Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-15-2013, 05:28 PM   #43
360ss
ZL1 NIGHTMARES!!!

Drives: LACS+CHEVYS
Road course!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan513 View Post
its 2 diff worlds. simply if u guys think its not important. then thats u . im pretty sure if this car is a 14 sec car then its gonna suck at road racing. it may do good at autocross then. lol
have any of u guy even been on a large coarse? or pushed a car hard into a turn pushing its limits if not then . pls stick to the ? 1/4 times lol

just like the 1le. its a road car but how many race in the 1/4 mile. same diff
Also didn't they the same with the zl1 . Gm knows its market ability ,they can raise the checkered flag around the oval course . SimPle marketing strategy that's what they pride themselves on .
13zl1 #251 NOTHING ELSE MATTER
360ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:28 PM   #44
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
its 2 diff worlds. simply if u guys think its not important. then thats u . im pretty sure if this car is a 14 sec car then its gonna suck at road racing. it may do good at autocross then. lol
have any of u guy even been on a large coarse? or pushed a car hard into a turn pushing its limits if not then . pls stick to the ? 1/4 times lol

You gotta be kidding, right? A Miata isn't exactly a 1/4 mile car but it will kick your ass in an autocross. A 14 second 1/4 mile car can be extremely competitive if it can put all it's power down on the track reliably corner after corner. A Lotus Evora S will only run high 12's in the 1/4 but good luck trying to keep up with it on a road course in your 1/4 mile beast.

I'm thinking it might be you who haven't been on a road course. I beat a C63 black AMG on a road course because the driver could only go fast in a straight line. I ate him alive in the corners.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:48 PM   #45
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
who said any diff, i just asked the standard ? if it but hurts u guys that bad then oh well.

where did i say it wasnt important . power is very important. if u want to be fast u need power .

why the ls7 then. if power is not important i would rather have the ls3 . less weight .

guess we will see when it is released.

Nobody said it's not important, It's just not as important in road racing as it is in drag racing.

This is a extreme example but I'm trying to get you to see what we are saying.

This car has more power....

than this car.....

But it would get killed by it at the track.

Last edited by ShnOmac; 04-15-2013 at 07:02 PM.
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #46
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
You gotta be kidding, right? A Miata isn't exactly a 1/4 mile car but it will kick your ass in an autocross. A 14 second 1/4 mile car can be extremely competitive if it can put all it's power down on the track reliably corner after corner. A Lotus Evora S will only run high 12's in the 1/4 but good luck trying to keep up with it on a road course in your 1/4 mile beast.

I'm thinking it might be you who haven't been on a road course. I beat a C63 black AMG on a road course because the driver could only go fast in a straight line. I ate him alive in the corners.

ya autocross. is not a full stage coarse. i dont think the z/28 will get to show its true blood on a autocross track. i guess u missed where i said in autocross power really dont matter .

this is why this forum is the way it is. u cant get ppl to answer a simple ? if u dont like the topic dont click. u may have busted a c63 black amg but im sure the driver had alot to do with that.

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #47
dekan513
chevy pride

im not sayin anything i just askin what do u think i will run. u guys get all crazy over a simple ? so i guess the zl1 is not a road car . its made for the 1/4 mile only. dont need no test then. the 1le dont need to be advertised with the 12.7 time since its a road track pack. i mean really.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:51 PM   #48
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
On a road-course 1/4 mile performance is not important at all except for maybe a standing start which is uncommon. It needs to pull hard off corners and down straights, but not from a standing start. BTW that is what both the high-revving LS7 and this Tremec 6 are built for pulling hard!
Quote:
who said any diff, i just asked the standard ? if it but hurts u guys that bad then oh well.

where did i say it wasnt important . power is very important. if u want to be fast u need power .

why the ls7 then. if power is not important i would rather have the ls3 . less weight .

guess we will see when it is released.
Please again notice my comments above from earlier.

Also an LS7 and an LS3 are both GM SB's therefore the same weight.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #49
dekan513
chevy pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
Nobody said it's not important, It's just not as important in road racing as it is in drag racing.

than this car.....

ya on some tracks but some not.
cant see the 2nd car but u get the point.

from gm catalog i remember it being like 70 lbs diff on a dressed engine.

Last edited by dekan513; 04-15-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #50
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:

from gm catalog i remember it being like 70 lbs diff on a dressed engine.
I don't think there is a track on earth where the ZR1 will beat a C6R.....
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:05 PM   #51
360ss
ZL1 NIGHTMARES!!!

Drives: LACS+CHEVYS
Mr irrelevant 3:91 ratio

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
No, it has the 1LE upgraded rear components.
Wow , I'm glad you added that 3:91 gear ratio. Which is being replaced with the 9 bolt moser rear
13zl1 #251 NOTHING ELSE MATTER
360ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:30 PM   #52
orthojoe

Drives: Subaru BRZ, Porsche Boxster Spyder
Quote:

OK, put dekan513 with the other guys in the 'just doesn't get it' column. If you knew ZFatuated, you'd know he's got some SERIOUS experience at the track AND he knows how to spell road course. Based on your comments, it's clear that you don't get it and your road course experience is limited at best.

Quote:

than this car.....

Exactly

Quote:
Nope. It's clear you don't get it.

Quote:
I don't think there is a track on earth where the ZR1 will beat a C6R.....
Correct.

If you can't understand why, then you don't get it. It's that simple. A few tenths of a second difference down the quarter mile (which is what we would be talking about between a ZL1 and Z/28) is not going to be a deciding factor in which car is faster around a road course. Of course if you're comparing to something like a miata it makes an enormous diffence, but we're not. We're talking about 500hp vs 580hp. The tenths of a second that the Z/28 loses to the ZL1 in a quarter mile has no bearing on what kind of speeds the car will hit on the the straightaways on a track. I'll bet that while the Z/28 will have a slower ET and lower trap speed at a drag strip than a ZL1, the peak speeds down the straightaway for a Z/28 will be faster than a ZL1. If you can't understand reasons why that would be.... you don't get it (one hint: corner exit speed).

Let me use the 911 turbo and the 911 GT3 as a good example of the differences between a ZL1 and Z/28. While some of you have no interest in Porsche because their owners are pretentious assholes (by in large, you'd be right, but that's beside the point), the comparison here is valid.

The 911 Turbo makes more power, more torque, weighs more, has more amenities, and goes 0-60 and does 1/4 milefaster than a GT3

The 911 GT3 makes less power, less torque, weighs less, has less amenities, goes 0-60 and does the 1/4 mile slower than a 911 Turbo, but laps a circuit faster. It's also more engaging and fun to drive.
orthojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:34 PM   #53
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
ya autocross. is not a full stage coarse. i dont think the z/28 will get to show its true blood on a autocross track. i guess u missed where i said in autocross power really dont matter .

this is why this forum is the way it is. u cant get ppl to answer a simple ? if u dont like the topic dont click. u may have busted a c63 black amg but im sure the driver had alot to do with that.
You ramble, contradict yourself, forget what you already posted and generally aren't making much sense, so... whatever dude.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #54
Wondering

Drives: Z06,GS Vert,Ford GT
Quote:
u all bitch and cry , ya its not made for the 1/4 but , on another hand if ur talking performance , the 1/4 readings tell alot about a car.
simple 1/4 times mean alot in road racing , believe it or not. but i gonna say they will be more ppl buy these cars to drive around then take to the track so . im gonna say they will be more ppl at the 1/4 racing them aswell. its just more popular the road racing. with the ls7 and being around ss weight it will make a fun 1.5 mile car.

if that serious about racing then a factory car is not gonna cut it to begin with.

lol , i like the fact that these so called racers say 1/4 times have nothing to do with how this car will do at a road coarse . power has alot to do with turning a whole lot. if u got a car that cant pull very hard then u r gonna be changing gears alot causing movement, where a powerful car will power thur it, u drive with ur power as much as u drive with a wheel. are u all really that blind?

No, it doesn't.... 50-110 does mean a lot however.
Wondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:39 AM   #55
matt55

Drives: CTS-V
Should trap 115-118 mph and best in the high 11's
Old 04-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #56
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
While I agree with everyone stating this car is not built for the 1/4, you know it will be tested there by magazines. You have to know that someone that buys one will shop up to the drag strip with it. Now you can say either that person doesnt get or whatever but I can almost guarantee somebody will take it to the 1/4 just to see what it does. I have seen quite a few cars that have no business being on drag strip go down the 1/4 mile. Ive seen Lamborghini's at the drag strip, you cant tell me those cars are built for the 1/4 mile, but sometimes people just want to blast down the strip.

With that being said, I did agree that the car is not built for the 1/4, and lap times will be more interesting/valid to discuss. But to answer the O.P.'s question, im going to guess somewhere in the low mid 12s @ around 115
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote