Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-31-2009, 04:33 PM   #1
Spaceballone

Drives: 1992 Custom RS, 2006 Civic
Tuner question??

Dear Tuners,

I understand that you are great at what you do and i am sure it takes a lot of trial and error or trial by fire when tunning. However for someone who likes to learn and do a lot of things him self i have a few questions. When tunning are you using some kind of super computer or is a device any joe blow can get like laptop handheld plug in device / program? I understand that any joe blow may not be able to use it but is it fairly easy to use? Can you make back up copies of your exsisting set up (kind of like an oh Sh!T button in case you mess up)? Now i am not talking aout going in and wrecking havock on any given car but say i wanted to do what some others have done, delete their AFM or have it kick in at a certain speed, can this be done as a DIY via proper program or tool? For some of you who have seen what the 2010 tables look like maybe you can chime in, i am just curious as to if it is a setting or whole tune you have to go through. Now i know you guys are called tuners for a reason but can simple tasks be done (DIY) by someone who has a fair idea of how things work cars/electronics?

Now i am not saying that any Joe Blow should try and tune, i am just asking if simple changes can be changed on our end instead of having to get it tuned / reprogrammed. Thanks for any input.
Spaceballone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:40 PM   #2
IPS Brandon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS black
Send a message via AIM to IPS Brandon
If you are interested in tuning your car your self or learning how to, you need the following.

HPtuners, makes a software based flash device that you can purchase that will allow you to unlock your Camaros file, and make changes to the car. You can save these files and then make changes as needed, or revert back.

You will need a wideband 02 gauge to meter air fuel ratios for tuning.

You also will need a solid knowledge of engine dynamics, and then the software's navigation. This is the part Tuner's get paid for! My suggestion here is to look into tuning classes or watching over the shoulder of someone very knowledgeable.

Tuning is honestly very little trial an error when you're a professional, the computer and data give you information which can be analyzed, and changes made accordingly.

Good luck with the car, if you have questions feel free to PM or email!

Regards
-Brandon
IPS Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:28 AM   #3
Spaceballone

Drives: 1992 Custom RS, 2006 Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPS Brandon View Post
If you are interested in tuning your car your self or learning how to, you need the following.

HPtuners, makes a software based flash device that you can purchase that will allow you to unlock your Camaros file, and make changes to the car. You can save these files and then make changes as needed, or revert back.

You will need a wideband 02 gauge to meter air fuel ratios for tuning.

You also will need a solid knowledge of engine dynamics, and then the software's navigation. This is the part Tuner's get paid for! My suggestion here is to look into tuning classes or watching over the shoulder of someone very knowledgeable.

Tuning is honestly very little trial an error when you're a professional, the computer and data give you information which can be analyzed, and changes made accordingly.

Good luck with the car, if you have questions feel free to PM or email!

Regards
-Brandon
Awsome, thanks a bunch for the info. I will look into hitting up some classes as well as finding someone to look over. I was just interested in changing minor settings if it was possible. Also how much does said equipment cost like the programs? or can i go to hptuners.com or something and check out prices? Has anyone bought an extra PCM \? and so how much did it cost? i will call my dealer but just wanted a price to go against theirs. Thanks again.
Spaceballone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:50 AM   #4
IPS Brandon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS black
Send a message via AIM to IPS Brandon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceballone View Post
Awsome, thanks a bunch for the info. I will look into hitting up some classes as well as finding someone to look over. I was just interested in changing minor settings if it was possible. Also how much does said equipment cost like the programs? or can i go to hptuners.com or something and check out prices? Has anyone bought an extra PCM \? and so how much did it cost? i will call my dealer but just wanted a price to go against theirs. Thanks again.
You can buy a spare ecu if you like, my guess is 200-300 dollars. Some customers do this, but it is more rare.

As for pricing, I believe its 500-750 depending on the package you purchase from HPtuners. If nothing else having the software will allow you learn on your spare time, how to use it, then gain the engine knowledge from classes or experience professionals.

Good luck
-Brandon
IPS Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:04 PM   #5
Matt TuneTime

Drives: 2008 G8 gt / 2010 Camaro L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceballone View Post
It will cost more then our dyno tune $400 and a possible bad situation [ Just had a camaro with a friend of a friend's tune a/f was 13.8 WOT and 4-6 degrees of KR before I lifted ... with more things that I have never seen before ]
Matt TuneTime is offline   Reply With Quote