Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 07-13-2016, 09:40 AM   #15
backtotintops

Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
do NOT drive it like you stole it first time on the track...the #1 most important thing is your attitude...Please do not show up there just wanting to go fast. There might be Miata's catching you in the corners...let them through.

Learn the line and be smooth...that's it. The speed will come naturally from there.

must do full brake burnish...I found highway at 3am works
remove rain tray
set car dash to monitor tire pressure before you go out...34-36 hot is the target
begin at ptm3 and maybe 4 when you feel more comfortable
if it rains go out...the rain is excellent for learning and yes on the trofeos...just be smooth and avoid standing water
I believe any helpmet is ok if it is snell 2010 or later...this includes motorcycles but check with scda to be sure
drink lots of liquids
gas is not too far away
get tires and brakes up to temp...I do about 6-8 hard brakes on the outlap which helps
do not try to learn heel/toe on a track...use the highway
be ready to go and not rush to get out in your session

best of all relax...you choose one of the best if not THE BEST group (SCDA) in the entire Northeast....please post back with some picts when you get home.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:22 PM   #16
VegasZL1

Drives: 2015 Z/28
I would add...remember to breathe. A lot of people get nervous and forget to breathe.
VegasZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:09 AM   #17
Z28-TX

Drives: 2015 Z-28 / '13 Howe TA2 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob O View Post
Thank you all for the great advice. I really do appreciate it.

It sounds like I probably will be needing additional fuel and I'll just bring plenty to be safe. I don't want to cut it close.

I looked up the procedure for fully burnishing the brakes. I just need to find someplace to do it without drawing too much attention. What I'm reading is that I need to do 0-60-0 quickly 50 times and then about a 10 minute brake cool down at 60 mph. Is that right? I've read 25 times as well.

Thanks for the HMS contact. If I'm not happy with the helmet that should be arriving today I'll make the trip there. An hour and a half drive isn't too far.

I wanted to and planned on getting the track alignment done before going. I have a mechanic I go to when I don't have the time to work on things myself or for things beyond my capabilities. He's pretty good most of the time, but lacks some attention to details at others. He does alignments as well as works on a lot of classic cars too. Is this something most shops can do easily or something a specialty shop should perform?

I was thinking PTM mode 2 or 3 is what I would use. This is one of the reasons I thought this car would be good for my first track day. I'm hoping it will help keep me out of trouble. I've also heard that the instructors would make sure all traction and stability controls would be fully on anyway. Makes sense for a novice.

What is the dress code? I've read pants and long sleeves for most track days. I can't find those specific rules on the SCDA website. If so, do you guys run with the ac on or just sweat it out?

Thanks again,
Rob
For the Brake Burnishing process 50 seems excessive and it is the correct number of hard brakes from 60. You can brake to 10MPH the roll back into the next 60MPH brake cycle. The brake will smoke and smell and begin to get soft before all of a sudden gripping like a catch wire on an aircraft carrier. Someone mentioned 5 hard brakes and that IS NOT Adequate.
Z28-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:39 AM   #18
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
I have been doing this a long time. I have never come to a full stop while bedding brakes as is the clearly written GM procedure. My thinking is the Z/28 brakes do not get hot enough during the street bedding procedure to create a pad transfer situation at a full stop. As I read the Z/28 manual it is 5 stops. The Corvette owners manual says 50 times.... damn I would think they would be hot enough top pad transfer during a full stop.

I did find a procedure that I am used to in the McLaren forum, but they have you at a full stop as well.

Attached Images

JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:51 PM   #19
backtotintops

10-60-10 repeat 50 times then drive casually without using the brakes for 15 minutes.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:37 PM   #20
hollywdv

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28 - Silver
Great group with great advice!

There's going to be a lot of pre-race/pre-session activities such as registration, driver meetings, car and driver prep. It's probably going to be challenging due to the excitement (and maybe sensory overload), but try to focus and relax. If you have to pick only a couple things to remember, my advice would be to listen to your instructor(s) and learn the racing line. Once you get familiar with the racing line, you can move on to your brake points and so on.

Try not to worry about the car too much. The car is built and designed for the track so it will be able to handle what you can throw at it. BUT, just stay within your means.

Good luck and stay safe. Keep us posted.
hollywdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:57 PM   #21
Hunt-man

Drives: 2015 Z28 + Piper Comanche
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotintops View Post
10-60-10 repeat 50 times then drive casually without using the brakes for 15 minutes.
I know this is gospel around here but I just don't think it is needed.

I've got 3,000 miles on my car. I just did the five stops. My brakes are perfect and I can stop on a dime. If you want to do 50 stops on your $12,000 brakes go ahead and cook them. They will take it. In my experience 50 is not needed.
Hunt-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:07 PM   #22
derklug1

Drives: 2016 GT350
Make sure your interior is clean, we had a guy go off the track when a pop bottle came out from under the seat and distracted him. It was there from when he was working on the car and had set it down on the floor.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:33 AM   #23
backtotintops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt-man View Post
I know this is gospel around here but I just don't think it is needed.

I've got 3,000 miles on my car. I just did the five stops. My brakes are perfect and I can stop on a dime. If you want to do 50 stops on your $12,000 brakes go ahead and cook them. They will take it. In my experience 50 is not needed.
Have you tracked your car? This is well documented.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:43 AM   #24
JusticePete

Quote:
I don't disagree, but the factory instructions are very different. Are you using the Vette instructions?
Old 07-15-2016, 08:33 AM   #25
backtotintops

This has been covered ad nauseam. The Z/28 instructions are WRONG and I'm amazed they still have not corrected this. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361560 See post #37 in particular.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:54 AM   #26
Hunt-man

Drives: 2015 Z28 + Piper Comanche
Quote:
Yes I have tracked and autocrossed my car. Zero brake fade, zero delay in braking effectiveness with only the 5 stop 60-0 bedding. Never had brakes this good before.

Do 50 if you want. I didn't
Hunt-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:28 AM   #27
JusticePete

Quote:
This has been covered ad nauseam. The Z/28 instructions are WRONG and I'm amazed they still have not corrected this. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361560 See post #37 in particular.
I am looking into this.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:47 AM   #28
Doubleblank

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2014 Z28
If allowed, do some ride-alongs with an instructor and/or racer. That will help you see the line and also get you comfortable with speed and what your car is capable of.