Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-25-2020, 01:00 PM   #1
VampyrRS
Vampyr ZL1

Drives: Inferno orange 2013 ZL1
UGH blown magride.

So I discovered today (I know this has been beaten to death) one of my magride strut/shock (lets not argue about terms here) is leaking. I am looking at replacements now and discovered that rock auto is by far the best price. Has anyone purchased these from them? Also how hard of a job is it really to replace them without a lift? I watched a video on replacing rear struts on a normal (non ZL1) Camaro and it did not look that bad. side question. Could having a bad strut cause an intermittent "service suspension" alert?
VampyrRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:59 PM   #2
Shodown

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Subscribed. I think my rears are going out because they are making noise :(
2014 ZL1 M6: Roto Fab Intake, LS3 TB, Long Tube Headers, NPP, Mild 2 Wild, JMS BAP, SMG aux pump, ID 1050X Injectors, DSX Flex Fuel Sensor, 10.5" DSX Lower Pulley, Killer Chiller, Tuned by Ted at JRE, Pedders XA Extreme coilovers, Mickey Thompson Street S/S on Weld S71s
Shodown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:16 PM   #3
danvillekidd
2013 ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 m6
I did mine a few weeks ago in my garage, while also still recovering from knee surgery. I took two days to get it accomplished with my limited mobility/working positions. The second day went by much quicker as I had figured out how to de-pin the connector and tools needed. I also had to drive the wife to/from work which also shortened my work day. If you are use to working off jack-stands, you should be fine. I never got a service suspension warning and mine had been out for awhile.
danvillekidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:51 PM   #4
GONMAD510

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
I ordered from Rockauto with no issues. You can do it on jack stands as I did. You will need a de-pinning tool for the rears. They have an electrical connector that goes through the top hat. Unfortunately the hole is too small to put the connector through.
Fast 850cc Injectors, ATI Balancer, 8.66 Lower Pulley, 2.55 Upper Pulley, Lingenfelter CAI, Kooks LT with cat delete pipes, Noweeds Exhaust Cutouts (extremely loud under full throttle), BTR Stage 3 Cam, BTR Platinum 660 Valve Spring Kit, TR7ix Iridium Spark Plugs, Lingenfelter Solid Isolator, 160 Degree Thermostat, Larger SC Coolant Reservoir with Hose Relocation Kit, BMR 1.25" Lowering Springs, MGW Short Throw Shifter, Racing Brake 2 piece rotors front and rear, Starkweather Performance Custom Dyno Tune on 91 Octane.

691.38 RWHP
630.35 RWTQ
GONMAD510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:03 PM   #5
VampyrRS
Vampyr ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONMAD510 View Post
I ordered from Rockauto with no issues. You can do it on jack stands as I did. You will need a de-pinning tool for the rears. They have an electrical connector that goes through the top hat. Unfortunately the hole is too small to put the connector through.
thank you for the info, where do I get the de-pinning tool?
Old 05-26-2020, 02:10 PM   #6
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by VampyrRS View Post
thank you for the info, where do I get the de-pinning tool?

You can just pick up a scribe at any Advanced Auto and the smallest needle nose pliers (Long and skinny as you can find to remove the purple locking pin inside)
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:23 PM   #7
VampyrRS
Vampyr ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
You can just pick up a scribe at any Advanced Auto and the smallest needle nose pliers (Long and skinny as you can find to remove the purple locking pin inside)
thank you
Old 05-28-2020, 06:25 AM   #8
NZZL1

Drives: 2013 BRM ZL1 Camaro M6
https://www.te.com/commerce/Document...-18910-1_F.pdf
NZZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote