Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 11-05-2008, 12:42 AM   #1
Matrix

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS & Magnum R/T
Angry WHY NO SAT' NAV?

Ok I have to bitch a lil. I havent posted many posts so Im a lil hesitant to spew my anger!

Why why oh f'n why is there no option to have a sat nav? WHY!!
I dont give a ratz a$$ for sat radio, I NEVER LISTEN to radio only mp3/cds!!! Why do I have that option but all high end cars have sat nav as as standard this car dont even have it as an option!!!

BOOOOOO!!!

The car is ordered but obviously with no sat nav. Now I gotta drape ugly wires for an aftermarket one or run 5mins on a battery powered one.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:46 AM   #2
HOT LS3

Drives: Chevrolet
Thats funny cause I could give a hoot about satellite navigation so long as I get channel 204 on XM radio. Different strokes for different folks. Sirusly...
HOT LS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:18 AM   #3
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
because adding the nav made the cost to build the Camaro go way up.

people use tom toms these days...which are easily updateable.

on top of that, cheryl already answered the question that they felt onstar turn by turn was sufficient enough.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:20 AM   #4
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
because adding the nav made the cost to build the Camaro go way up.

people use tom toms these days...which are easily updateable.

on top of that, cheryl already answered the question that they felt onstar turn by turn was sufficient enough.
especially when combined with the HUD in second model year cars
Old 11-05-2008, 03:36 AM   #5
willisit

Drives: Vauxhall Monaro VXR
It's very wise of GM not to offer Sat Nav. In most cars, it's almost a "must have" when time of sale comes round but in reality the stock systems are always very poor and hard to upgrade. At least with the Camaro it's not an option so it won't affect the model line up or resale.
2001 Honda CBR 600 F
willisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:03 AM   #6
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
... and stats show that a factory Nav system on a car actually reduces its residual value.
The Disciples spent a fair amount of time "vigorously discussing" this point with the team more than a year and a half ago and I believe the correct choice was made.
My Garmin is virtually foolproof, easily updated and I can move it around among all the cars in the household!

Best regardSS,

Elie
Old 11-05-2008, 06:23 AM   #7
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
I feel like they wasted time, money and valuable resources installing A/C in the cars. Why can't we have an option to delete it? While I'm at it, that radio is just taking up space on the dash. ALSO...A back seat? Ain't no one gonna be sitting back there, wassup with that? Oh yeah, where's my LS9?

OK, being a little sarcastic, but you can't please everyone can you. (I would like to see a limited build of the above tho)
Old 11-05-2008, 06:36 AM   #8
Joker57676

Drives: 2007 Civic Si
Navigation is nice, I have it in my current car, but a car I am buying for performance doesn't need one. I used a portable device for a number of years and its perfectly fine when it is needed. The option to have sat nav doesn't weigh on my mind one bit for this car purchase. Any other car I buy, that is not primarily for performance, I'll want it.

Mark
Joker57676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:12 AM   #9
TomServo

Drives: 2007 Z06
I'd be willing to bet it'll show up. WHY because every other car it'll compete against in sales has it?

Be patient, GM will come around in a year or two. And by then that will give us early adaptors a reason to trade up. Just like why no convertible or HUD.
Isn't that the way GM works??
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:46 AM   #10
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
For one Sat Naves cannot find you the "Fun Roads" You have to know where they are int he first place... now give me one that I can say I want to go to destination X and make my route over the roads that are real "Drivers roads" instead of the shortest or fastest routes then I may want one. Besides you have On-Star, and if you get the service with navagation you just tell them where you want to go and they program it for you, you can even tell them any side trip along the way... No hassel with pushing buttons or anything...
Old 11-05-2008, 09:15 AM   #11
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
To each his own. I'd never use the sat'/nav' and am fine with keeping costs down and leaving me the option to use what I want. Shoot, my phone even has nav' so I wouldn't want to pay extra on this car.

JMVHO.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:21 AM   #12
EMB135Driver
Jedi Master

Drives: Boeing 757/767+2010 IBM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
The car is ordered but obviously with no sat nav. Now I gotta drape ugly wires for an aftermarket one or run 5mins on a battery powered one.

You could also just buy a map...cheaper and can hide it when not in use. I don't understand people who have SAT NAV systems permanently affixed to their dashboards/windshields and never leave their own town.....its an expensive toy in most instances.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:22 AM   #13
transfrmn
Imperial Blue LT2/RS

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
Quote:
well most sat navs are getting a lot cheaper now so its not big deal go buy a nice one with a little money as the for the battery and wires well mine runs for 4 hrs on battery and its near 2 yrs old some of the newer Garmins can make 5 or even 6 hrs. also my dad has a built in nav and so does a few of my friends and they all agree that they think mine is better

a touchscreen radio would have been nice in the camaro though
transfrmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:00 AM   #14
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Now I gotta drape ugly wires for an aftermarket one or run 5mins on a battery powered one.
Do you really drive to an unknown area so often that one wire (not wireS) for a short time is an issue? I use mine maybe once every couple months. Hardly an issue.

The battery lasts approx. 3 or 4 hours, not 5 minutes.

And it can be hidden easily, just throw it in the center console or glove compartment...

$200 Garmin > factory unit that costs hundreds more

Now, I'll admit, the unit that comes standard in the Suzuki SX4 is a nice idea.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote