Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 06-18-2019, 04:14 PM   #1
CamaroEMC

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
How do I check lifters?

Spent last weekend racing my 2SS at Road Atlanta. No major issues except my clutch pedal getting sticky at times when really hot.
Long story short, I have a noise that sounds like a header leak (whoosh?) at higher RPM, but more of a knock/tap sound at idle.
Thinking maybe a lifter? Or maybe a header leak, but not sure what would have caused that, since it has been fine on many other track days.
Oils temps at times were close to 300, so maybe oil can be the culprit.
My plan is to do an oil change, then listen for the noise. If still there, I want to pull the valve cover off and investigate further. Beyond looking at the springs, rocker and push rods, how can I check for a bad/stuck lifter?
BMR SPrings with Koni V2 shocks
TSP Cam build tuned to 482 rwhp
CamaroEMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:39 PM   #2
BigMatt
2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to BigMatt
Look for a loose rocker or a broken spring. Other than that,pull the heads and replace the lifters if nothing obvious jumps out at you from pulling the valve cover. 300 degrees is some pretty hot oil.
LS3, JRE Smooth Idle cam, CAI Inc, ARH 1 7/8, Corsa Xtreme, Taylor Wires, MGW Shifter, Street slayer twin carbon clutch, Tick braided clutch line & speed bleeder, ZL1 Diff Swap, BMR Split drop, Sway Bars, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Pro bushing kit, Spohn lcas, Whipple, LPE dual fuel pumps, Rx catch can, Id850s, Alky Control
BigMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 01:22 PM   #3
CamaroEMC

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Ya, I think it peaked at around 275-280 for oil temp. I changed the oil, and the noise persisted. I will be pulling valve covers today. Here's hoping for a loose rocker.

If I have to pull the heads, and replace a lifter, should I do all of them? Or just the faulty one? I really hope that if a lifter stuck, that it didn't wreck my cam.
BMR SPrings with Koni V2 shocks
TSP Cam build tuned to 482 rwhp
CamaroEMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:01 PM   #4
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroEMC View Post
Ya, I think it peaked at around 275-280 for oil temp. I changed the oil, and the noise persisted. I will be pulling valve covers today. Here's hoping for a loose rocker.

If I have to pull the heads, and replace a lifter, should I do all of them? Or just the faulty one? I really hope that if a lifter stuck, that it didn't wreck my cam.
OEM lifters are only $100 per set. Might as well replace all the lifters on that head at least. A collapsed lifter won't wreck the cam, but a crushed lifter wheel might.
ESS Tuning Supercharger G3X 18psi 837/727
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:16 PM   #5
BigMatt
2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to BigMatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroEMC View Post

Yes change them all if pulling the heads. Also send the heads out to be ported while they're off.
LS3, JRE Smooth Idle cam, CAI Inc, ARH 1 7/8, Corsa Xtreme, Taylor Wires, MGW Shifter, Street slayer twin carbon clutch, Tick braided clutch line & speed bleeder, ZL1 Diff Swap, BMR Split drop, Sway Bars, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Pro bushing kit, Spohn lcas, Whipple, LPE dual fuel pumps, Rx catch can, Id850s, Alky Control
BigMatt is offline   Reply With Quote