Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 06-20-2010, 12:43 AM   #1
tregwal

Drives: Yellow
Camaro Smoking Badly HELP

Installed a Magna Charger Supercharger TVS2300 on my LS3 at about 1800miles I have about 2300 miles on it now. If I drive it down the hiway for about a hour then shut it off & cool down when I start it will smoke a whitish grey smoke that smells more like fuel than anything else! The inside of the exshaust tips are black with soot! I have been watching antifreeze & oil they dont seem to be going down.... Supercharger was installed by a certified GM dealer & a mechanic of 20 years so I do have confidense that it was done correctlly... You could compare the smoke to smoke off tires (looks very simular)....I got a SCT programmer with supercharger & the car is programed to to the Camaro Manual setting... Fuel Iam using is 91 octane.. If anyone cant help me I will greatly appeciate it!!!!! The Power thou seems to be good. Driving car around town & short trips it doesnt seem to smoke on start ups..
tregwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:14 AM   #2
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by tregwal View Post
Installed a Magna Charger Supercharger TVS2300 on my LS3 at about 1800miles I have about 2300 miles on it now. If I drive it down the hiway for about a hour then shut it off & cool down when I start it will smoke a whitish grey smoke that smells more like fuel than anything else! The inside of the exshaust tips are black with soot! I have been watching antifreeze & oil they dont seem to be going down.... Supercharger was installed by a certified GM dealer & a mechanic of 20 years so I do have confidense that it was done correctlly... You could compare the smoke to smoke off tires (looks very simular)....I got a SCT programmer with supercharger & the car is programed to to the Camaro Manual setting... Fuel Iam using is 91 octane.. If anyone cant help me I will greatly appeciate it!!!!! The Power thou seems to be good. Driving car around town & short trips it doesnt seem to smoke on start ups..
Get it custom tuned
Old 06-20-2010, 08:46 AM   #3
1bacamaro

Drives: 2ss
Mine has done that once. Smoke like no tomorrow. The tuner said he thinks it is a leaky injector. Leaks fuel just sitting there and then when you start it......smoke!
1bacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:19 AM   #4
Chuckyx1

Drives: 2011 Fasties Maxies
yea but burning fuel is black smoke..
white is coolant..
white blue tint is oil
not a science just a rule of thumb
Chuckyx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:32 AM   #5
ZZTOM

Drives: 67 Camaro 350, 2010 2SS
I've had that happen to me, scared me like now what. Turned out to be water build up in my mufflers, drain hole is not at the lowest point. drilled a new hole and let it drain and no more smoke since then. Something you might look at.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:34 AM   #6
1bacamaro

Could be oil then. The one time mine did this I pulled the intake tube off and found oil in the tube. I have been thinking about a catch can.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:39 AM   #7
jrpxxii

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
First thing you need to do is check your oil level. I am willing to bet it is low. Add oil it will quit smoking. Secondly, install a catch can as you will be amazed at the amount of blow by oil. How much boost are you running? It could possibly be a head gasket but if you are not running any extra boost, then very unlikely.
jrpxxii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:51 AM   #8
dracer98
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Hugger Orange
catch can is the best test. it needs to be installed between the valve cover vent and the vacuum tube to the manifold (near t body)

All indications are oil - oil by rings means it detonated. However the Magnuson tunes are so safe - it is hard to believe their tune would eat a ring. - BUT...that is what it sounds like sorry.

Where do you live -
dracer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:16 AM   #9
tregwal

Live in Sask. Canada! When it does smoke it does push a little water out the exshaust.. Where do you drill a hole to let water drain out? Leaking injector how do I find that out? And if it is oil burning I would see that Oil is down on dipstick I don't see it move... & wouldn't the smoke smell like Oil burning? It doesn't.... Also wouldnt it puff the blues ecery time it started then? it doesn't I have emailed Magnason Cal. Dept. hope they get back to me!
Old 06-20-2010, 11:19 AM   #10
RedJewel2SS
12.23s@113mph

Drives: 2SS/RS, A6, just a few bolt ons
most likely oil blow by. i had the same problem and after installing a catch can, i have never seen any more smoke!

having the blower makes it that much easier for oil to blow by in the PCV system. a catch can is a MUST for any forced induction or even high hp n/a motor.

RIP Cammie 7/15/2009 - 4/1/2011
RedJewel2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:21 AM   #11
tregwal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJewel2SS View Post
most likely oil blow by. i had the same problem and after installing a catch can, i have never seen any more smoke!

having the blower makes it that much easier for oil to blow by in the PCV system. a catch can is a MUST for any forced induction or even high hp n/a motor.
Where do I put the Catch Can????
Old 06-20-2010, 11:50 AM   #12
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracer98 View Post
catch can is the best test. it needs to be installed between the valve cover vent and the vacuum tube to the manifold (near t body)

All indications are oil - oil by rings means it detonated. However the Magnuson tunes are so safe - it is hard to believe their tune would eat a ring. - BUT...that is what it sounds like sorry.

Where do you live -
I'm afraid Dracer might be right on this. Hope it's not a ring issue!
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:19 PM   #13
1bacamaro

I just checked my oil and it is a little low. I am going to order my catch can on Monday. I also checked the stock intake when I put the blower on and it had oil in it. I don't think I have a ring problem. I think the blower just makes it worse.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:26 PM   #14
tregwal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bacamaro View Post
I just checked my oil and it is a little low. I am going to order my catch can on Monday. I also checked the stock intake when I put the blower on and it had oil in it. I don't think I have a ring problem. I think the blower just makes it worse.
You are having the same problem as me? I think if it was a ring problem it would push smoke all the time wouldnt it? Where can you get a catch can? I am hoping that it is the problem I dont want the ring problems...