Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #1
civdiv99

Drives: 2011 SS/RS Auto in Silver Ice
Am I being unreasonable in thinking my Camaro has very poor build quality?

Allow me to explain. I bought a silver 2SS a couple of years ago at my wife's urging. Yeah I drove it first. She wanted it anyway. After a little while, I started noticing all the things you may not "see" on the lot.

1. Part of the inside of the trunk lid isn't painted. 90% of it is, and then there is an area that looks like the paint gun ran out, or just faded away. Fortunately, it's a silver car, so it's not real obvious.
2. You have to hold your feet off the floor until you are in far enough to put them near the pedals. If you rest your left foot on the floor near the sill, the very poor fitting carpet pulls the plastic trim out of shape (the carpet is too small and thus does not lay flat on the floor).
3. When the doors are closed, the passenger door trim fits reasonably close to the dash; the gap is small. On the driver's side, a child could slide a hand between the plastic trim. It's that poor of fit.
4. The car is really sluggish. Maybe that is the intent, but it makes for an unsatisfying driving experience. I pointed this out at test drive - she wanted it anyway, so ok fine. I told myself maybe it isn't that bad. No, it is. I've seen clips, etc. whereby people can actually break the rear tires loose. I sure don't know how, put I can promise you flooring my SS results in, well, motoring away from the light. No drama. I took it to the dealer about this - all normal says they. Really? My pickup is more responsive.
5. The driver's window comes back down at least half the time when raising it using the "express" feature. As a solution, the dealer gave me a copy of some GM bulletin that says, basically, "Yeah, we know. Live with it until it doesn't do that any more.". I'm not sure how many years I should be waiting.

Not a troll, and here's a picture in my driveway - I'm a legit owner here.

Please no "you shouldn't have bought it" replies. That ship has sailed. A tune sounds good, but should be icing on the cake, not necessary to make the cake palatable to begin with. The car only has a couple thousand miles on it after a couple of years. The other day my 55 yr old wife commented that she likes driving the truck for it's punchy engine. This from a woman with a $40K 2SS in the garage........

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1361145985.750832.jpg
Views: 3143
Size:  75.3 KB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #2
family man

Drives: .
Sell it.
family man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Warranty
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
GotGame55
Haters gonna hate?

Drives: '04 Chevy Dirtymax
Bentley
Old 02-17-2013, 06:14 PM   #5
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
sluggish? may need fuse pull, make sure premium gas is used..
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #6
Rob3D

Drives: Car
So sorry to hear about all that bad luck. I am very pleased with my build and overall quality. Maybe you got one of those built on a friday or something like that... maybe you could let Chevrolet know and get some resolution...

Did you change the driving mode when you were trying to lose the sluggishness?

I assure you that none of that is normal in my experience....
Rob3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #7
Michael2000

Drives: .
Is this an automatic or manual car?

What happens if your turn the traction control off?

Michael
Michael2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #8
parkerss

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Im guessing you also have the Automatic? If your unhappy with the performance I would tell you to order a Hypertech programmer. It will wake up the engine and Transmission. Its a VERY simple easy to use tool and well worth every penny. Than YOU can control how you want everything and not have to go back to the Tune guy. As far as the build of the vehicle... go look at another Camaro and see if its the same as yours..if not warranty.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #9
Mick1

Drives: 2013 2SS LS3
i would like to know what kind of truck the OP has that is more responsive than a SS camaro
Mick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #10
Mr pogo

Drives: 96 Imp SS, 13 Camaro 2SS AGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post
Is this an automatic or manual car?

What happens if your turn the traction control off?

Michael
according to his profile its an auto.

I would suggest running it in M and competition mode with and without using tapshift.
or even with everything off.
part of the issue with autos, imo, is in regular D it defaults to second at a stop and the shifting parameters are conservative.
so try it in the other modes and see if you notice a better pickup.

PS plus the AFM slows down throttle response, theres a way to disable it temporarily using tapshifting.

Last edited by Mr pogo; 02-17-2013 at 06:31 PM. Reason: AFM
Mr pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #11
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
stop putting 87 in the tank. dont even understand what you mean about the feet thing. the trunk paint thing is weird and should be fixed...just as you should have seen it before purchase.

have you tried smoking your tires with traction off? like hold for ten seconds off. if your truck is quicker i want your truck
SPCBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #12
2010SS2SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2SS
Trade it for a vette! People never believe that cars are like people. Jsut because we all have the same parts, we all have our own issues. You may have got a car built on monday by someone with a hangover or friday when they were thinking about happy hour.
Take it to a dealer get it fixed or trade it! I've have a early release 09 and have had no issues other than my seat heater shorting out and the obligatory popping in the front end. Been very happy with it for a car I originally thought I might own a year.
2010SS2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:35 PM   #13
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
I'll agree in the sense that for 35-40k the quality should be much higher. the fit and finish on these cars is pretty poor. It doesn't bother me so much as mine is an LS and only spent 20ish on mine. I expected a trade off in fit n finish for the performance, handling, and saftey features of the car. but with the SS your getting into the bottom of the price range of BMW, Audi, infinity and Lexus.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:37 PM   #14
civdiv99

Drives: 2011 SS/RS Auto in Silver Ice
Didn't know it defaulted to second in D ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr pogo View Post
according to his profile its an auto.

I would suggest running it in M and competition mode with and without using tapshift.
or even with everything off.
part of the issue with autos, imo, is in regular D it defaults to second at a stop and the shifting parameters are conservative.
so try it in the other modes and see if you notice a better pickup.

PS plus the AFM slows down throttle response, theres a way to disable it temporarily using tapshifting.
civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote