Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 02-26-2015, 03:40 PM   #1
easyfame

Drives: 2013 Camaro LFX
Do foglights improve night visibility?

Getting my foglight kit in the mail today from gen5diy and was wondering if there is a noticeable difference with the addition of the foglights when running them at night or is it just for looks.

I noticed the stock halogens on the 1ls are pretty poor at night when compared to other cars.
MRT V2 Axle Back, Cold Air Inductions Intake, Vitesse Throttle Controller, 20" Voxx SS Wheels Matte Black, Blacked Out Bowtie, Side Markers, Taillight Bezels, Front Bowtie Delete, 1LE Suede Steering Wheel, Shift Knob and boot. 4-Pack Gauge Cluster, Fog Lights
easyfame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:47 PM   #2
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
Poor? They seem fine to me.

As for the fog lights, they're not going to be a lot of help at night but certainly a small benefit in poor weather to give you that slightly better illumination of the road. Has to do with where your eyes focus in poor visibility (fog, heavy precipitation). When it's clear you look further down the road hence no advantage most of the time, but you tend to look directly in front of the vehicle more during bad weather to ensure you're staying in lane, etc.

But really, they're for looks.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:06 PM   #3
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Fog lights are great at illuminating potholes and debris.

Mine are always on, in my non-RS Camaro.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:11 PM   #4
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
The true purpose of a fog light is not to see better in adverse conditions, but to be better seen in adverse conditions.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:23 PM   #5
stoopid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
The true purpose of a fog light is not to see better in adverse conditions, but to be better seen in adverse conditions.
Entirely incorrect. Proper fogs are angled such that they illuminate the road "with a sharp cutoff at the top, and are generally aimed and mounted low... were designed for use at low speed to increase the illumination directed towards the road surface and verges in conditions of poor visibility due to rain, fog, dust or snow."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automot...ront_fog_lamps

The Camaro fogs are more ornamental though, as I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) they do not have a sharp cutoff at the top nor are they particularly aimed downward like a good set of fogs would be. They rely more on their low placement on the front of the vehicle for any benefit, but because they're not aimed it's mostly just for looks.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:28 PM   #6
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
I run them 'on' any time the headlights are off. I feel they make my car more visible than DRLs.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:46 PM   #7
NJScorpio

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopid View Post
Entirely incorrect. Proper fogs are angled such that they illuminate the road "with a sharp cutoff at the top, and are generally aimed and mounted low... were designed for use at low speed to increase the illumination directed towards the road surface and verges in conditions of poor visibility due to rain, fog, dust or snow."

The Camaro fogs are more ornamental though, as I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) they do not have a sharp cutoff at the top nor are they particularly aimed downward like a good set of fogs would be. They rely more on their low placement on the front of the vehicle for any benefit, but because they're not aimed it's mostly just for looks.
But in theory, could after market fog lights have a different angle and cutoff, and thus more functional?

Last edited by NJScorpio; 02-27-2015 at 08:00 AM.
NJScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:04 PM   #8
Jfoster

Drives: 2016 GT vert.
I think they help alittle with luminating the center line and fog lines, but not much. By the time they luminate anything that your headlamps didn't catch you've already ran over it or into it. About all their really good at is pissing off other drivers in clear weather.
Jfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:13 PM   #9
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfoster View Post
I think they help alittle with luminating the center line and fog lines, but not much. By the time they luminate anything that your headlamps didn't catch you've already ran over it or into it. About all their really good at is pissing off other drivers in clear weather.
Probably 1/2 of the SS 5Gens I see here run with the fogs on instead of DRLs

They do not produce any "pisses off other drivers" effect when I look at those other cars.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:02 PM   #10
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Fog lights are great at illuminating potholes and debris.

Mine are always on, in my non-RS Camaro.
I agree, they throw light low down right in front of the car and it helps me dodge all the potholes around here.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:08 AM   #11
stoopid

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
But in theory, could market fog lights have a different angle and cutoff, and thus more functional?
The manufacturer would put that in the product description. The OE fogs don't claim to be. They're mostly for decoration.

I know with our second car the fogs help. They're aimed and cut off as the wikipedia page explains.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:22 AM   #12
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopid View Post

I stand corrected, thanks for the info.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:35 AM   #13
jkchambless
Austin LT

Drives: 1LT - Airaid,JBA Axleback,VMax PTB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 1 View Post
I agree, they throw light low down right in front of the car and it helps me dodge all the potholes around here.
+1
jkchambless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:42 AM   #14
easyfame

Drives: 2013 Camaro LFX
Well just put them back in last night and my God what a difference in looks and visibility. Some users hit the nail on the head, the ground in front of the car is much easier to see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MRT V2 Axle Back, Cold Air Inductions Intake, Vitesse Throttle Controller, 20" Voxx SS Wheels Matte Black, Blacked Out Bowtie, Side Markers, Taillight Bezels, Front Bowtie Delete, 1LE Suede Steering Wheel, Shift Knob and boot. 4-Pack Gauge Cluster, Fog Lights
easyfame is offline   Reply With Quote