Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 06-25-2019, 11:07 AM   #1
go_go_gadget88

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM 6M
Erratic idle while car is moving

I have been having an issue with my car ever since the cam swap, and my buddy that has tuned it for me isn't really sure on the cause, especially since it doesn't always do this. He is very familiar with 4th gen tuning, but there are apparently a lot more options in the software for these cars, and has added to the learning curve.

The problem is, is sometimes when I either have the clutch in, or the car in neutral while there is a speed associated with it, the idle will sometimes jump all over. Like if I am driving down the road and pop it into neutral to coast to a stoplight. It will swing up to ~1500rpm, then stumble down to just a few hundred (almost dies), then back up. As soon as the vehicle reaches 0mph, the idle smooths right out (as much as a cammed car will) to around 900 and has no problems. Really annoying when I am trying to slowly pull it in the garage or something, as it often wants to die.

Anyone have some ideas on where we can start looking as the problem area for this issue?
2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS/RS LS3 6 Speed -- Rotofab CAI | Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Longtubes w/ cat Delete | Magnaflow competition catback | TSP 231/246 cam| TSP/PAC .660" Spring Kit | TSP CNC Ported Heads | Bo White PTB | Powell Bronze Trunnion bushings | 3.91's | BC Catch Can | MGW Shifter | BMR 1" Drop Springs | BMR Trailing arms/Toe Rods/Rear UCA Bushings | Pegasus Solid Subframe Mounts

[
go_go_gadget88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:08 PM   #2
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: YELLOW 2013 ZL1 AUTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_go_gadget88 View Post
I have been having an issue with my car ever since the cam swap, and my buddy that has tuned it for me isn't really sure on the cause, especially since it doesn't always do this. He is very familiar with 4th gen tuning, but there are apparently a lot more options in the software for these cars, and has added to the learning curve.

The problem is, is sometimes when I either have the clutch in, or the car in neutral while there is a speed associated with it, the idle will sometimes jump all over. Like if I am driving down the road and pop it into neutral to coast to a stoplight. It will swing up to ~1500rpm, then stumble down to just a few hundred (almost dies), then back up. As soon as the vehicle reaches 0mph, the idle smooths right out (as much as a cammed car will) to around 900 and has no problems. Really annoying when I am trying to slowly pull it in the garage or something, as it often wants to die.

Anyone have some ideas on where we can start looking as the problem area for this issue?
There is no quick fix for this you need to have a professional tune done either by me or someone very competent in LS3 Cam tuning.

If you are interested in having me tune it for you email me tedj@jannettyracing.com

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:04 AM   #3
go_go_gadget88

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM 6M
Wasn't necessarily looking for a quick fix...just thought maybe someone would know what (if any) table(s) differentiate idle at 0mph compared to idle at >0mph

It is definitely vehicle speed related. It idles just fine at a stop, and runs just fine with my foot down. Just doesn't want to coast at idle.
2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS/RS LS3 6 Speed -- Rotofab CAI | Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Longtubes w/ cat Delete | Magnaflow competition catback | TSP 231/246 cam| TSP/PAC .660" Spring Kit | TSP CNC Ported Heads | Bo White PTB | Powell Bronze Trunnion bushings | 3.91's | BC Catch Can | MGW Shifter | BMR 1" Drop Springs | BMR Trailing arms/Toe Rods/Rear UCA Bushings | Pegasus Solid Subframe Mounts

[
go_go_gadget88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:46 PM   #4
Blown1LE

Drives: 2015 Supercharged Camaro 1LE
I am having the same issue with mine since adding the cam. Need to take it back to my tuner. Its better than it was before it was tuned but its still not right at all. Guessing more air is needed to the mix