Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 07-01-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
tommygun6644

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Cobalt LT
Question for seasoned stick shift drivers

Hey guys,

As of 6/11/09, I became the proud owner of a 2SS/RS IBM Camaro w/ Sunroof and Manual Transmission.

It is my first stick shift car, and I've come a long way in terms of driving it between the 11th and now. I had to have a friend drive it home for me

But I have a few questions that I would appreciate if anyone can answer. It's basically do's and don'ts, more or less...I want to avoid "hurting" my baby as much as I can.

1. As you could probably guess, steep hills are a toughy for a new stick driver (me, anyways). And idiots where I live get right on my ass when I'm on a hill at a stop light or something. So what I have to do so I won't roll and hit the idiot behind me is keep the break depressed and let off the clutch until it hits that "sweet spot" and starts to roll forward without giving it any gas. Is this considered "riding it", and how bad is it for the car? Also, backing up I have been inclined to do this to, since if I give it gas a let off the clutch I will probably go launching into a tree or something ... is this normal?

2. When at a light, do you recommend keeping the clutch depressed or putting it in neutral and letting off the clutch?

Thanks in advance
tommygun6644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:29 PM   #2
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
1. Don't be afraid to use the emergency brake to help hold you in place on a hill until you get the hang of it. Go somewhere where you are by yourself and practice. It will payoff.

2. Don't think it matters. Depends on the length of the light, how long you've be driving, etc, etc. Either way isn't going to hurt the car.

Good luck!
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:30 PM   #3
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Answer #1: No. That's just the clutch grabbing onto the engine power to start moving the car: think of it as the equivalent to the idle speed 5 mph on an automatic car. RIDING the clutch is when you give the car gas while you have the clutch depressed which will wear it out. It's common for folks to ride the clutch if they're trying to do a speedy reverse. It's okay to cheat once in awhile but don't make a habit of it. As for steep hills, if it's working for you right now and your car hasn't blown up yet, then keep doing it.

Answer #2: When you're at a light, just put it in first and keep your foot on the clutch. It's not worth putting in neutral since it's bound to not last too long.
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:31 PM   #4
onechuck
Onechuck

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2SS\RS SC & Cammed
If you are on a hill you can hold in on the emergency button with it pulled up and when you take off just let the emergency brake go, hope this helps. The more you drive it the better you will get. At a light, depending on how long the light is, I usually just leave the clutch in till I am ready to go.
onechuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:31 PM   #5
Mark A Collier Sr
Retired Army, 101st ABN

Drives: 2 SS/RS w/sunroof
DO NOT drive with your left foot on the clutch petal! It will mess it up.
Learn the balance of gas and clutch... You do not have to over rev to make it go! If you let the clutch out slow enough, you can start off without touching the gas!!

PRACTICE!!!! Parking lot, driveway... YOU can do it! I have my 14 year old son driving a stick already! You can do it!
BORN ON 4 NOV 09 at 12:26pm VIN:63460~ HOME on 18 NOV 09!
"101BABY"
Mark A Collier Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:35 PM   #6
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Good advice while on a hill. When I am at a stop light I almost always put it in neutral and then just relax. Some of the lights can be rather long.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:39 PM   #7
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
At a red light, put it in nuetral with the clutch out and your foot off the clutch pedal. Take it easy on the throw out bearing.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:43 PM   #8
Rtoups

Drives: RJT 2LT
I must say, this is helping me, and I don't even have a car yet! But I plan on getting my V6 Camaro with a manual transmission, and this is making me less nervous.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:43 PM   #9
Yellow2010

Drives: Rally Yellow 2SS 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by onechuck View Post
If you are on a hill you can hold in on the emergency button with it pulled up and when you take off just let the emergency brake go, hope this helps. The more you drive it the better you will get. At a light, depending on how long the light is, I usually just leave the clutch in till I am ready to go.
Good advice. That is how I learned taking off from a hill.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:54 PM   #10
tommygun6644

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Cobalt LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
Answer #1: No. That's just the clutch grabbing onto the engine power to start moving the car: think of it as the equivalent to the idle speed 5 mph on an automatic car. RIDING the clutch is when you give the car gas while you have the clutch depressed which will wear it out. It's common for folks to ride the clutch if they're trying to do a speedy reverse. It's okay to cheat once in awhile but don't make a habit of it. As for steep hills, if it's working for you right now and your car hasn't blown up yet, then keep doing it.

Answer #2: When you're at a light, just put it in first and keep your foot on the clutch. It's not worth putting in neutral since it's bound to not last too long.

So, with your definition of riding the clutch, is it normal to ride it for split seconds at a time when your taking off (balancing it with the gas) or shifting? Maybe I just need to be quicker or more fluid.
tommygun6644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:10 PM   #11
jdbaker82
Banned

Drives: None
From what my dad told me you should put it in neutral at a light its never good to keep the clutch depressed any longer then it needs to be.
jdbaker82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:10 PM   #12
jdanza

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS VR-BLACK
Put the car in neutral when your not moving, depress the clutch as few times as you can, try never to hold the pedal down too long. This will prevent wear on the clutch and the T.O. bearing , very costly to replace.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:39 PM   #13
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
Do all the above, just avoid using the clutch eased out to hold the car on a hill or any incline.Use the brake and the emergency brake if some one pulls in close behind you. You will get to where lightning fast your off the brake and out just right on the clutch and on the gas for a smooth start like a pro. It helps to not allow the guy behind you to get too close, on a hill you will usually roll a tad so just ease up a little if you see him come in too much.
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:41 PM   #14
jakemaxx

Drives: 1969 impala
if there is someone on my bumper i put it in reverse so they see the lights