Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 12-30-2013, 11:48 AM   #43
Trob85
Svt lol

Drives: 2011 ss inferno orange blown
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3 SS View Post
LOL. Not one period in that entire run-on sentence. That's what they teach 11B's nowadays? But I'm the idiot?
Once again your typical douch bag.
Trob85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:02 PM   #44
BottleFEED

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
I'm pretty sure the 12 month tours have stop except for certain situations. Fast I was talking about field exercises being 4-6 moths out if the year and then schools on top of that... Hurt feelings report ! And I'm glad to see some grunts in here know what I am talking about and can't believe I got a fellow GIMLET in here that's bad ass ! None the less very happy to see how many military guys aka adrenaline junkies in the forum.
BottleFEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #45
Awill
Married

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoticus.rex View Post
This thread was not derailed by the "I do the same thing as infantry" thing. It was derailed by the OP stating that reserves and national guard do not count as military.

You can't hold the ground without boots on the ground and that is what the infantry does. No one here has disputed that.

What offended people, and rightfully so, was the OP's disparaging statements about 1.1 million reserve and guard members not counting as military. This isn't an infantry thing... its an active v. reserve thing. During one of my deployments, a national guard signal unit came in and relieved and SF team pinned down under fire in Al Kut because the Czech Infantry battalion wouldn't leave the FOB. They were the only other US force in the area and the the SF was happy to see them. They weren't all that concerned about whether they are active or reserves, they were just happy for the help in a bad situation and a couple of 50 Cal's and a MK-19 made a big impact on the situation.

There is only about 1% of the US population that serves in the military these days and the OP seems to think half of them don't count, but I can assure you we could not have fought two wars simultaneously without them. Through most of our history, our wars have been fought by citizen soldiers, not a professional military. From the Revolutionary War through Vietnam, it was citizen soldiers, weekend warriors for lack of a better description, not a professional standing military, that bore the largest burden of the fighting. Would the OP content that all those veterans from WWII and Korea don't count because they were called up in a draft and went to war rather than serving continuously on Active Duty? The only real difference between those veterans, and modern reserves is that reservists have volunteered to be called up when needed rather than having to be drafted. The majority of service members who served in our previous wars were drafted, did their combat tours, came home, and went back to their civilian lives.

So the whole, this is an infantry thing, is just a red herring and had nothing to do with what offended people. I am at 22 years active duty now. 4 Enlisted and 18 Officer. I've served with just about every type of service member there is. I served as a translator and interrogator walking with Infantry squads during the first Gulf War. I have met good soldiers and dirtbags and I can tell you that neither the active force nor the reserves has a monopoly on either of those.

Thank you both for your service, but y'all need to grow up and realize you aren't the mark on the wall for what constitutes service to this country or what constitutes a soldier.

~Rex
Awill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #46
the_fast_one

Drives: 2017 red hot zl1
Mine were 12 and as far as I know my next one is supposed to be 12

There are no hurt feelings here I just didn't know what you were trying to say with that sentence.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:32 PM   #47
BottleFEED

Ls3 ss i am guessing you know nothing of the military. Infantry has among the highest GT scores in the army and usually it's at #1. Mine is high enough to go to any school I want to go to.. And honestly that's all it's needed for. So stop the ass clownery! This thread was for active military not weekend warriors like I stated if you don't like it don't post it's 2 easy! If your still upset take a knee drink some water an carry on !
Old 12-30-2013, 12:34 PM   #48
BottleFEED

I was tracking the 12 months were done with as of now we are set for 7-9 months .. ? Did it change back again
Old 12-30-2013, 12:44 PM   #49
BottleFEED

And fast I didn't mean to stir the pot like this. I just do not like the weekenders for the reason being they know nothing of the real military life and hardship for the families they play war games on weekends and think they are killers, they deploy to a base an sit inside the wire an come back with stories of war. They now call Kandahar rocket city like its bad there... And if you know that base it's like Disney land for the grunts suckin on the fobs. I know I thought it was awesome any time I could visit an buy a log of cope when I could. Of course I know the serve an what not but they are on a different food chain an that's why I stated they "don't count". People may have takin it out on context and got a little too emotional.. But that's up to them how they see it and honestly Idc. I just am hoping to clear things up..
Old 12-30-2013, 12:47 PM   #50
usnatclee

Drives: '12 2SS/RS, '13 Vette, '13 Wrangler
AC1 (AW/SW)/E6/USN here with 9 1/2 in.
2012 Camaro Ashen Grey Metallic 2SS/RS "Timberwolf". Custom exhaust, RX oil catch can and oil breather, CAI inc intake, SLP 160* thermostat, TSP 2" LT headers w/ off road pipes, custom cam, tuned. 467rwhp 450rwtq.

2013 Corvette Torch Red LS3. 378rwhp/375rwtq SAE corrected, tuned.

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK GO KU!
usnatclee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #51
Awill
Married

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue2010 View Post
This got out of hand quickly. 8 year AD USAF SSgt here. Thank you to all who serve, AD, Guard, Reserve, Civilian. One team, one fight.
WORD! We're all fighting for the same team, U.S.A. Air Force, Navy, Army, Marines, AND Coast Guard all have U.S. before them because they're all part of the U.S. military...Active, Reserve, and Guard. Our enemies aren't going to spare or consider Reserves and Guard members non-combatants or civilians. Thank you to ALL service members past, present and those in the future. I have love for you all. We should feel the same pain and hurt for every fallen U.S. troop regardless of their military status.

it's all good and fun to joke around but I wouldn't dare think to NOT count Guard or Reserves. One team, one fight...United we stand, divided we fall.

