Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 09:30 AM   #1
CoolestCamaro873
The Road's A Bad Joke...

Drives: '12 Camaro SS
I think I'm getting rid of my SS

Well after waiting 3 years for this car to finally be in my driveway since I saw it in the magazine it has been nothing short of a dissapointment. The car feels heavier than it is, the vision out of it is very oddly shaped. And this car is not violently quick, which isn't a big deal but after driving a Vette for 4 years it isn't the same. But, I knew the Camaro wouldn't be a Vette. It seems I let the hype and nostalgia of this vehicle persuade me to have to have one in my driveway immediately. I always loved Vettes and Camaros, but once you get past the cool factor of this car and the fact that is has a Vette motor, without the Vette power, it just isn't doing it for me. Please don't flame me for coming on here and giving my honest opinion of the car. I just want others to know what the SS really has to offer.

The fact is I love sports cars and the Camaro is not a sports car it's a sports coupe! Forget the fact that GM is advetising this car as the "Sports Car of the 21st Century!" It is not a sports car. It handles poorly when driving in tight mountain roads which I love to do with my toys. Too much body roll and steering isn't tight enoguh.

I'm afraid that my worst fears have come true about this car. Ever since the first test in the magazine I figured this would happen. This car is great for what it is, but not for someone who really loves sports cars and what sports cars really are. Sports cars are fun to drive in all situations, Camaro doesn't fit the bill all the time. A sports car communicates with its driver at all times, Camaro puts you on hold most of the time. These cars are sports coupes trying to reveive the muscle car era big engines go fast. Yes they obviously turn alot better and brake better than ever, and the Camaro is also very suitable for highway driving and comfortable on bumpy roads, but it isn't enough.

I need to enjoy driving my car and I'm sharing this info for others to read that haven't purchased the Camaro and haven't driven one yet. I'm not saying to listen to me I think you should go drive one. Who knows you mgiht fall in love with one. But, there needs to be criticism here, this fanboy atmosphere of I don't care what you think because you killing the Camaro. I'm entitled to my opinion especially after forking over $35k for a Camaro. And people that haven't purchased one need to see this criticism of the car, because you are on a Camaro forum and it is very unlikely that you will get a non biased opinion because this is the Camaros home for fans.

I've tried to love this car, I really have, but I shouldn't have to. The car has ben so hyped that it falls way short in my opinion. And hopefully GM gets their act together and brings out a Camaro that is better handling and lighter. I will be test driving some 370Z's this weekend and I know they will be a fun car to drive nothing is final in my decision yet, but the Camaro ma have just lost another valued cutomer that GM needs!
Old 09-05-2009, 09:35 AM   #2
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
I understand and it is apples and oranges. Great car and will not get rid of ours but I am partial to our C6.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:35 AM   #3
All-Or-Nothing
Account Suspended

Drives: BMW 6 series Vert
Meh, buyers remorse........Hope you find what you really like. A few people would kill for your car on here.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:35 AM   #4
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
I don't think anybody lost or gained a valued customer.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:37 AM   #5
All-Or-Nothing
Account Suspended

Drives: BMW 6 series Vert
Side note.......................If you were a Vette owner why go to a 370Z. I would go back to the Vette, but you do you
Old 09-05-2009, 09:37 AM   #6
dursin

Drives: Suburban
Thanks. As you said, everyone really needs to drive one themselves to make a decision. Personally I'm much more of a fan of muscle cars than I am of 2 seater sports cars so I like the Camaro...and I happen to drive a Challenger which would probably handle those mountain roads you like so much even worse!
Old 09-05-2009, 09:41 AM   #7
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
I agree that the steering needs to be tighter.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:49 AM   #8
GOLDDOG

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS & 08 JSB Corvette
Can't knock the guy for his opinion. Having both a Camaro and a Vette, the Camaro is a tank compared. Last night I was looking at the Camaro compared to our Chrysler T&C and the Camaro is wide and bulky. It is a huge car and everyone who has seen it has commented that its much bigger than they expected. I thouroughly enjoy my 2LT/RS but agree that it needs to go on a diet.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:00 AM   #9
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
If you expected a tight, twisty go kart "sports car" you should have bought a Miata or an RX8; in tight twisties they're ferocious. Past that the "ferocious" stops. On the other hand if you wanted "violently quick" then you didn't want a tight, twisty go kart.

Unless you're a drifter and like burning off thousands of dollars of rubber drifting around the tight twisties, the twisties require smooth controllable power and incredible balance in handling. "Violently quick" doesn't fit that. If you want "Violently quick" you're talking 1/4 mile, straight-line stuff.

The Camaro SS is an attempt to put you in the middle of both. It doesn't do either one totally because the two don't mix perfectly. However with mods like suspension upgrades from Pedders or Pfadt, you can fix the handling to a point where you have to be basically insane to push it that hard in the twisties unless you're on an actual road course track. As far as "violently quick" it doesn't take that much to boost the power of an SS to that level.

The Camaro is a MUSCLE car that's had some upgrades to make it sports-like; i.e. IRS and interior. It would absolutely rule in a road course series like the old Trans Am series. It ruled then, it would again. But it has to be set up for that.

However it sounds like you just don't like the car no matter what. Since they can't make enough of them fast enough it's obvious you're in the very extreme minority so they nailed the market they were aiming at; that wasn't you apparently. Don't blame GM; they got it right. You were just looking for something the Camaro was never designed or intended to be.

Sell it now while the market is hot and you might even be able to make a few bucks above what you paid for it.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 09-05-2009, 10:01 AM   #10
levi1922

Drives: 2LT RS CGM
happy shopping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Don't blame GM; they got it right.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:02 AM   #11
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Side note, Chevy is rumored to be developing a "Track Pack" option which won't help you immediately but may help future owners.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:04 AM   #12
omegaman

Drives: very poorly
Send a message via AIM to omegaman
I believe the OP's criticisms are fare and well reasoned. IMHO the Camaro is not a sports car in the purist sense, it is a 21st century Muscle Car. I believe the Camaro to be in it's own class with the other "Pony" cars.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:05 AM   #13
DDustiNN

Drives: Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
If you expected a tight, twisty go kart "sports car" you should have bought a Miata or an RX8; in tight twisties they're ferocious. Past that the "ferocious" stops. On the other hand if you wanted "violently quick" then you didn't want a tight, twisty go kart.

Unless you're a drifter and like burning off thousands of dollars of rubber drifting around the tight twisties, the twisties require smooth controllable power and incredible balance in handling. "Violently quick" doesn't fit that. If you want "Violently quick" you're talking 1/4 mile, straight-line stuff.

The Camaro SS is an attempt to put you in the middle of both. It doesn't do either one totally because the two don't mix perfectly. However with mods like suspension upgrades from Pedders or Pfadt, you can fix the handling to a point where you have to be basically insane to push it that hard in the twisties unless you're on an actual road course track. As far as "violently quick" it doesn't take that much to boost the power of an SS to that level.

The Camaro is a MUSCLE car that's had some upgrades to make it sports-like; i.e. IRS and interior. It would absolutely rule in a road course series like the old Trans Am series. It ruled then, it would again. But it has to be set up for that.

However it sounds like you just don't like the car no matter what. Since they can't make enough of them fast enough it's obvious you're in the very extreme minority so they nailed the market they were aiming at; that wasn't you apparently. Don't blame GM; they got it right. You were just looking for something the Camaro was never designed or intended to be.

Sell it now while the market is hot and you might even be able to make a few bucks above what you paid for it.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:05 AM   #14
JesseJames

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
1. What are mods? Oh yes.. they make your car go faster! Oh whats that? They make your SS go REALLY fast. (Shh, its a secret!)

2. Why are you giving a crap about what a magazine says if you already own one. (I could find a magazine that says your current gf/wife/other is not good enough for you... better dump her!)

3. Ahh nothing like mountain roads for that great ear popping feel... What..what is that? Sway bars/suspension and lowering your car about 2 inches? ( heck, you would be able to carve curves so well it would make Kim Kardassian blush)

Sorry, I just thinking out loud, and I have this sickness where my fingers type out what I think...

Closed Thread