Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #1
AirBull

Drives: 2012 Corvette Z06
Why would I want a Z/28 over the ZL1?

After seeing the new Z/28 Nürburgring time at 7:37.4 compared to the ZL1's 7:41.3, I'm not terribly impressed with 3.9 seconds on a 13 mile track, for all that one gives up and pays more for, compared to that of a ZL1.

First off, nobody has seen the Z/28's straight acceleration times yet, 0-60, 1/4 mile, 0-100, and when they do, my guess is that it will be lucky to even keep pace with the ZL1. Despite the 300lbs weight savings, the Z/28 produces 505hp & 481lbs/ft torque (somehow 11lbs/ft more than the Z06?), for a total of 75hp & 76lbs/ft of torque less than the ZL1.

Sure, it's got a 3.91:1 rear axle compared to that of the 3.73:1 in the same manual transmission ZL1, but that's 75hp and lbs/ft of torque less than the ZL1! And what all do I have to give up in order to drive a Z/28?

First I have to pay more. GM sells the LS7 crate motor minus the dry sump for about $17k retail, compared to that of the LSA which retails for just under $14k. Sure, the Z/28 has carbon-ceramic Brembo brakes (not ideal for street use) but come on, the ZL1 still has very stout Brembo brakes, (which per GM's new ZL1 parts counter says the front and rear retail for $9,647 combined!) The Z/28 gets a little larger wheels and tires (which the star pattern looks like they were stolen off a Mustang and are horribly ugly in my humble opinion,) but as far as go-fast components, that's it.

Now I'm one of the LS7's biggest fans and love the hand-built motor in the 3150lbs Corvette Z06, but it's not doing it for me in the Camaro.

On top of that, to own a Z/28 I have to forgo the very useful and functional 3rd generation magnetic ride suspension, HID headlights, a radio, and A/C is optional?! Same goes for the tire-inflator kit, interior sound deadener and carpet in the trunk, smaller LN3 battery, and 2/10's of a mm thinner rear glass (really?)

If I wanted to build a track car, couldn't I do so for a lot less than the $65k to $70k a Z/28 is going to go for? For just a few fractions of a second less in road-course performance figures (not straight line,) I'll take the ZL1 with all the modern, real-world amenities that we have come to almost take for granted such as A/C, premium radio, navigation, etc., and scratch my head every time I see a Z/28 at a car show and say to myself "to each their own!"

Am I wrong here? Am I the only one who sees the new Z/28 and am just not that impressed? For me, the new Z/28 maybe more expensive than the ZL1, but the ZL1 is still King of the Camaro, and I'm fine with that.
AHP Package 4 LS7 heads: PSI 1511ML springs, Moldstar 90 guides, Ferrea F2042p exhaust valves, high velocity street porting | CHE LS trunnion kit | TSP custom cam: 8620 core, 220°/244°, .635"/.635", 116 LSA, 113 ICL | Johnson 2110 lifters | Katech C5-R timing chain | PowerBond Race Performance balancer PB1503SS | Machined Cup GM Wheels with Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP P285/30 R19 & P335/25 R20
AirBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
HeadonaStick

Drives: 2011 Camaro V6
I imagine your question is rhetorical since you have already answered your own question - - it sounds like you wouldn't buy a Z/28 over a ZL1.

I am sure you are not the only one who is not impressed, but many people are impressed. Different strokes for different folks.

Personally, I'd rather have the Z/28. It is limited, out of the box ready and I like the sum of the parts. But whatever works for you....
HeadonaStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
hidden_dragon

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible
The Z/28 is going to have a particular target market...which substantiates their low production numbers. This is not going to be for those looking at a daily driver, that's for sure. Personally, I already drive my preference

Good observation nonetheless.

hidden_dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
joeybsyc

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
If you want the baddest rarest new Camaro there is, and don't care what it costs, and aren't upset if it's not a good daily driver, get the Z/28. If you want a fast car you can drive daily, get the ZL1.