Air Force! AMMO!!!
Awill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:05 PM   #52
the_fast_one

Drives: 2017 red hot zl1
http://articles.latimes.com/2005/jan...adna-warhome16
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...r-attack-paris

This is why I get a little annoyed at times. This is my unit and there are countless other stories just like this from town all over the us. Most know the sacrafice and hardship. There are posers in every branch though
Old 12-30-2013, 02:43 PM   #53
scoticus.rex
LTC, USA

Drives: Hobbes - 2013 Camaro 2SS RS M6
I can't speak for enlisted GT scores among the infantry since I have never looked into those requirements, but I will say that being assessed for Infantry Officer is among the most competitive assessments coming out of the West Point or ROTC. The three top tier assessments are generally Infantry, Intel and Aviation. There are always way more guys competing for those branches than there are slots so they get to be very choosy.

I will also say that in the times I have worked directly with Infantry (quite a few times in my 2 decades of service), the enlisted soldiers have run the gamut from guys with Masters degrees to guys who could barely tie their shoes. So don't think you can stereotype grunts as being dumb... it just doesn't hold true. Are there dumb guys in the infantry... sure... but there are dumb guys in virtually every branch. Even intel(one of the highest GT scores required) has a nice selection of very smart guys with absolutely zero common sense to round out the branch.

~Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by BottleFEED View Post
Ls3 ss i am guessing you know nothing of the military. Infantry has among the highest GT scores in the army and usually it's at #1. Mine is high enough to go to any school I want to go to.. And honestly that's all it's needed for. So stop the ass clownery! This thread was for active military not weekend warriors like I stated if you don't like it don't post it's 2 easy! If your still upset take a knee drink some water an carry on !

Hobbes - 2013 Camaro 2SS RS M6
scoticus.rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:51 PM   #54
Rctreece
2013 Victory Red LS3 Vert

Drives: 2013 SS/RS
USAF for 23 years. Retired in 2011 and started to work for a aircraft maintenance contractor repairing, maintaining and doing launch/recovery for over 200 military jets everyday. Also have a son who just joined the USArmy Guard
Rctreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:57 PM   #55
2010_Black_Stallion

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I'm a "Weekend Warrior" currently deployed to Afghanistan. Last time I checked we wear U.S. ARMY, or U.S. AIR FORCE, or U.S. MARINES, or U.S. NAVY on our uniforms. We all go to the same training. Haven't heard of "weekend warriors" going to one BCT while active goes to another. This is my first deployment but my team leader has been deployed 3 times in the past 6 years, my squad leader 4 times in the last 8 years, and my former squad leader 4 times in the past 6 years. Us "weekend warriors" have 2 jobs that we have to take care of, our civilian job and the military, and one of them might not be there tomorrow so good luck trying to live off of a weekend paycheck. Have a few battle buddies that do just that because they can't find a civilian job. Active Duty as yourself has a steady job and you know you will get a check on the 1st and 15th. We can't live in on base housing, we have house payments, water bills, electric bills, etc. Things that you don't think about when living on base. We are always on call for whatever unexpected disastors happen in the states not active duty. When you see a weather disaster or a terrorist attack on tv and see the military there, thats the "weekend warriors" not active duty. So please tell me how much you have to deal with when on active duty.

I understand that active duty trains and trains when not deployed but the weekend warriors have other things on their plate from just the military. When deployed, we are still paying our bills and other expenses back at home. These are expenses that active duty don't take in consideration since most stay on base. Last time I checked not all active duty goes outside the wire either. You can't control your mission. If your mission is to go outside the wire then you go out if not then you stay in. Everyone has a part in everything. Most of my seargents have had missions where they went outside the wire and have gotten blown up and shot at and others are currently inside the wire and are getting IDF daily and getting blown up. From what I know with active duty is that you stay with your unit when you get back from deployment, with reserves and national guard that isn't always the case. My unit gets home in a few months and there are already some of us that have been transferred to other units to deploy again 1-2 months after we get home.

Last edited by 2010_Black_Stallion; 12-30-2013 at 06:25 PM.
2010_Black_Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:36 PM   #56
BottleFEED

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoticus.rex View Post
I can't speak for enlisted GT scores among the infantry since I have never looked into those requirements, but I will say that being assessed for Infantry Officer is among the most competitive assessments coming out of the West Point or ROTC. The three top tier assessments are generally Infantry, Intel and Aviation. There are always way more guys competing for those branches than there are slots so they get to be very choosy.

I will also say that in the times I have worked directly with Infantry (quite a few times in my 2 decades of service), the enlisted soldiers have run the gamut from guys with Masters degrees to guys who could barely tie their shoes. So don't think you can stereotype grunts as being dumb... it just doesn't hold true. Are there dumb guys in the infantry... sure... but there are dumb guys in virtually every branch. Even intel(one of the highest GT scores required) has a nice selection of very smart guys with absolutely zero common sense to round out the branch.

~Rex

That is 100% true