Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-04-2018, 06:28 PM   #85
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
this happened to my 2015,the dealer replaced the shifter under warranty.it never happened again.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:57 PM   #86
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
Thanks to everyone who has posted information on this. Wifee's 2015RS is starting to have a stuck key, so after reading this thread, I have some information to work with to get it corrected.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:14 PM   #87
saluki

Drives: 2017 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenring View Post
Thanks to everyone who has posted information on this. Wifee's 2015RS is starting to have a stuck key, so after reading this thread, I have some information to work with to get it corrected.
I have this issue also. Playing with the gearshift works for me.

'13 SS @ Burkhart Chassis
saluki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:13 PM   #88
Stewart

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS & Ground effects
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDV View Post
The Key on my 2014 2LS is getting stuck after truning the car off, intermittently. It doesn't happen all the time, but every 2 out of 8 times or so. I've tried turning the wheels, putting car back in gear and then back to park, with no luck. Then I let it run for awhile, and try shutting off again. After the 5th or 6th attempt of letting it run, it finally gave it to me.

I took it to the dealer today, but on the initial inspection, they were unable to recreate the problem. Hopefully they find it. I saw a few videos of releasing it with a screw driver, but having to do that often is unacceptable for gm.

Any idea what could be causing this? Thanks.
For the past few weeks my key was doing this. trust me I was like WTF. Had to re-start the car take it out of park and put it in gear several times before the key would come out. I read on here several fixes from changing out the ignition switch to changing the shifter. Then I watched this video
I was like, what do I have to loose, so I did what he said to see if it really works if it does it will save me the trip to a new dealership as I just moved here and the cost. Well it does and no codes either. I tested it out by plugging the wire back in and sure enough the key got stuck, unplugged the wire and the key releases. Hope this helps the few, the many that are having this problem. AND yes it is hot in the lower desert got up to 126 today. It was 110 in my garage as I had the ceiling fans on blowing the hot air around, lol.

MY BUILD LINK: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484260
Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:31 PM   #89
davesnever

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
For the past few weeks my key was doing this. trust me I was like WTF. Had to re-start the car take it out of park and put it in gear several times before the key would come out. I read on here several fixes from changing out the ignition switch to changing the shifter. Then I watched this video
I was like, what do I have to loose, so I did what he said to see if it really works if it does it will save me the trip to a new dealership as I just moved here and the cost. Well it does and no codes either. I tested it out by plugging the wire back in and sure enough the key got stuck, unplugged the wire and the key releases. Hope this helps the few, the many that are having this problem. AND yes it is hot in the lower desert got up to 126 today. It was 110 in my garage as I had the ceiling fans on blowing the hot air around, lol.
Just curious, can you pull the key out now without it being in park?
davesnever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 01:27 PM   #90
IamR3D88

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesnever View Post
Just curious, can you pull the key out now without it being in park?
Just followed the video this morning. Yes you can. You cant pull the key when it's in run though, so you have to turn the car off, then it will come out. I dont see an issue with this anyways, my previous card have done the same thing. Cant think of a reason to lock the key in myself.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
IamR3D88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:55 PM   #91
davesnever

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamR3D88 View Post
Just followed the video this morning. Yes you can. You cant pull the key when it's in run though, so you have to turn the car off, then it will come out. I dont see an issue with this anyways, my previous card have done the same thing. Cant think of a reason to lock the key in myself.

GM did have a recall because of people accidentally bumping the ignition key while driving and I guess in your case it could go one step further and have the key come right out which would lock your steering as well. I know it's all quite a stretch but I suppose it could happen.Something to think about anyhow.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:44 PM   #92
IamR3D88

Quote:
GM did have a recall because of people accidentally bumping the ignition key while driving and I guess in your case it could go one step further and have the key come right out which would lock your steering as well. I know it's all quite a stretch but I suppose it could happen.Something to think about anyhow.
It does not lock the wheel. Park must do that. I took the key out while driving in neutral (empty street) and the car still steered and stopped, just not power assisted.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:42 PM   #93
davesnever

Quote:
It does not lock the wheel. Park must do that. I took the key out while driving in neutral (empty street) and the car still steered and stopped, just not power assisted.

Wow that's unexpected but reassuring anyhow.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:54 PM   #94
IamR3D88

Quote:
Wow that's unexpected but reassuring anyhow.
I guess I didn't think anything else would happen, but the last car I did that to was from 1988...

Old 07-24-2018, 11:51 PM   #95
Stewart

Quote:

IamR3D88, I did not try pulling the key out while I was in drive, but a bit confused on what you wrote. Can you pull it out or not? not that I would anyway, lol.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:10 AM   #96
IamR3D88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
IamR3D88, I did not try pulling the key out while I was in drive, but a bit confused on what you wrote. Can you pull it out or not? not that I would anyway, lol.
You can not pull it out while the car is running.

You can pull it out in gear though.

Stock needs to be in park to remove the key. But once you disable the plunger, if you turn the car off in gear, you can remove the key. I shifted to neutral, turned it off, removed it, then reinserted it, started the car, shifted back to drive. No problems.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:28 AM   #97
Stewart

Quote:
You can not pull it out while the car is running.

You can pull it out in gear though.

Stock needs to be in park to remove the key. But once you disable the plunger, if you turn the car off in gear, you can remove the key. I shifted to neutral, turned it off, removed it, then reinserted it, started the car, shifted back to drive. No problems.

O ok thanks for the info.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:55 AM   #98
Camaro0352

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT COUPE
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
this happened to my 2015,the dealer replaced the shifter under warranty.it never happened again.
Same thing happened to my 2014. Dealer replaced the shifter control assembly but it’s doing the same exact thing again after only two years.
Camaro0352 is offline   Reply With Quote