Honestly, I think a lot of ZL1 owners are just upset because their car is no longer the baddest Camaro there is. I would love to have either one, but the Z/28 is definitely the new king of the hill.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBull View Post
After seeing the new Z/28 Nürburgring time at 7:37.4 compared to the ZL1's 7:41.3, I'm not terribly impressed with 3.9 seconds on a 13 mile track, for all that one gives up and pays more for, compared to that of a ZL1.
Keep in mind GM claims they ran faster but it wasn't official since it wasn't video recorded.

Quote:
First off, nobody has seen the Z/28's straight acceleration times yet, 0-60, 1/4 mile, 0-100, and when they do, I guess it will be luck to even keep pace with the ZL1. Despite the 300lbs weight savings, the Z/28 produces 505hp & 481lbs/ft torque (somehow 10lbs/ft more than the Z06?), for a total of 75hp & 76lbs/ft of torque less than the ZL1.

Sure, it's got a 3.91:1 rear axle compared to that of the 3.73:1 in the same manual transmission ZL1, but that's 75hp and lbs/ft of torque less than the ZL1! And what all do I have to give up in order to drive a Z/28?
True, but the Z/28 wasn't built to go straight..

Quote:
First I have to pay more. GM sells the LS7 crate motor minus the dry sump for about $17k retail, compared to that of the LSA which retails for just under $14k. Sure, the Z/28 has carbon-ceramic Brembo brakes (not ideal for street use) but come on, the ZL1 still has very stout Brembo brakes, (which per GM's new ZL1 parts counter says the front and rear retail for $9,647 combined!) The Z/28 gets a little larger wheels and tires (which the star pattern looks like they were stolen off a Mustang and are horribly ugly in my humble opinion,) but as far as go-fast components, that's it.

On top of that, to own a Z/28 I have to forgo the very useful and functional HID headlights, a radio, and A/C is optional?! Same goes for the tire-inflator kit, interior sound deadener and carpet in the trunk, smaller LN3 battery, and 2/10's of a mm thinner rear glass (really?)
I agree, you pay more for the car with less amenities, but it isn't meant to be a daily. It is purely meant to be driven on a track.

Quote:
If I wanted to build a track car, couldn't I do so for a lot less than the $65k to $70k a Z/28 is going to go for? For just a few fractions of a second less in road-course performance figures (not straight line,) I'll take the ZL1 with all the modern, real-world amenities that we have come to almost take for granted such as the ZL1 magnetic ride suspension, A/C, premium radio, navigation, etc., and scratch my head every time I see a Z/28 at a car show and say to myself "to each their own!"
I agree, for $70k there are better options out there, IMO.

Quote:
Am I wrong here? Am I the only one who sees the new Z/28 and am just not that impressed? For me, the new Z/28 maybe more expensive than the ZL1, but the ZL1 is still King of the Camaro, and I'm fine with that.
I personally much prefer the ZL1, I like the price more, I like the looks more, I like the amenities, I like the magnetic ride. But that's why I got a ZL1 and not a Z/28. That's why we have CHOICES, something for everyone (V6, SS, 1LE, ZL1, Z/28).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidden_dragon View Post
The Z/28 is going to have a particular target market...which substantiates their low production numbers. This is not going to be for those looking at a daily driver, that's for sure. Personally, I already drive my preference

Good observation nonetheless.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:36 PM   #6
ZL1 Spoked

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybsyc View Post
If you want the baddest rarest new Camaro there is, and don't care what it costs, or if it's not a good daily driver, get the Z/28. If you want a car you can drive daily, get the ZL1.

Honestly, I think a lot of ZL1 owners are just upset because their car is no longer the baddest Camaro there is.
Then you must be super upset you only have an SS

604 RWHP 602 LBS/TQ
ZL1 Spoked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #7
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:

First off, nobody has seen the Z/28's straight acceleration times yet, 0-60, 1/4 mile, 0-100, and when they do, my guess is that it will be lucky to even keep pace with the ZL1. Despite the 300lbs weight savings, the Z/28 produces 505hp & 481lbs/ft torque (somehow 11lbs/ft more than the Z06?), for a total of 75hp & 76lbs/ft of torque less than the ZL1.

