Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 01:47 PM   #309
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport View Post
That thread is locked, and it does not explain to anyone that the flash counter ONLY shows GM factory flashes, and it does not explain that not all tuning products show up on the CVN count, so...I don't think it is a dead thread. Just another thread to further confuse people...
Or just another thread to tell people the truth....
Old 04-26-2010, 01:50 PM   #310
brtaus

Drives: None
Quote:
That thread is locked, and it does not explain to anyone that the flash counter ONLY shows GM factory flashes, and it does not explain that not all tuning products show up on the CVN count, so...I don't think it is a dead thread. Just another thread to further confuse people...
True and at this point, who cares. All this arguing is a moot point until it is proven one way or the other -- either GM can read your tunes/flashes or they can't. Which means, "the tuner will void your warranty" argument is moot as well.

Since no one has come forward to say they reflashed their car to get warranty work done and it was OK'ed by GM or vice versa, we can say the point is still not proven. Thus, a pointless argument and thread.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:10 PM   #311
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Until it's proven otherwise, I think it's best to protect those who are here that want to protect their warranties.

That is all...
Old 04-26-2010, 02:15 PM   #312
Mike@DS

Drives: 99 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTucker View Post
Or just another thread to tell people the truth....
You see sir, there is the truth, then there is the whole truth...there will always be more to every story.

Does GM have a flash counter? Yes.

Will an aftermarket tune show up on that flash counter, well, you have countless professionals in this industry saying it will not, but that is not represented in that thread.

Is there a CVN counter? Yes.

Do ALL tuning devices show up on this counter, No.

I hope clear minds can see my point here.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:17 PM   #313
Mike@DS

Drives: 99 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Until it's proven otherwise, I think it's best to protect those who are here that want to protect their warranties.

That is all...
I have a tech2...anyone local that wants to take me up on this offer, lemme know.

bring a video camera

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...6&postcount=11
Old 04-26-2010, 02:51 PM   #314
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
I have a tech2...anyone local that wants to take me up on this offer, lemme know.

bring a video camera

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...6&postcount=11
I know Tech2 has been around a while, and if that's what the dealers are using now for GM, then there's something to report. If a customer is most worried about warranty, until there is solid proof, the best is to stay away. I don't want to take anything away from ANY tuner, but that's about where things are right now.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:59 PM   #315
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
I have a proposal for diablosports and vectormotorsports (since they are the main two who claim their tunes cannot be detected).

Let's take an ecm from a volunteer car (preferably one who already has a voided warranty due to mods) be tuned and then reflashed to factory tune. Then have the car tested by a trustworthy GM dealership.

I will retract anything I've ever said on this issue if you prove your tunes cannot be detected.

I think that's a pretty fair and simple solution to this debate.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:01 PM   #316
SA CHEVY
"HILLARY"

Drives: "HILLARY" :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
I have a proposal for diablosports and vectormotorsports (since they are the main two who claim their tunes cannot be detected).

Let's take an ecm from a volunteer car (preferably one who already has a voided warranty due to mods) be tuned and then reflashed to factory tune. Then have the car tested by a trustworthy GM dealership.

I will retract anything I've ever said on this issue if you prove your tunes cannot be detected.

I think Milk said it right. Do the test and determine once and for all so we can bury this topic and everyone can do as they please (pending results of course). Look forward to seeing a follow up on this
Old 04-26-2010, 03:03 PM   #317
radz28
Petro-sexual

+3
Old 04-26-2010, 03:09 PM   #318
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Quote:

It's not what the Tech 2 can see that worries me is what the pass-through to the GM engineer's computer shows...
Old 04-26-2010, 03:11 PM   #319
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTucker View Post

It's not what the Tech 2 can see that worries me is what the pass-through to the GM engineer's computer shows...
So - once the Tech2 reads the PCM, the information goes to GM?
Old 04-26-2010, 03:12 PM   #320
1fastdog

Drives: 2002 Z06
Forewarned is forearmed.

The important thing for me is that people realize there is a risk.

Believe, not believe, whatever.

You can get stuck with the bill. If someone wants to guarantee it is not possible?

Well, they are not making any such guarantee if you read it literally.

As long as all are aware of the risks.

I suggest that folks should read the warranty for their vehicle and anything they add to their vehicle.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:17 PM   #321
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
So - once the Tech2 reads the PCM, the information goes to GM?
Yup.
It gets emailed straight to GM
Old 04-26-2010, 03:19 PM   #322
1fastdog

Drives: 2002 Z06
Quote:

I'd be more interested, personally, in what MDI/GDS review would reveal. Tech 2 is still relavent, but not the most up to date tool for the most up to date diagnostic uses.

Closed Thread