Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-16-2017, 11:19 PM   #1
Switchmeister

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/slushbox
Issue with my 2010 L99

Hello guys been lurking here. I have a 2010 ss with stabilitrak issues. It pops up when starting the car with the abs tc and stabilittak light. It pulses the brakes with a grinding noise when applying pressure until30mph where I hit the reset button and the grinding issue goes away but of course still have the fault lights on the dash and what seems to me like sluggish shifting and power at times. Wide open sometimes feels like it's not all there and taking forever to get there.

I've had the code checked but forgot the number. It was a rear left wheel speed sensor fault. I replaced the sensor and cleared the code but same issue. I bought the car this way and the previous owner informed me it started after he locked the brakes up to miss an animal.

I'm thinking a new hub but wanted to get some input from you guys. I searched the web and site but found very little.

Thanks!
Switchmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:10 AM   #2
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
The lights will light up for just about anything so you better go off the codes, with the age of the car you may be overdue for brakes at least to get bled and flushed replaced with new fluid, let alone pads, manuals use the same fluid for the clutch if you have not installed a separate reservoir like from gen5diy, your fluid is most likely filthy from contaminants. The brakes do not lock up with antilock brakes but stomping them hard will stop fast, and maybe the need for brakes made it have a brain fart on its systems with the various modules. Best advice..take it to a tire store that does brakes a lot. And clean your MAF..... Your most likely in limp mode and it protecting itself running rich with the problem.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:28 AM   #3
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
and check the wire going to the sensor! peeps have bust it tying back the e-brake cable. good luck...
Old 09-17-2017, 09:39 AM   #4
Switchmeister

Thanks for the replies guys. The brake fluid has been changed with new pads and rotors. It's giving a fault for left rear wheel speed sensor but I installed a brand new sensor already. I was sort of thinking maybe some of the teeth that the sensor reads on the hub are damaged somehow ? I'm not sure if the car is going into full limp mode or not. It hits second gear and walks side ways but it just feels a bit sluggish. Either way I'm looking to fix my stabilitrak issue just wondering if maybe the hub can cause a wheel speed sensor fault.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:00 PM   #5
Switchmeister

C0045 Is the code. Already replaced the sensor. Is it a common issue in the hubs? The code is specifically pointing the left rear wheel.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:28 PM   #6
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
If the sensor is good it's probably the tab inside the hub that the sensor reads. Take the sensor out and look in there while spinning the hub...you will see the tab
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 01:42 PM   #7
Switchmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkstar View Post
If the sensor is good it's probably the tab inside the hub that the sensor reads. Take the sensor out and look in there while spinning the hub...you will see the tab
Thank you. I'll check on that. Could that issue throw the car into a reduced power state? It feels good at times but getting on it full throttle at 50mph feels delayed and slow to climb. Plenty of noise and it does move decent but it feels like it's being held back. No other codes are thrown. It even feels like a 3/4 throttle hit sometime gets it movingly better than mashing it 100%

Edit I thought I should throw in I have done the fuse pull and I am on a full exhaust and intake email tune.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:49 PM   #8
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
The email tune could be the reason why it feels so slow from 50mph on up. Or, it could be just the nature of the L99 with all that AFM crap.

Give it a full tune up and go from there.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 03:55 PM   #9
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
Or, it could be just the nature of the L99 with all that AFM crap.

That's very unlikely. The AFM disables the seconds you get on the gas.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 04:18 PM   #10
Switchmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
The email tune could be the reason why it feels so slow from 50mph on up. Or, it could be just the nature of the L99 with all that AFM crap.

Afm is disabled and it's had a full time up. It felt sort of laggy before the tune too. It definitely pepped it up but still feels sluggish to me. It may be normal but I feel like it's got more in it and something is pulling. I'm guessing I should fix this stabilitrak issue and see if it peps up. Also it has the "strong maf".
Old 09-17-2017, 07:38 PM   #11
Gasoholic

Drives: o
Bearing/hub assembly can cause that. It's usually pretty noticeable though. As in slop in the wheel, and sometimes grinding noise.
Honestly its probably the most frequent repair I do for ABS faults.
Gasoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:52 PM   #12
Switchmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoholic View Post
Bearing/hub assembly can cause that. It's usually pretty noticeable though. As in slop in the wheel, and sometimes grinding noise.
Honestly its probably the most frequent repair I do for ABS faults.
I removed the two rear sensors earlier and looked down in the sensor area. It's pretty corroded and I did see two rusty slivers sitting in the sensors pocket it mounts in. It doesn't look like there is a tab that the sensor sees but more of a gear shaped shim it senses on mounted to the wheel side of the hub. I might be mistaken on my observation though. I don't seem to have any noise or slop that I can tell. I'm thinking with what you have said Ill order two new rear hubs.

Is it normal for it to be heavily corroded inside ?

Thanks for the input it's greatly appreciated.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:57 PM   #13
Bandit63

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Pull the hub and see if anything is on the magnetic pickup ring. Mine had a small piece of metal on it and had the same problems you are having.
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2017, 08:03 PM   #14
Switchmeister

That sounds like it because I can see loose metal as I turn the hub.I'll get them pulled and post the results tomorrow. Hopefully I can see what the sport mode feels like finally and if it makes a difference.

Thank you.