Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2019, 05:32 PM   #1
FieroItaliano85
 
Drives: 2014 2SS/RS L99
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Chicago,IL
Posts: 315
2014 Camaro SS twin turbo boost issues

Iím having problems with my setup. I had the 10lb springs in the wastegates, the over boost on my GoFastBits III was set to 10.5 #ís, and my car would only boost 7lbs. I cut the wastegate spring pressure in half, now it will only boost 3lbs!!! What the heck am I doing wrong? Can someone please help? I need to see 10lbs of boost.
__________________
2014 2SS/RS AGP Twin Turbo
FieroItaliano85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:14 AM   #2
UNRIVALED SS
 
UNRIVALED SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: El Paso
Posts: 666
Send a message via Yahoo to UNRIVALED SS
I would say you’re waste gate isn’t as described. It may say 10 lbs but it’s obviously not and it’s opening soon. I would try another waste gate and see what happens .
UNRIVALED SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:16 AM   #3
FieroItaliano85
 
Drives: 2014 2SS/RS L99
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Chicago,IL
Posts: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNRIVALED SS View Post
I would say youíre waste gate isnít as described. It may say 10 lbs but itís obviously not and itís opening soon. I would try another waste gate and see what happens .
I have two 38mm tial wastegates, which came brand new with my AGP kit. Iím going to put the 13# springs in and cross my fingers I hit 10lbs. Iím also going to double check my couplings in case one popped slightly off. I donít know what else to do at this point
__________________
2014 2SS/RS AGP Twin Turbo
FieroItaliano85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 01:37 PM   #4
steve7251
 
Drives: 2010 camaro
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: lakeland,fl
Posts: 18
Check your gaskets on your BOV's .
steve7251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:32 PM   #5
1fast
 
1fast's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Gen 5
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Warrenton, va
Posts: 202
If your running a 10lbs in your blow off valve and 10lbs waste gates I'd say your blow off valve is being pushed open
1fast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:52 PM   #6
scv_guy

 
scv_guy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Valencia
Posts: 1,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by FieroItaliano85 View Post
Iím having problems with my setup. I had the 10lb springs in the wastegates, the over boost on my GoFastBits III was set to 10.5 #ís, and my car would only boost 7lbs. I cut the wastegate spring pressure in half, now it will only boost 3lbs!!! What the heck am I doing wrong? Can someone please help? I need to see 10lbs of boost.
What boost level are you trying achieve? The rule of thumb is you can double your waste gate spring with a boost controller.
example 10psi spring with a good boost controller should make up to 20psi.
That all being said the PSI rating of the waste gate spring is an estimate, I run 14psi spring and my setup makes 13psi. I normally see 1-2 psi difference from the stated PSI rating.

As for your over boost setting, that's only going to come into play when your using the boost controller to raise the boost. So if your running a 10psi spring and say you make 10psi of boost if the boost controller saw an over boost condition it would not be able to dump the boost because your waste gate spring is controlling the boost not the boost controller.
scv_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:16 PM   #7
FieroItaliano85
 
Drives: 2014 2SS/RS L99
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Chicago,IL
Posts: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by scv_guy View Post
What boost level are you trying achieve? The rule of thumb is you can double your waste gate spring with a boost controller.
example 10psi spring with a good boost controller should make up to 20psi.
That all being said the PSI rating of the waste gate spring is an estimate, I run 14psi spring and my setup makes 13psi. I normally see 1-2 psi difference from the stated PSI rating.

As for your over boost setting, that's only going to come into play when your using the boost controller to raise the boost. So if your running a 10psi spring and say you make 10psi of boost if the boost controller saw an over boost condition it would not be able to dump the boost because your waste gate spring is controlling the boost not the boost controller.
Thank you for your input! And thanks to everyone else who chimed in here. All charge pipes/couplings were intact. I did find looser clamps on the passenger side turbo that connects to the plenum, but they werenít super loose. I tightened them back up, installed the 13# springs, and wallah. Too much traffic to do a 100% full throttle pull, but I finally saw 9.9#ís
__________________
2014 2SS/RS AGP Twin Turbo
FieroItaliano85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:30 PM   #8
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp
 
dreksnot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro LSX427 TT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 1,178
Ya, a little loose fitting can wreak havoc on boost. Check tight is the first thing to do.
__________________

944WHP / 916WTQ at 13psi on E80 10.7sec & 135.5mph DA 8k ft @ 20psi (needs tune)
LSX427 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalzer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | AEM TruBoost | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | NGK BR7EF | DSX Flex Fuel Sensor | AGP's Fore Triple Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 3.25 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:46 PM   #9
AGP Turbo


 
Drives: All things Turbocharged
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,116
Tial's spring chart shows a higher PSI listed for each springs than you'll usually get. This is because the listed pressure is measured as the gate is open ____mm on a test bench with no exhaust pressure pushing on the valve to push it open. In application you usually get a lower PSI. And it also depends how the vacuum lines are run to the gates, from a higher or lower pressure part of the system. You are reading intake manifold pressure, that is where the 'BOOST' is the lowest. The pressure at the turbos is usually a couple PSI higher.

Last thing, set your "Over Boost" function at least 1psi higher than your target boost or it's going to keep hitting it for a split second and dropping you down to spring pressure.
__________________
http://www.agpturbo.com

We make more hp on 100% stock LS3 than a TVS2300 can make on a $25,000 LSX
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:44 PM   #10
FieroItaliano85
 
Drives: 2014 2SS/RS L99
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Chicago,IL
Posts: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGP Turbo View Post
Tial's spring chart shows a higher PSI listed for each springs than you'll usually get. This is because the listed pressure is measured as the gate is open ____mm on a test bench with no exhaust pressure pushing on the valve to push it open. In application you usually get a lower PSI. And it also depends how the vacuum lines are run to the gates, from a higher or lower pressure part of the system. You are reading intake manifold pressure, that is where the 'BOOST' is the lowest. The pressure at the turbos is usually a couple PSI higher.

Last thing, set your "Over Boost" function at least 1psi higher than your target boost or it's going to keep hitting it for a split second and dropping you down to spring pressure.
I have my boost controller hooked up to the plenum, so that is where itís reading on the controller. I appreciate your input! I think maybe Iíll install the 8# springs, and play with the duty cycle and gain until I hit my 10#ís of consistent boost. And I will also raise my overboost to 11#ís, itís at 10.5 now. Thanks again!
__________________
2014 2SS/RS AGP Twin Turbo
FieroItaliano85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:02 PM   #11
AGP Turbo


 
Drives: All things Turbocharged
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,116
The rubber vacuum line out of your GFB is going to the plenum? Or do you mean the electronic solenoid is on the plenum pressure?
__________________
http://www.agpturbo.com

We make more hp on 100% stock LS3 than a TVS2300 can make on a $25,000 LSX
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:13 AM   #12
FieroItaliano85
 
Drives: 2014 2SS/RS L99
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Chicago,IL
Posts: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGP Turbo View Post
The rubber vacuum line out of your GFB is going to the plenum? Or do you mean the electronic solenoid is on the plenum pressure?
The solenoid!!! Not the vacuum line lol sorry I should have been more clear.
__________________
2014 2SS/RS AGP Twin Turbo
FieroItaliano85 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.