Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 06-15-2010, 11:59 AM   #1
D1BADZ
hmmmmm

Drives: 2010 IOM in-n-out 2SS
DIY V-LEDS 28 LED 5202 Fog Lights High Output! I mean BRIGHT results.

Hey all,
Well I have a 2ss non rs in which I replaced my halogen with 6k HIDS a while ago and the fogs where just plain annoying with the standard bulb so I decided for some LED fogs. I finally found a set that match my HIDS and actually put out alot of light @ V-LEDS.COM you can buy them direct @ http://www.v-leds.com/V-LEDS-6K-HID-...-p8701564.html
They should also have the bulb for the RS version if different.

I know there may be a DYI out there but this is also to show how bright these bulbs really are!

These use 28 as opposed to 18 of a 1/2 watt SMT LEDs for combined total of 400 lumen, this is easily the brightest 5202 LED on the market today. I mean take a look at this day time pic!

So first things first, tools needed.
T15 torx, quick connects/vampire clips ( provided) and ziptie to keep the wire in place and not moving around. heres a size comparison to the old bulb.

crank your wheel to the right and remove the 3 fender bolts with a t15 torx screwdriver, reach in and unplug the old light, its a little tricky squeeze and shake. What I used was a couple vampire clips or quick connectors to splice into the pre existing wires heres a pic.

Crank wheel to the left and repeat.

Heres the result! Brightest LED fogs out there, more LEDS more Lumens better look!

Before

comparison left led, right stock

After

FOGS on only no headlights or other lights

Video to show how bright at night Fogs only, no other lights, then with hids on.

Thanks for looking! ask any questions If you may have, this install was super easy and a must for all the people with HIDS!

D1BADZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:11 PM   #2
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
Nice. I have purchased alot from V-LEDS when I had my Acura TL. Great quality.
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:42 PM   #3
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Wow! Those look 10x better than the 5202 bulbs I got from AAC for basically the same price. Looks like they are using a mini-ballast that the AAC bulbs don't have.

Wish I could see a closer look at the vampire clips and how they work. I'm assuming they don't come with the vampire clips.

I just may have to break down and buy these. I'm not happy at all with the looks of AAC's 5202 with my 6k lights.

BTW: Love the look of the 6k lights.... Be glad you got the 6k over the 8k and didn't have to waste your money buying another set of bulbs like did.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:48 PM   #4
caverman

Just looked at the video.....how did you get your Fogs to come on without the headlights?

Edit: Another question....it looks as though the ballast has two wires for input. Do you just tap those into the input for the factory plug? I'm assuming that it doesn't have matter which wire goes to which. It's just making a loop to turn on the ballast?
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal

Last edited by caverman; 06-22-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:51 PM   #5
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
Did you replace the DRLs too? If not, I think you should. I got mine from V-LEDs too and ordered the 194 LEDs for the DRL's. Makes it look really nice! The first pic wa obvious they hadn't been changed but the following pics I couldn't tell by the glare from the headlight. Looks nice to have those LEDs there.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:43 AM   #6
D1BADZ
hmmmmm

Hey all, yeah I'm glad I got the 6k hids too, I would have hated to get another pair of HID's. As far as the clips with all of there new kits they are provided, I'll post a pic later of the clips, gotta see if I have one but they work easy, they basically just tap into the existing wire without cutting it.

Since i have a non-rs from the factory we get total control of fogs, the actual headlights are the DRL's and we can turn em off and just hit the fog button for them to go in.

Yeah they just tap into the existing to wires for the fogs, I tried both way on wires and both work so it doesn't matter.

You can use code CAMARO5 for 10% off anything on there site. These are by far the brightest and u won't be dissapointed, I know im extremely satisfied with them!

Old 07-01-2010, 10:45 AM   #7
D1BADZ
hmmmmm

sorry couldnt find any closer pics of the vampire clips, and did not want to reopen the wheel wells, but you can be assured V-LED'S provide all the needed parts to install.

Enjoy a real Fog light! and dont forget CAMARO5 coupon code to save 10% anything they sell.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:55 AM   #8
caverman

Yeah....think I'm going to be doing this soon. It's just that I've been scrapping money together for my Header/Exhaust/Tune fund ( I need about $2,500) and I hate to tap into that but I may not have any other choice.

Did you ever find a mod or a way to make it so the Fogs will come on with the headlights and/or a way to have it remember that you turned on the Fogs the last time you were in the car?

I forget to turn on the Fogs.....actually at this point I don't turn then one even when I remember because of the color difference. I wish there was a way I could stop it from always turning off the Fogs every time I turn off the car.
Build Journal
Old 07-05-2010, 09:51 PM   #9
D1BADZ
hmmmmm

Nah, haven't found a way to have the fogs come on with headlights, it would be cool if the computer would remember though, I'm sure someone will figure that out one of these days.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:30 PM   #10
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Wow, those fogs have tons of glare, i wouldn't want to be driving the opposite way from you.
christianmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:38 PM   #11
caverman

Ok....just placed an order for the fog lights and some license plate lights.

I'll post how they look and maybe get some close up of the vampire clips once they are installed.

Thanks for the heads up on the coupon code. That saved me $12 which was almost the cost of the license plate lights.
Build Journal
Old 07-14-2010, 07:11 AM   #12
Snake Slayer

Drives: Awaiting 2014 C7
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Ok....just placed an order for the fog lights and some license plate lights.

I'll post how they look and maybe get some close up of the vampire clips once they are installed.

Thanks for the heads up on the coupon code. That saved me $12 which was almost the cost of the license plate lights.
Will these work on cars with the RS package?
Snake Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:17 AM   #13
shevyman

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM
WOW looks good but for the price i can get my self some nice HID lights for that price.

but other then that they do look good great find
shevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:02 AM   #14
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
looks great, BRIGHT LIGHTS