Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Past Camaro Fests > 2011 Camaro5 Fest (II)

Old 04-17-2011, 09:22 AM   #1261
CAP'N B
Cajun Mariner

Drives: 10 Camaro SS/RS 15 Camaro Z/82 AGM
The automatic trans of the old days, or the slushbox as it was called are not the automatics of today. No professional drag race team that I know of, today uses a manual trans. The automatic doesn't miss a shift, and it always shifts the same. Consistency is the name of this game. WAY TO GO PQ!

CAP'N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:24 AM   #1262
klatterblast

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ssrs blk.
congrats PQ team L99

Magnuson TVS2300,ported heads,cam,Hotchkis suspension. Weld 17”s, Mickey Thompson’s.
klatterblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:29 AM   #1263
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior85 View Post
An automatic "shouldn't" beat a stick shift........ but if you dont know how to drive... the stick will lose every time.

that is why I have never tried to race my car.
In this case, there's a little more to it than that

They both ran a good race. PQ did need to run DR's or he would have been spinning thru 3 gears. How do you think it would have ended if GTA used DR's as well? Pretty good fight.
Here's a reinactment of the race using smileys

:fighting0040:
Old 04-17-2011, 10:29 AM   #1264
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
In this case, there's a little more to it than that

They both ran a good race. PQ did need to run DR's or he would have been spinning thru 3 gears. How do you think it would have ended if GTA used DR's as well? Pretty good fight.
Here's a reinactment of the race using smileys

:fighting0040:
Thanks for the reenactment. I feel like I was there in person now.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:40 AM   #1265
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
This has been a pretty cool thread and competition. I wish I could have been there to see the race. Lots of opinions here but any true drag race guy knows that an automatic should beat a stick almost everytime in even equipment. A lot of things factor into that but most true drag race guys would agree with that. I have a 6 speed manual in my Camaro but every race car I have had was always an automatic.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:56 AM   #1266
johndawg
I'd rather be shooting...

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black/Black
Send a message via AIM to johndawg
I wanted to save this for the book, but I'll post it. I think I see a pink tu-tu at the end of the track!

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5025/...2d9a01f4_o.jpg

Follow us on Twitter for book updates: http://twitter.com/TheShutterGroup

John

The Official Photographer of the 2010, 2011 & 2012 Camaro5 Fests!!! www.theshuttergroup.com
johndawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:03 AM   #1267
Capt Curt

Drives: 2SS, LS3, SW w/Blk Rallys, Blk int
The build up was great drama. When they basically threw out the rulebook, I think Chris was trying to give Randy the best chance of wining possible (probably so he wouldn't have to hear a year's worth of 'if only I had used DR's....) and in the end was maybe a bit too sporting but, judging by the posts here, he was as gracious in defeat as Randy was humble in winning and I respect that. I would have loved to be there to see the REAL after race events though! Still, something is missing - we need to see pictures of GTA with the Tom Brady sticker on his car, LOL! I don't know much about drag racing but those times look rather close to me so somehow, I don't think we have heard the last of the LS3 - L99 debate between these two....

At least I hope not!! Go Team LS3!!

Congrats PQ!
Old 04-17-2011, 11:25 AM   #1268
Road_Warrior85

Drives: IBM 2SSRS, 12 Jeep Wrangler 4door
Send a message via Yahoo to Road_Warrior85
No I'm not a true race guy.... and I do now its all about consistency.
That was the whole point of my comment. Forgive me for lack of knowledge, but the way I looked at it, the Auto transmission from a street car is not set up the way an auto from a pro race car is. I would assume that the street car is much more timid and mild mannered than a race car, hence the reason it would be a handicap. As for the driving skill in a stick shift. That comment was all about the consistency you speak of. If you slip just a little on your shift, you lose because you arent as consistent. It is much harder to do the exact same thing each and every time when you have a human shifter, vice a computer controlled auto transmission.

I guess looking back, my comment was entirely too vague. I was looking at it from two DD style street cars, driven by average drivers. I was not factoring in the difference between that and race only cars driven by professional race drivers.

my apologies for assuming.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:29 AM   #1269
Darth_Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior85 View Post
No I'm not a true race guy.... and I do now its all about consistency.
That was the whole point of my comment. Forgive me for lack of knowledge, but the way I looked at it, the Auto transmission from a street car is not set up the way an auto from a pro race car is. I would assume that the street car is much more timid and mild mannered than a race car, hence the reason it would be a handicap. As for the driving skill in a stick shift. That comment was all about the consistency you speak of. If you slip just a little on your shift, you lose because you arent as consistent. It is much harder to do the exact same thing each and every time when you have a human shifter, vice a computer controlled auto transmission.

I guess looking back, my comment was entirely too vague. I was looking at it from two DD style street cars, driven by average drivers. I was not factoring in the difference between that and race only cars driven by professional race drivers.

my apologies for assuming.
Great point. PQ's car has been tuned and that changes how the transmission shifts. I would assume his is not shifting like a stock car. My tuned A6 shifts much more aggressively than it did when stock.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:56 AM   #1270
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
Great point. PQ's car has been tuned and that changes how the transmission shifts. I would assume his is not shifting like a stock car. My tuned A6 shifts much more aggressively than it did when stock.
Wrong, he never got the tranny tune yet. His car still has the auto set to factory settings. He was afraid of getting the tune before the race do to the reduction of TRQ Management.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:09 PM   #1271
Darth_Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Wrong, he never got the tranny tune yet. His car still has the auto set to factory settings. He was afraid of getting the tune before the race do to the reduction of TRQ Management.
I knew he wanted to go back to have additional tuning done, but I didn't realize it was for the tranny. I thought it was to get some tuning at lower rpms when the car was cool. Thanks for clarifying.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:11 PM   #1272
edneyens

Drives: 1SS/RS/M6-White/Beige
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post

The absolute difference in this race was the wheels.

Dha, do you think so - yes it probably did have a huge impact, however....

The difference goes way beyond the drag radials. I believe it has a lot to do with your competitiveness Randy. You took this seriously and did a lot of right things to impact the outcome. Chris on the other hand appeared more concerned on what he could do and say along the way to get your goat. You deserve this win. Congratulations, enjoy the victory.I guess you can now spend time saying and doing things to get Chris' goat.

One of those of the embarrassed LS3 owners.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:50 PM   #1273
YouseeSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS M6 SIM
Not embaressed. Why would ls3 offer up the use of DR's and not do them himself? Especially the way the track was running. I made 6 runs out there and the stocker Pirellis were spinning all weekend. Track prep? Heat? Don't know for sure but this should have been even equip on this track. Oh well, enjoy the win. I'm sure there is going to be a rematch next year and hopefully ls3 won't be so kind.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:10 PM   #1274
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
I heard GTA let PQ win
hows that for stirring the pot

Tags
competition and good buds!, frodo likey, gta cheated, gta is a bully, pink tutu 4 chris, pq cheated, this is a tough thread