Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-16-2019, 06:03 AM   #1
i6oz

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Muffler & AFM

Hello Camaro5,

I know this has been posted a lot, but I never found anyone talking about how it helps saving fuel. In addition, correct me if I am wrong, I read that if you start using paddle shifters it will "disable the AFM" temporarily, so after reading this I started considering keeping AFM.

Another thing is that If I did a muffler delete, should I tune my car ('11 SS)? I read that it could mess the "air/fuel" ratio. Please excuse me since I am new to the whole cars scene.

My whole point is that I saw a lot of posts complaining about how the AFM is interfering with their exhaust sounds.. However, for now, I will go for just a muffler delete and start using paddle shifters more if it doesn't need any tuning.
i6oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 08:22 AM   #2
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Its true. Once you start driving in manual mode in 1st using the paddles I upshifted to 2nd then back to 1st as soon as I left my driveway. Your first downshift followed by an upshift in any gear will disable the afm.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 08:56 AM   #3
silverstorm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
Doing a muffler delete will mess with the air/fuel ratio but not much. You don't really need a tune since it's nothing performance wise just sound.
silverstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 09:11 AM   #4
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Honestly, I would start with a resonator delete and add an x-pipe first.

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 10:44 AM   #5
i6oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Its true. Once you start driving in manual mode in 1st using the paddles I upshifted to 2nd then back to 1st as soon as I left my driveway. Your first downshift followed by an upshift in any gear will disable the afm.
Thanks for the information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstorm View Post
Doing a muffler delete will mess with the air/fuel ratio but not much. You don't really need a tune since it's nothing performance wise just sound.
The thing is that I read alot online, but nothing gives me a direct answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPLPunk View Post
Honestly, I would start with a resonator delete and add an x-pipe first.
Is it going to let the car have a meaner sound/more pops? For now I am going cheap till I save money to get a proper exhaust system from our dealership's accessory branch since they give approvals (so you don't get fined)
Old 02-16-2019, 11:11 AM   #6
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
I would have to say for 99.9% of the people on this forum, saving fuel is the L A S T thing considered with 99.9% of the mods discussed. Some will argue both ways on AFM delete. But again, most are too happy to be driving on the 8 cylinders they PAID FOR to ever look at MPG. I think I’d be happy to get less MPG but have never paid much attention. Right now, I’d pay to stop the torrential rain and snow in CA!
Old 02-16-2019, 11:17 AM   #7
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
If you want a legitimate mod that has proven HP gains, (albeit minor) get a CAI. The sound alone is worth the $300-500 price for daily or weekend warriors. I’d recommend a GM Z/28 model. But people like others too. Debatable, but no tune is required.

What are emission laws like there?
Old 02-16-2019, 11:49 PM   #8
i6oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
I would have to say for 99.9% of the people on this forum, saving fuel is the L A S T thing considered with 99.9% of the mods discussed. Some will argue both ways on AFM delete. But again, most are too happy to be driving on the 8 cylinders they PAID FOR to ever look at MPG. I think I’d be happy to get less MPG but have never paid much attention. Right now, I’d pay to stop the torrential rain and snow in CA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
If you want a legitimate mod that has proven HP gains, (albeit minor) get a CAI. The sound alone is worth the $300-500 price for daily or weekend warriors. I’d recommend a GM Z/28 model. But people like others too. Debatable, but no tune is required.

What are emission laws like there?
Yea, that's what I noticed too. No one cares about fuel. Anyways, it is not bad to keep the AFM since you can get the 8 cylinders you paid for by using the paddle shifters. In other words, it is good to have both. I am willing to get a CAI in the future, however, that is not my #1 priority. Now I am looking for a bumper swap. 5gen -> 6gen zl1
Old 02-17-2019, 10:04 AM   #9
Chris49066SS

Drives: 2010 SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Ugh I remember having to do that nonsense lol. You doing a cam anytime soon Ron? Thats when the AFM lifters really need to go
Chris49066SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:13 AM   #10
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris49066SS View Post
Ugh I remember having to do that nonsense lol. You doing a cam anytime soon Ron? Thats when the AFM lifters really need to go
Well I'm hoping over this winter....but other things have popped up so it may be put off a bit..but yes a cam is my next mod for sure.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:15 PM   #11
Crazystax

Drives: 2014 camaro ss 6.2 Hemi
2014 ss Camaro ...Delete Exhaust & Resonator

Lost damn near all my power tryna create that Crazy sound. how do i get that Hp back...and keep the Sound?
Crazystax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:29 PM   #12
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Hmm a camaro SS with a 6.8 hemi.... sounds like a load to me.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.

Last edited by Aqua Blue RS/SS; 02-17-2019 at 11:39 PM.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:14 AM   #13
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazystax View Post
Lost damn near all my power tryna create that Crazy sound. how do i get that Hp back...and keep the Sound?
There is no power gain from catback exhaust.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:12 AM   #14
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
Hmm a camaro SS with a 6.8 hemi.... sounds like a load to me.

mine has a 6.2 kidney

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote