Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 05-17-2020, 10:38 AM   #1
Ynkeeraidr

Drives: 2011 2ss L99
Tune

Got a tune coming from Dyno Steve. Should be here on Tuesday.
My only other "mod" sofar is a Raiders license plate frame.
Ynkeeraidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:44 AM   #2
Crim

Drives: 13 Camaro SS
Why

Mail order tunes are basically copy/paste money makers. Unless you're upgrading to headers etc then a complete waste of $$.
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 11:20 AM   #3
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
Why

Mail order tunes are basically copy/paste money makers. Unless you're upgrading to headers etc then a complete waste of $$.
Not true....especially with an auto trans.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:48 PM   #4
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
And another company flees California.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:29 PM   #5
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
I’ve used two tunes from the major ‘suppliers’ here. One was worth more than the other. Auto trans, improved shifting and AFM delete is worth the relatively low cost of a remote tune - if you’re not going to be doing majorly mods.

And countless hours and remedied mistakes make up the final product of a downloadable tune. Just because it can be cut and pasted AFTER all that time and effort was put into it doesn't make it worth any less.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:50 PM   #6
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
I think a tune is capable of unleashing some hp. Remember that GM factory tune is set to maximize warranty and therefore is pretty tame. A base tune at least set the engine free. I also agree that throwing on at least some headers and then a tune makes the tune worth a little more bang for the buck.
2014 SS LS3/LSA Supercharger, 10% Super Damper, 2.55 upper, AGP Dual Pump, ID 1050 injectors, Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings, LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite E2 catch can, E85 corn fed, 160 Thermostat, Monster Twin Disk, MGW Short Throw shifter, Tick Clutch Master Cylinder, HP Tuners, JL Audio system.
Valkyrie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:31 PM   #7
Crim

Drives: 13 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
Not true....especially with an auto trans.
I'm betting he didn't even get the Auto part to do that right there is some street tuning to do. Cut/Paste baby... no bueno..
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:44 PM   #8
lemontwist

Drives: 12 2SS/RS L99,11 2SS/RS LS3totaled
i got a "tune" on Thursday last week. my only mods are a magnaflow cat back (if you can call that a mod),throttle controller and a vararam. my car is a auto so the afm disable was the best thing to happen to my exhaust.really the biggest difference was the trans shifting. it's like day and night. pre-tune tapshift or sport it was just sloppy.twice now post tune and tonight in drive controller on 0 i jumped on it it hit second so hard it broke the tires loose and the traction control kicked in for some juvenile reason i find that satisfying (i'm not running the stickiest tires but still). according to the shop it's considered a base tune/like a mail order tune they have a 3 month wait to get on their dyno the money spent go's too the dyno tune so i will acquire the parts to do a afm delete gpi ss1 cam and install everything the week b4 dyno day.

so if dyno steves tune is anything like what i got it's worth it mail order and all. i didn't go with steve because i thought i had to buy a handheld device to load the tune. pcm of nc is 2 miles from my house so it's a no brainier.
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote