Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 05-13-2017, 08:43 AM   #1
80sMetalDude

Drives: .
HELP!!! Diagnostics Mode Cannot Flash!

Guys need emergency help here! Got small window of time and friend needs car out of his garage for another build...

Cannot (via HPTuners) instructions figure out how to get the damn car in Diagnostics mode...

Says key to on.... it's push button.... says hold for 10 seconds.... well i hold forever and never goes to diagnostics mode or anything....

I or instructions suck just like Whipples install guide....
80sMetalDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:55 AM   #2
TECHTURTLE

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
There really isn't "a diagnostics mode" or at least nothing will indicate one... Pressing and holding the start button for more than 10 seconds allows the car to stay on long enough to get the tune done. Normally power will turn off after a few minutes to save the battery.

Added
Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger, GM 1LE Sway Bars, BMR Upper/Lower Trailing Arms, BMR Upper Control Arms. BMR Front/Rear Chassis Braces, BMR Tunnel Brace. GM Red knee Pads, GM Black Front Splitter, GM SEMA Concept Grille, GM Dark Taillights, GM Ground Effects package... Savini Di Forza BM-14 Gloss Black Wheels 9's front, 10's rear.
TECHTURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:01 AM   #3
nick_casper

Drives: 16 2SS
I held for six seconds or so until the car turns on and stays on. Have a well charged laptop. It took a whil to pull the stock tune off - maybe five minutes then another five to flash. Make sure accessories are off and the doors are closed.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:22 AM   #4
80sMetalDude

Okay I got it all working earlier. I didn't realize how this worked. I guess I have to send in the info from my current stock Flash to Hp tuners and then they look at it and reply and I take some more information and send the file to Whipple?

I guess I'm still confused about how to get this thing flashed.

I guess Whipple looks at that data then sends you a new file and then you finally get to flash it....

So just like Brettman.... I had to follow my buddy driving like 20 miles an hour back to my house it sounds worse then a rice burner that's running on one cylinder because it's so confused right now LOL. Every code you can imagine on the screen...

But mechanically everything's good so I'm really hoping the flash clears it all up. Really want to finally get to see this thing in action.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:29 AM   #5
Charlie540i

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
The car being a 2017 MY it takes some time, plus you need to send the stock upload to HPT for them to "add" it.
Charlie540i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:31 AM   #6
nick_casper

Drives: 16 2SS
I did the flash before the install. Here is the process. You pull the stock file from the car. it will pull ecm and tcm and make one file. Email that file to tuning at whipplle and save a copy in case you ever want to revert to stock. Whipple will send you a tune in a few business days that you flash. Before you flash it use HP tuners to clear the DTC codes. After you flash it you will almost surely still have permanent codes. The permanent codes are only permanent until you do a special drive to clear them. If you have permanent codes google how to clear them then do that special drive. Good luck and congrats on the install.

Edit to add: 2017 procedures are probably different.
Old 05-13-2017, 12:25 PM   #7
Perdieu

Drives: 2017 Nightfall Grey Auto 2SS
this might help
https://www.hptuners.com/forum/showt...nt-Information
Perdieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 01:36 PM   #8
80sMetalDude

Thanks everyone for the help!

Much appreciated.

Sent the stuff to Whipple and HPT.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:11 PM   #9
brettman

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sMetalDude View Post
Thanks everyone for the help!

Much appreciated.

Sent the stuff to Whipple and HPT.
Hey Buddy, I have a 2016, you a 2017. Only reason I sold the HPT was I wasn't going to buy a new computer or ram and memory. My PC (laptop) works great for my very large RC helicopters. And it was going for pro tune, why flash for 10 miles. I thought you had to send yours in? (so whipple could unlock and flash?)
2016 Camaro 1SS, Red Hot, K&N Blackhawk intake, Whipple Supercharger, 3.125 pulley, Kooks 2" long tube headers, High flow cats, secondary cats delete, Mishimoto catch can, P3gauge, Lots of dress-up crap that don't make it go any faster.

Car Journal http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490975

SC build http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492656

Drive, Ride, Fly It Like You Stole It

GO BIG OR GO HOME
brettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 06:33 PM   #10
80sMetalDude

@Brett, nope that has changed. You just send them the stock file and they take that data and recalibrate and send new file to flash.

No longer are 17 required to physically ship anything to Whipple.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:07 PM   #11
80sMetalDude

I guess my car will be sitting another week ... I guess it's official have to wait for HP Tuners so send an "unlocked" file based on what I sent them (no clue what 2-3 days response I'm guessing)... then I send that file to Whipple and I'm guessing another 3-4 days so I guess I lose sleep for the next week wondering if we did the install right. This is the part of the build I honestly didnt do my honest research on... pretty bummed that the flashing part is what's holding everything back after all the hard work is done.

ARGH!
Old 05-15-2017, 05:25 PM   #12
80sMetalDude

Anyone know how to clear the codes before I read with HP Tuner?
Old 05-15-2017, 08:44 PM   #13
SC88
Twin Turbo

Drives: 2016 2SS
Open up the scanner for HP tuners and start scanning your car while it's scanning click the engine symbol, read the DTC's & erase if necessary.

Whenever you do a "write" your DTC's will automatically be reset.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:26 AM   #14
80sMetalDude

Thanks for the help I'm so frustrated. At this point I wish the process was indeed sending in the ECM in the snail mail for a flash.

Following instructions I get the info save it... then when I try the read process it gets 1/2 way then bitches about can't read credentials from HP Tuners and aborts.

I know I need to be on the internet and am. Did speedtests etc and used three different sources to get an internet connection...my friends house, my house, my droid as a hotspot all worked.

I contact HP Tuners and I get the typical script "Make sure you are attached to the internet"...

Installed VCM Suite 3.5 beta as support suggested. No help there only error message is reworded...

I'm so pissed and frustrated. Real support would ask things like what OS, is your firewall disabled?, etc...

If this comes down to a Windows 10 laptop thing that is gonna piss me off more....

Dead in the water with a car ready to drive....

I have a feeling I'm going to end up having to flatbed the car to a perf shop.... what does something like that cost? Dyno/tune/flash?

WHAT HAS ME FURIOUS IS THAT THEIR DRM IS KEEPING ME FROM A RUNNING CAR

Last edited by 80sMetalDude; 05-16-2017 at 07:02 AM.