Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest / Pacific Northwest

Old 07-25-2014, 04:37 PM   #1
Wabbit

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS SIM/Grey lnt/Sun/Nav
Recall Keys

After calling a couple of dealers (between Puyallup and Marysville) about the recall keys, I learned a couple of interesting things.

Most of the dealers in the area will order the keys based on your VIN. The only dealer that has the key cutting machine that I have found in the area is Roy Robinson in Marysville. So, if you want to do the recall quickly, you can go there (weekdays only) to get your keys cut.

Now the disturbing part. After talking to eight different dealers, three have said they will perform the recall regardless of the customers wishes. You might want to verify with your dealer that you do not want your keys broken before you take it in for service. (Sounds like they would have to order the keys regardless) Some have said they send out for the keys to be cut locally, so you might still get the shaft on the recall.

Be careful when you take your car in for service, you may not get your key back in one piece. I have thought about getting a spare key cut, so I give the dealer the spare and not the switchblade. This is what started the hunt.

BTW: I will not say what dealers gave me which answer.
Ambient Lighting - Saving my $$$ now

Last edited by Wabbit; 07-25-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:20 PM   #2
Pflyn lo

Drives: 2013 summit white zl1
What did puyallup Chevrolet say? I am needing service soon and would like to know what they said
Pflyn lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:22 PM   #3
Jayhawk500

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Thanks for the advice! A spare generic key would be good for the dealer.
From what the dealer told me a few years ago, those keys are cut via the VIN number anyway. I don't think they need the original key.
I have no intention of allowing the recall to be preformed without my consent. But I'll ask the service manager. If that's the case, I guess it will go to my wifes mechanic. The dealer will loose out on my business.

Anyone who's knees can touch the steering column and turn off the key is sitting too close to the wheel! There's at least 8-10" between my knee and the key. Sounds like a knee jerk reaction by GM. Are the 'Vettes or Caddy's being recalled, I think not.

I still haven't received a notice from GM concerning the recall as of yet.

Update:

Questions I asked to the service manager friend of mine:

1. Is this a mandatory recall? Yep. GM can't force you to do the recall.

2. If it is, Can I opt out of the recall and sign some paperwork stating so?
He has seen paperwork in the past on other recall stating owners won't hold GM liable. If you have Onstar, it will continue to remind you of the recall. It will also come up when ever you take it in for service.

3. Can I keep my OEM keys? He says, yes.

2010 2SS/RS, Six speed, Rally Yellow w/ Black Painted Stripes, Boston Acoustic Stereo, Polished 20" wheels, Solo Mach X Catback Exhaust, Solo HF Cats, Halltech CAI, Full Dash & Door ABL, ABL Lit Homelink Buttons, HUD Installed, Ride Tunes, Full Electric Passenger Seat, Fbodfather signed, VIN # 4492, PAID OFF!!!
2010 Yellow 2SS/RS with black painted Stripes...$37,000.00; Ride Tones sound system and remote...$ 40.00; Seeing the kids faces (Young and Old) light up and almost wet their pants....Priceless!!!

Last edited by Jayhawk500; 07-25-2014 at 06:23 PM.
Jayhawk500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:23 PM   #4
iceman5730
Iceman

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT SC/RS CGM
Dealer in Chilliwack indicated I had a choice if I did not want the new key I signed a waiver what ever you want to call it. This was sanctioned by GM. So you have a choice
Old 07-25-2014, 05:29 PM   #5
EETSMine

Drives: 2010 2SS ABM #3566
You have a choice. My dealer in Vancouver Wa. Has no issues with me keeping my keys.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:38 PM   #6
Wabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pflyn lo View Post
What did puyallup Chevrolet say? I am needing service soon and would like to know what they said
Nobody in service would answer the phone. I am almost due for some work as well, and I want to know before I get a key broken.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:39 PM   #7
Wabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman5730 View Post
Dealer in Chilliwack indicated I had a choice if I did not want the new key I signed a waiver what ever you want to call it. This was sanctioned by GM. So you have a choice
But, if an over-zealous adviser or tech breaks the key anyway, you are out of luck.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:43 PM   #8
Wabbit

Jayhawk, different dealers are giving me different responses on those same questions. One said absolutely no way will they return my car to me without performing the recall, no paperwork/waiver can be done. Luckily, some of us know better...
Old 07-25-2014, 06:24 PM   #9
Jayhawk500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbit View Post
Jayhawk, different dealers are giving me different responses on those same questions. One said absolutely no way will they return my car to me without performing the recall, no paperwork/waiver can be done. Luckily, some of us know better...
Make the drive down to Oceancrest here in Warrenton.

2010 2SS/RS, Six speed, Rally Yellow w/ Black Painted Stripes, Boston Acoustic Stereo, Polished 20" wheels, Solo Mach X Catback Exhaust, Solo HF Cats, Halltech CAI, Full Dash & Door ABL, ABL Lit Homelink Buttons, HUD Installed, Ride Tunes, Full Electric Passenger Seat, Fbodfather signed, VIN # 4492, PAID OFF!!!
2010 Yellow 2SS/RS with black painted Stripes...$37,000.00; Ride Tones sound system and remote...$ 40.00; Seeing the kids faces (Young and Old) light up and almost wet their pants....Priceless!!!
Old 07-25-2014, 06:25 PM   #10
Jayhawk500

Quote:
Have you received a notice in the mail of the recall? If not, you never knew of the recall.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:07 PM   #11
Pflyn lo

Drives: 2013 summit white zl1
Quote:
Nobody in service would answer the phone. I am almost due for some work as well, and I want to know before I get a key broken.
I called, talked to Stephanie, said I can sign the opt out paperwork and no new keys.
Pflyn lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:21 AM   #12
Wabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pflyn lo View Post
I called, talked to Stephanie, said I can sign the opt out paperwork and no new keys.
Thanks, that's good to know. Think I still want the dorky spare, though.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:07 AM   #13
Habbycatt

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE CRT
I went into Haselwood in Bremerton for service yesterday - they mentioned the key recall but no action was taken. I still have my keys and didn't sign any waiver.
I didn't even think to check before I went in.
I don't want to change out my keys.
Habbycatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:43 PM   #14
Dragonlady
Lovin' it!

Drives: 2010 Synergy or a '83 Z-28.
Quote:
Thanks, that's good to know. Think I still want the dorky spare, though.
I wouldn't mind a spare, since Gary has some how managed to destroy his FOB...absolutely NO buttons left, just holes. Since I don't drive the Camaro much, I'd give him my switchblade and keep the dorky recall. ( I know, I'm awesome!)
When we brought the Camaro into Sunset for the oil change, Gary just told him he wanted his key back. No issue.
I figure I'll just give them the destroyed one and oopppsss I don't know where the 2nd set went.....