Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-30-2013, 04:57 PM   #1
guerra cues
Inferno Orange - 2LT RS

Drives: Inferno Orange - 2LT RS
Send a message via Skype™ to guerra cues
Why should I buy a Camaro 2LT?

Hey folks,

Newbie on the forum here...

I absolutely love the Camaro, any of the models, really...

So here is the deal and please don't tease me (ok, you can just a bit )
I have a Toyota Prius with 285K miles, I commute about 200 miles a day, maybe a bit less... I drive so much that I think I deserve a nice ride and on top of that my Prius is begging to be replaced...
I test drove Altima V6, Acura TL, Mazda6 2014, Passat TDI and I do understand that the MPG will be something I would be giving up towards being comfortable with a ride that I love and that makes me feel good with this much driving...
Will the Camaro keep up with my driving? I will be making lots of miles... As long as I do the scheduled maintenance would the car do lots of miles as well? Everybody keeps telling me to go back to the Japanese or German market since I am doing these many miles...
I really need to have a sense of confidence that my V6 2LT will be able to keep up with the miles I do... Mostly highway btw.
I am looking at a red or black 2LT with all the gizmos, NAV, Infinity sound, leather seats, etc, etc.
guerra cues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:08 PM   #2
SuperSport2011

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs rally yellow L99
well personally if I was doing 200 miles a day I'd definitely get a car that's extremely good on gas lol, not saying that the v6 isn't good but for that kinda driving I would go a different route (personally). As far as durability goes with the camaro it'll hold up as long as you keep up with your maintenance and take care of her. All in all I can say if you get a camaro you'll enjoy making your trip everyday and if this is a reward for yourself then get it, it's not like your gonna be paying that much more for gas anyway...small price to pay for an awesome ride. By the way what do you do that involves driving so much with your own personal vehicle?
- Kooks high flow cats - Borla atak 2.5" cat back exhaust - Dyno tune - AFM delete - 94 octane tune - Vitesse paddle shifters - Blacked out rims - Costum painted engine cover - T3 stripes - GM locking gas cap

Last edited by SuperSport2011; 03-30-2013 at 05:19 PM.
SuperSport2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
NYYFan325

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
In my 6spd V6 (just traded in) I got 27.2mpg on a 5 hour road trip. So if you sit in cruise control most of your trip you can get some great MPGs out of it!
Old 03-30-2013, 05:11 PM   #4
Sleez

Drives: 2010, 2LT, RS, 6M, ABM (#1893) SOLD
welcome to camaro5

drive one, if you like it, it should be great for you.

i see between 25 and 30 mpg on highway driving, and regularly get 23-25 in northern CA mixed driving.

can't speak for longevity, mine has just over 26k miles (about 7k/year since i bought it with just under 13k miles), and no real problems to speak of.
2010 2LT/RS; 6M, ABM, Torq Thrust M w/custom center caps, Solo MachX-LLT, Blue Anodized Pedals, Barton Shifter w/UMI blue anodized pistol grip, Ported IM from Mace, 25mm isolator/spacer from Mace, Vararam CAI, Euro Rear Fascia, RX Breather Cap. SOLD 4/23/13.

Now have a 1965 Chevelle 4 dr wagon!!
Sleez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:13 PM   #5
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Get another hybrid for commuting and a toy car for weekends.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:13 PM   #6
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
I'd definitely get a car that is way more economical if you drive that many miles a day

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:14 PM   #7

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I think you're all wrong...That Prius should just now be getting broken-in and hitting it's stride...Stay with it...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:15 PM   #8
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Have you driven one yet?????????? If not do it! Once you get your permagrin on, you won't question the decision any more. You might as well enjoy all those commuting miles right? Make sure you punch it a little & feel that the V6 can still throw you back in your seat and make your face hurt from smiling. Then there is the great community here. I have made a lot of great friends here, learned a lot and...............well, just be careful of the mod bug. Once it bites you there is no cure but the treatment is...................more Camaro therapy. Seriously though, My 1LT was my daily driver for my 50 min commute for the first 2 years and I loved it. I miss driving it a lot of the time now but am glad to have the option to keep it safe in the garage & it's mileage down some. There are no really serious drawbacks. Just be sure you get an oil catch can installed ASAP to preserve your engine if you want to keep it for a long time (and you will). And put in full synthetic oil pretty soon too! Keep us posted on your decision.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:15 PM   #9
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
As much as I love my Camaro if I had to drive that many miles a day I would look at getting something like the Cruze Eco Manual. I drive one everyday and on the highway at 73 MPH with air conditioning on I was able to get 43MPG. I went 500 miles on one 12 gallon tank. I call that impressive for a car that 19K.
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:17 PM   #10
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
The 2LT would be great. It's comfortable, it has a presence, and the mileage would be good on the highway.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #11
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
IDK, probably not good to say it here, but if I were looking for something to put 300k miles on I'd stick with Toyota, then Honda, and then Nissan. stay away from VW, they're like owning a motorcycle, always fixing something. the only other thing I would consider would be a ford focus. probably aren't going to put 300k on it, but you'll pay a lot less for it than a car from the Japanese big three
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:32 PM   #12
guerra cues
Inferno Orange - 2LT RS

Drives: Inferno Orange - 2LT RS
Send a message via Skype™ to guerra cues
Guys,
Thanks for the awesome replies...
I know about the MPG, but at the end of the day it's all about driving something that makes you smile and makes you look good, even without a 6' tall blonde with blue eyes and long hair
I think that RubyCamaro shares my thoughts...
I did test drive a V8 (just for the heck of it and what a ride!!!) and I drove a 2 LT today again for the 2nd time and I loved it... The only thing I'm a bit bummed out is the fact that I thought that Chevrolet would have addressed the blind spot issue on the Camaro...
guerra cues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #13
CamaroKevin

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro 2LT RS SIM
Well the V6 Camaro is rated at 29 MPG HWY, even though the majority of us probably never reach that on our DIC. If you don't mind putting out the extra money for gas, switching from a Prius to a Camaro, then go for it. This Camaro is built to last as long as you take car of it. Plus HWY miles doesn't hurt as bad as city miles. Good luck in your decision!
CamaroKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:36 PM   #14
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
I forgot to mention that a German car would be awful since it would cost an astronomical amount of money to repair it. If you want a boring econo box, go with a Japanese car.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote