Wilwood EXP 600 Plus has tested to 626 degrees F with a wet boiling point of 417 F.

Motul RBF 660 Dry boiling point (325°C / 617°F) Wet boiling point (205°C / 401°F)

Amsoil 600 Dry boiling point 580 Wet boiling point 410

These are caliper and rotor temperatures we measured on a cool fall day at Gingerman. The readings are after a cool down lap and taken as soon as the cars stopped in the pit area. On a hot summer day these temperatures will be elevated which is why we are upgrading brake fluid.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:54 PM   #95
Treefrog
U235 is fun!

Drives: CGM 2SS/M6
What is the reason for the driver side elevated temps on the brake rotors? The added weight of the driver? Right turns?

thx 8)
Treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:32 PM   #96
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treefrog View Post
What is the reason for the driver side elevated temps on the brake rotors? The added weight of the driver? Right turns?

thx 8)
180 pounds of driver.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:03 PM   #97
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Brake fluid technology as become relatively complex during the last 10 years or so. And with complexity and technology improvements, the costs have esculated quite rapidly as well. However, in most brake fluids, you do get what you pay for!

One thing I thought I would mention is the differences between wet and dry boiling points. A million years ago when I first saw this term, I could not understand dry boiling points. Well here is a definition for both:

Dry boiling point is defined as the temperature at which fresh brake fluid from a new container will boil

Wet Boiling point of brake fluid is when it will boil when exposed to potential water absorption when installed in a system.

Great care needs to be done when using the high performance brake fluid. In many cases, the higher the boiling points the more sensitive they are to water absorption. So great care should be practiced when using them

mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:31 AM   #98
Chris_B

Drives: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post
One thing I thought I would mention is the differences between wet and dry boiling points. A million years ago when I first saw this term, I could not understand dry boiling points. Well here is a definition for both:

Dry boiling point is defined as the temperature at which fresh brake fluid from a new container will boil

Wet Boiling point of brake fluid is when it will boil when exposed to potential water absorption when installed in a system.
A further clarification (in case anyone is interested):

The SAE test for wet boiling point is done with a fluid at a 3.7% moisture content. In a moderate climate, a car's brake fluid will absorb 1-1/2 to 2% moisture per year -- more in humid climates and less in arid ones.

So if we were concerned with the boiling point of 2-year-old fluid, the wet boiling point should be looked at. If we intend to use fresh fluid from a sealed container and keep it fresh by flushing after track days, the dry boiling point would be the primary concern.

After that, fluid recovery is a major issue. Castrol SRF, an excellent racing fluid, has a high dry boiling point, but weaker recovery properties (75%) than, say, AP Racing's PRF (95%). This is why many NASCAR teams choose PRF over SRF. If the fluid does boil, the PRF regains most of the pedal once slightly cooled whereas many other fluids are cooked permanently.

Moral of the story: Keep your fluid dry, just like your powder.

Chris
Chris_B is offline   Reply With Quote