Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 09-18-2017, 12:08 PM   #1
Notilloc

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro SS 1LE
Nittos and Race Pads Transformed the 1LE and Boiled My Brake Fluid!

Hey everyone, I just finished up my tracking season and am preparing for the deep freeze that will be coming soon up here. I finally got on the track with my Apex wheels and Nitto NT-01 tires with Hawk DTC 70 front and DTC 60 rears and all I can say is wow! The car has completely transformed for me. There is still understeer but not nearly as bad, not sure if the more aggressive brakes cause a bit more rotation coming in or if it was the different offset of the wheels, still scratching my head on that one but my car finally has a tiny bit of rotation on entry! I took over 3 seconds off my previous best lap and I was still getting used to braking much later and feeling uneasy with the brakes (I'll get to that later) so I still have lots of time to take off. I was maintaining pace with GT3s all weekend and with more confidence with the new setup, I think I might be able to be faster. Some more power would definitely help too. I'm still much slower than our groups GT3RS, that car is just amazing! It was a wild weekend at Brainerd Raceway with the Nordstern Porsche Club, I boiled my brake fluid at 130mph, narrowly missed a GT3 that spun out right in front of me and hit a patch of antifreeze on the traction compound of the drag strip that almost caused me to wreck at 130+ and did end up totaling one of the GT3s that was right behind me (see pic below). All in all it was a pretty scary weekend but I came away feeling much happier with my car than before. Some brake ducting, Castrol SRF, and probably another set of ZL1 brakes going on this winter. Also thinking caster/camber plates and some bushings. Still looking for a front sway bar from a 14/15 SS, I think that would help with the remaining understeer. As always, any advice or help is appreciated!
Attached Images

Last edited by Notilloc; 09-21-2017 at 01:53 PM.
Notilloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:55 PM   #2
MJanowich
Door ding magnet

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
What was your track setup before the new wheels/tires, etc? Looks like you cached in all of your luck for the year!

"When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
MJanowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:05 PM   #3
Notilloc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJanowich View Post
What was your track setup before the new wheels/tires, etc? Looks like you cached in all of your luck for the year!
I had a track alignment and the F1 Supercar 3 tires. I had the ZL1 brakes for a few months then got an offer I couldn't refuse, sold them and put the stock calipers/rotors on again and haven't had any problems until now.

I definitely cached in all my luck for the year. I didn't go out the last two sessions of the day yesterday because I felt so lucky the way it was. haha
Old 09-18-2017, 05:25 PM   #4
himmy33
Go Cougs!

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notilloc View Post

I definitely cached in all my luck for the year. I didn't go out the last two sessions of the day yesterday because I felt so lucky the way it was. haha
Amen to that. I know where your coming from with boiling the brakes at high speed. Super scary stuff. Glad your okay!
himmy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:49 PM   #5
Notilloc

Quote:
Originally Posted by himmy33 View Post
Amen to that. I know where your coming from with boiling the brakes at high speed. Super scary stuff. Glad your okay!
Thanks! It was an exciting day. The tank slapper on the mile-long front straight was awful but coming up on a 200k+ GT3 RS with no brakes was pretty bad too. Edit: Just realized you're the one who's brakes went away at 145 in the ZL1, glad you're okay too!

Another question for people because I've never run race compounds before but when coming off the track my brakes went to the floor on my cool down runs every time. I've had major fade during cool down runs with previous brakes but never like this. I spent a lot of time pumping the brakes this weekend. I only did 3 sessions in total and only 16 laps total because I was so worried about my brakes. My first time out I did 7 laps and boiled the fluids (it was only 50 degrees outside too) next time I did 5 laps and didn't want to push any harder, then my third we only got 4 laps before the session was black flagged from the wreck. I have Motul 600 fluid that was new this spring and bled and refilled after every event.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:29 PM   #6
MJanowich
Door ding magnet

That's not brake fade, that's definitely boiling fluid. Hopefully the planned brake ducts will help keep your brake fluid from boiling. Sticky R comp tires + those Hawk pads probably = lots of heat, especially if you're 3 seconds faster than before. One of the drawbacks of a faster car. Nice problem to have I suppose!

"When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
Old 09-18-2017, 07:42 PM   #7
Synner

Drives: cars
Stickier tires identify the weakest link. The SRF, ducts and larger caliper will help avoid it. Get the ventilated piston Z06 calipers. Realistically though I don't try to late brake every lap of a full session. The Motul needs to be bled a lot as it seems to "fatigue" and then not retain the higher temp rating. Part of why I switched to SRF.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:48 PM   #8
ZapperZ

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE 2022 GMC AT4 HD
Get rid of the Motul600 and replace with SRF .
I've lost brake pedal at Road America using Motul600
Switching to SRF and adding braided brake lines for my
next DE adventure at RA comming up at the end of the month .
ZapperZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:46 AM   #9
Notilloc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZapperZ View Post
Get rid of the Motul600 and replace with SRF .
I've lost brake pedal at Road America using Motul600
Switching to SRF and adding braided brake lines for my
next DE adventure at RA comming up at the end of the month .
What event is that? I was thinking my season was done. I didn't realize there was another event at Road America this year. You might see me there haha.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:52 AM   #10
Notilloc

Quote:
That's not brake fade, that's definitely boiling fluid. Hopefully the planned brake ducts will help keep your brake fluid from boiling. Sticky R comp tires + those Hawk pads probably = lots of heat, especially if you're 3 seconds faster than before. One of the drawbacks of a faster car. Nice problem to have I suppose!
That's what I was thinking too. Why would my fluids be boiling during slow cool down? I wouldn't get my brakes back for about 5 minutes of driving at 20-30 through the pits. Again it was only 50 degrees outside, you'd think it would stop boiling pretty fast.

Last edited by Notilloc; 09-19-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:18 PM   #11
MJanowich
Door ding magnet

Quote:
That's what I was thinking too. Why would my fluids be boiling during slow cool down? I wouldn't get my brakes back for about 5 minutes of driving at 20-30 through the pits. Again it was only 50 degrees outside, you'd think it would stop boiling pretty fast.
Without ducts, there is very little air blowing over the rotors and calipers, which are probably screaming hot by the time you're done your session and all that heat has no where to go. What also may be happening is that when you release pressure from the brake, pressure in the lines drops, which allows the fluid to boil more easily (higher pressure = higher boiling point). So, when you are on your cooldown lap and driving around the paddock, the low brake pressure makes it easier for the fluid to boil.

I already have ducts and steel lines and use RBF 600. Next year I'm switching to Castrol SRF for that little extra bump in wet boiling temp just in case. I've boiled my fluid once on track before I had ducts and I got really lucky that nothing bad happened. It was an eye opening moment and every 5th gen that goes on track should have brake ducts.

Old 09-19-2017, 06:32 PM   #12
Notilloc

Quote:
Without ducts, there is very little air blowing over the rotors and calipers, which are probably screaming hot by the time you're done your session and all that heat has no where to go. What also may be happening is that when you release pressure from the brake, pressure in the lines drops, which allows the fluid to boil more easily (higher pressure = higher boiling point). So, when you are on your cooldown lap and driving around the paddock, the low brake pressure makes it easier for the fluid to boil.

I already have ducts and steel lines and use RBF 600. Next year I'm switching to Castrol SRF for that little extra bump in wet boiling temp just in case. I've boiled my fluid once on track before I had ducts and I got really lucky that nothing bad happened. It was an eye opening moment and every 5th gen that goes on track should have brake ducts.
What ducts are you using? I'm leaning towards quantum but open to opinions.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:33 AM   #13
ZapperZ

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE 2022 GMC AT4 HD
Quote:
What event is that? I was thinking my season was done. I didn't realize there was another event at Road America this year. You might see me there haha.
https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...bimmers-872107
ZapperZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:29 PM   #14
MJanowich
Door ding magnet

I'm running the Quantum ducts. I have no idea where to get them now though. I got mine from JDP Motorsports and last I checked they don't have them on their website. I got the NACA ducts somewhere else, I forget where. I had an independent shop install them. I sent the shop owner some links to the brake duct install threads here and he used that as a guideline for where to mount the ducts and route the hose. I believe he used zip ties to hold the hose in place.