Now I'm one of the LS7's biggest fans and love the hand-built motor in the 3150lbs Corvette Z06, but it's not doing it for me in the Camaro.

On top of that, to own a Z/28 I have to forgo the very useful and functional 3rd generation magnetic ride suspension, HID headlights, a radio, and A/C is optional?! Same goes for the tire-inflator kit, interior sound deadener and carpet in the trunk, smaller LN3 battery, and 2/10's of a mm thinner rear glass (really?)

If I wanted to build a track car, couldn't I do so for a lot less than the $65k to $70k a Z/28 is going to go for? For just a few fractions of a second less in road-course performance figures (not straight line,) I'll take the ZL1 with all the modern, real-world amenities that we have come to almost take for granted such as A/C, premium radio, navigation, etc., and scratch my head every time I see a Z/28 at a car show and say to myself "to each their own!"

I am impressed but I am not getting rid of my Zl1. 75 less hp and still faster. why is that not impressive.

people who will will like the following

1. better brakes
2. lighter wieght
3. carries more speed through the corners
4. I like the power deliery of the LS7 better than the lSA stock

now on the flip side the ZL1 is a hands down better driver/touring car. Mods easier I have more RWHP with 2 hours labor on my car than my buddies heads cam z06 did.

nobody has even driven Z/28 yet though.

I WILL SAY THIS AGAIN YOU CANT SAY ONE CAR IS BETTER THAN ANOTHER WITHOUT DRIVING BOTH.

that time around the ring is proof bottom line that the Z/28 brings it at the track. think what a heads cam Z/28 will do.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #8
Matt@510
Account Suspended

Drives: c6 vette cam & full bolt-ons
after all the problems we have seen with the LS7 valvetrain lately
Matt@510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #9
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
I don't know, but if I wasn't shopping until now, it would be tough for me. Bottom line is I'd probably get the Z/28 with the ac(I live in the south) and then put a decent aftermarket sound system in it because I listen to tunes always. But...

I love my car, I love my car, I love my car. So no way am I thinking of trading.

Answering the "owners are just upset" comment. I almost don't want to go here, but the ZL1 is still the most powerful production Camaro ever. But I don't care. The ZL1 came standard with so much awesomeness that I'm totally happy with it, and don't really give a crap what people think, which is what that statement implies, that I bought my car only because I cared what people think about my stuff.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #10
hidden_dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybsyc View Post
If you want the baddest rarest new Camaro there is, and don't care what it costs, and aren't upset if it's not a good daily driver, get the Z/28. If you want a fast car you can drive daily, get the ZL1.

Honestly, I think a lot of ZL1 owners are just upset because their car is no longer the baddest Camaro there is. I would love to have either one, but the Z/28 is definitely the new king of the hill.
Frankly, the baddest rarest Camaro there is is probably the COPO...not the Z/28. However, that being said, the Z/28 is the street-legal version.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #11
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Frankly, the baddest rarest Camaro there is is probably the COPO...not the Z/28. However, that being said, the Z/28 is the street-legal version.

Two different cars, one a track car the other a drag car. IMO the ZL1 is baddest because it does everything so well and it is the most powerfull.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #12
hidden_dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
Two different cars, one a track car the other a drag car. IMO the ZL1 is baddest because it does everything so well and it is the most powerfull.
True. In any event, I still prefer the ZL1

Old 10-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #13
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
True. In any event, I still prefer the ZL1

Me too!
Old 10-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #14
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...bottom line to me will be the MSRP. WE have seen all the stats on the ZL1, it's a proven car. Hard information is just coming out on the Z/28. You gotta weigh it all out. But in the end Chevy will deliver a finished product at a price that is reasonable. This is all going to take some time to digest.