Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 11-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #43
SixCyl

Drives: 2010 Camaro CGM V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomediafx View Post
Ya....What the hell, seems like alot of work. Good write up though. Like the guy above, now I know why I dont want to mess with it. I hate dealing with all that interior pins and tabs. Seems like they didnt want us to mess around back there. Maybe I will wait for Best Buy to have one of their "Free Installation" with purchase deals. I will buy the speakers and laugh as I leave, lol.
Omg I laughed so hard. Yeah this seems like a lot to replace the speaker but...looks like fun too.
El gato. Mods: Eagle eye headlights, 18" Axis Sport graphite, Roto-Fab cold air intake, Vmax ported TB, 3/8" Vmax Black-Ice, RX single valve catch can, RX breather, Pedders inserts, Trifecta tune, BBK LTH 304 SS.

art/ärt/Noun. Definition: 5th generation Camaro.
SixCyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:27 PM   #44
Icefsh

Drives: CGM 2LT/RS M6
Taking mine out tomorrow. Replacing with the stock ones. Traded in for Silverado today and am changing the stereo back to stock. It is a PITA!! But worth it for the upgrade. Changed out the fronts today and put the Boston amp back in. Wow what a change for the worse.

Glad you posted today. Now I don't have to hunt it down.
Icefsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #45
Icefsh

Drives: CGM 2LT/RS M6
Just finished the job! About 3 hours start to finish and this is the second time Iv'e done it.
Icefsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:12 AM   #46
PLuche

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT manual
Did you ever get a chance to upload the video somewhere? I have the none BA system, i had a shop install the fronts with 6.5" components to my factory radio but now i want to change the 6x9's my only question is how to do the wiring? Do i just cut some cables and use a t-tap?

Any pics of this?
Old 01-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #47
FRANK121

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL1
Best Buy Warning

About the Best Buy install: Warning! last car I had Best Buy work on sounded like crap! I had them replace all the speakers in My Dakota truck. Door speakers, door tweeters and speakers behind the seat in the side panels. 1 week later if you turned it up at all the rear speakers rattled and the door speakers rattles a short time after that. I would have taken it back but they are an hour out of the way! I decided to check it out myself .... rear speakers where literally hanging buy 1 screw, not 3? I guess they didn't have an adapter or the asshole installer just didn't give a crap? The driver side door had 2 screws holding it but the wires where twisted and taped to the speaker! The passenger side had 3 screws and wired the same way! I called and bitched and got NO WHERE! I will NEVER have a Best Buy touch any of my vehicles again!

Just be warned, take it to a specialty car stereo installer or demand to watch the work!
Never been Dynoed
FRANK121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:46 PM   #48
meschwenk

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLuche View Post
Did you ever get a chance to upload the video somewhere? I have the none BA system, i had a shop install the fronts with 6.5" components to my factory radio but now i want to change the 6x9's my only question is how to do the wiring? Do i just cut some cables and use a t-tap?

Any pics of this?

It has been a long time since I have been on this site. Do not use a t-tap. The speakers had wire adapters. I just cut off the factory speaker plug from the wires and used crimp on butt connectors. Hope this helps!
meschwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:33 PM   #49
PLuche

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by meschwenk View Post
It has been a long time since I have been on this site. Do not use a t-tap. The speakers had wire adapters. I just cut off the factory speaker plug from the wires and used crimp on butt connectors. Hope this helps!
Sure does. Thanks!
Old 01-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #50
HubStep

Drives: 2010 Victory Red 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomediafx View Post
Ya....What the hell, seems like alot of work. Good write up though. Like the guy above, now I know why I dont want to mess with it. I hate dealing with all that interior pins and tabs. Seems like they didnt want us to mess around back there. Maybe I will wait for Best Buy to have one of their "Free Installation" with purchase deals. I will buy the speakers and laugh as I leave, lol.
Yikes.... I'd never let them touch my Camaro. Idk, I subscribe to the thought that when it's mine no one will do a better job then me. (Then again I'm sort of a perfectionist)
HubStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #51
Ace1USMC

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubStep View Post
Yikes.... I'd never let them touch my Camaro. Idk, I subscribe to the thought that when it's mine no one will do a better job then me. (Then again I'm sort of a perfectionist)
I agree 150%! I wish more Camaro owners felt like you do cause I feel like wrenching on our own cars is becoming a lost art or man-skill.

I also would NOT recommend using T-taps anywhere on our cars. Even though the speaker wires don't do this, most of the wiring in our cars is multiplexed wiring - meaning the wires carry more than just 12-volts - in many cases, they also pulse data to various controllers. And if you are replacing the factory speakers, then use the factory plugs off of the speakers to your new speakers. That way you are assured good, viable connections.

If any of you are interested, here's a detailed write up on how I did speakers in my Roxanne.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=7e40c66d93
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #52
Moriartii

Drives: 11 IOM 2SS/RS M6 w/Hurst
If I read the FB pics correctly, you gutted the rear speakers from the bottom and reinstalled new ones without taking the back apart?

I have always wondered if this could be done.
Cheers
K
Moriartii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #53
Ace1USMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUNGnRECKLESS View Post
quick question here, i have an amo and sub and aftemarket speakers are my next venture. When I installed a new DDIN head unit, upon raising the volume more than halfway, my speakers would distort. does this just mean i need new front and rears? or should i get a 4 channel amp when i replace them as well? Sorry to post here, but no one has been able to answer me anywhere else....would love some help
I know your post is old, and you probably have replaced the factory amp setup by now, but in case someone else comes along with the same questions...

First off, the Metra kit (I have it too) doesn't make it clear that if you are using a high-powered after-market head unit (HU), then the best way to hook it up if you are using the factory amp and speakers would be to use the signal from the RCA's coming out of your HU, get adapters or make your own to go from RCA to a bare 2-wire connection for each channel. The factory amp needs LOW-LEVEL signal in order to process the sound correctly. The high power signal from the speaker out leads on your HU are too powerful to properly drive the factory amp. That's where the distortion is coming from that you're hearing.

Another thing is, if you are using the Metra Kit with an aftermarket HU AND replacing the factory AMP/speakers - then the best thing to do would be to bypass most of the wiring in the Metra kit, and run RCA's directly back to your AMP setup. This will give you the cleanest sound.

Anyone can feel free to PM me if you have any questions - I would be happy to help in any way I can.

BLESSINGS!
Sam
Old 01-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #54
Ace1USMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriartii View Post
If I read the FB pics correctly, you gutted the rear speakers from the bottom and reinstalled new ones without taking the back apart?

I have always wondered if this could be done.
Cheers
K
Hey K,

Actually, I did take the factory speakers out by removing the rear deck panel. But since I did, and saw it was such an incredible PITA to take that panel out, I drilled new holes for the new speakers, and then put in bolts from the top down, secured the bolts, and mounted the new speakers from the bottom up from inside the trunk. That way, if I ever wanna change out the rear speakers to something else, I can do it easily without having to take the entire interior apart again.

BLESSINGS!
Sam
Old 01-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #55
Moriartii

Drives: 11 IOM 2SS/RS M6 w/Hurst
Ah gotcha!
Good idea!
Cheers
K
Moriartii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:54 PM   #56
emtae001

Drives: 2011 SS RS
Can you supply a little more info on the "air bag" wire ? Did you disconnect it from the back window trim or from the vehicle? How do you disconnect it ? Thanks
emtae001 is offline   Reply With Quote