Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-09-2015, 01:18 PM   #15
FloridaBill

Drives: 2022 2SS 1LE
From another thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6P View Post
#11340C: Special Coverage Adjustment - Timing Chain Wear - (Nov 5, 2012)
Subject: 11340C – Special Coverage Adjustment — Timing Chain Wear

Models: 2009 Buick Enclave
2007-2009 Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS
2009 Chevrolet Traverse
2007 GMC Acadia
2009 GMC Acadia
2007 Saturn OUTLOOK
2009 Saturn OUTLOOK
Equipped with 2.8L/3.6L Engine (LP1/LY7/LLT)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional vehicles have been added to this Special Coverage. The service procedure has been revised to include reprogramming of the ECM, if applicable. If a vehicle is presented and the timing chain replacement is not required, dealers are to reprogram the ECM if it has not already been reprogrammed. See the service procedure for details. This reprogramming is covered under this Special Coverage. Please discard all copies of bulletin 11340B, issued July 2012.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ConditionOn some 2007 model year GMC Acadia and Saturn OUTLOOK; 2007-2009 model year Cadillac CTS, SRX, and STS; 2009 model year Buick Enclave, Chevrolet Traverse, GMC Acadia, and Saturn OUTLOOK vehicles that are equipped with a 2.8L/3.6L V6 engine (LP1/LY7/LLT), under certain driving conditions, and with the vehicle's original oil change intervals, the timing chain could wear prematurely and cause the illumination of the Service Engine Soon light.

Special Coverage AdjustmentThis special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

Dealers are to replace the timing chain. If a customer brings their vehicle to the dealership and it is determined that the timing chain does not require replacement, dealers are to reprogram the ECM with updated software, if applicable. Refer to the Service Procedure contained in this bulletin to determine if reprogramming is required. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after February 17, 2012, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to February 17, 2012, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Vehicles InvolvedInvolved are certain 2007 model year GMC Acadia and Saturn OUTLOOK; 2007-2009 model year Cadillac CTS, SRX, and STS; 2009 model year Buick Enclave, Chevrolet Traverse, GMC Acadia, and Saturn OUTLOOK vehicles that are equipped with a 2.8L/3.6L V6 engine (LP1/LY7/LLT).

Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the Applicable Warranties section in the Global Warranty Management System.
Wondering if the Camaro was added to this list... If not why not? Hard to believe they were still using the weak chain in the 2010's.

A little nervous @ 63k and expired warranty...
FloridaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:30 PM   #16
lsaterz28
the vetteman

Drives: 68Z/28,09G8/GT,11RS/SS VT,13GMC PU
Fla Bill
with 63k on car your motor,trans, rearend good for 5years 100,000 miles
Yanko style side strips,BBK Long Tube headers no cats,Maggie 2300,Ported trottle body,58 lb injectors,Pedder's sub frame bushings,QTE cut outs,Corsa Performance Ex., Volant Cold Air Kit,catch can, SLP 20" Red Line Wheels, Raymond's Performance Tune
RAYMOND'S PERFORMANCE BUILT. Plainfield Indiana.
lsaterz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:35 PM   #17
FloridaBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsaterz28 View Post
Fla Bill
with 63k on car your motor,trans, rearend good for 5years 100,000 miles
The "born date" of my car was 11/13/2009, warranty expired on 1/25/2015.

Last edited by FloridaBill; 03-09-2015 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:10 PM   #18
tjea

Drives: 2014 1ss 1le Blk/Blk
Flor Bill,
I thought the warranty started at first registration/purchase. When was it first register.
tjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 02:18 PM   #19
FloridaBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjea View Post
Flor Bill,
I thought the warranty started at first registration/purchase. When was it first register.
Original delivery date must have been 1/25/2010 (I bought it used). Verified with "Track My Chevy" that the warranty expired 1/25/2015.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:57 PM   #20
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBill View Post
Wondering if the Camaro was added to this list... If not why not? Hard to believe they were still using the weak chain in the 2010's.

A little nervous @ 63k and expired warranty...
oh shoot thought the powertrain was 10 year/100,000. Guess my powertrain is out as well! Born date is 2/13/09.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:07 PM   #21
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
68k miles so still under powertrain warranty. I just don't get why if it's covered, I have to give the ok on $1400 of labor??
You better check the length of time you have on your extended warranty
If you are within the 100k miles , but if the time as expired , that's not good !
That's for the powertrain warranty
But you said you bought extended warranty , that a different coverage altogether
Again check date when you bought it and the milage on the contract !!!
Please check those dates
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:05 PM   #22
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
If it still runs ok I'd just dump the car, or drive it more until something fails that warranty will cover. They are gonna open up a can of worms.

The pre 2012 3.6 has known timing chain issues. This is probably what they will find, highly unlikely the sensor just failed, something took it out, either a piece of plastic or a bunch of metal shavings on the magnetic pickup. This may change the whole burden of who pays for this.

Before I'd commit to a $1400 gamble with a warranty company I might drain the oil myself and have a look at what may be in it.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:24 PM   #23
tc_sting

Drives: Camaro
Every time I took a prior car in for warranty work past its "bumper to bumper" limit, I was in for a fight with the service manager over what is covered and what is not.

My favorite was when a past auto-trans stopped shifting proper well within its 5 year 100K powertrain and my GM service manager said, "I don't think the transmission is covered by the powertrain warranty". Neat. But after some frank discussions and a call to GM customer service, it eventually shook itself out in my favor.

Very similar experience to what the OP seems to have gone through.

This is why I avoid extended warranties. Good luck trying to actually use one-- even GM's 100K powertrain. You must prove regular maintenance-- so keep all receipts! The dealership's computer system won't "find" them shockingly often.
tc_sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:39 AM   #24
mbowen89

Drives: 2015 CRT 2SS/RS 1LE
So if you change your own oil, how do you prove to them you changed it every X miles, so they don't deny a warranty claim because they have no idea how you maintained it?
mbowen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 11:45 AM   #25
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Whoever tried to steal $1400 from you... punch in the face.

F'n dealers in Florida are crooks. My elderly parents are constantly getting ripped off by those mf'ers. I even flew down once just to resolve a car repair issue. When faced with the facts, stories changed fast from ... give me a shtload of money to... we are sorry I guess that is covered.

MF'ers.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:56 PM   #26
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
You better check the length of time you have on your extended warranty
If you are within the 100k miles , but if the time as expired , that's not good !
That's for the powertrain warranty
But you said you bought extended warranty , that a different coverage altogether
Again check date when you bought it and the milage on the contract !!!
Please check those dates
I have the extended warranty and the dealership is covering the repair under that GMPP Major Guard warranty that I bought

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_wheel_mayhem View Post
If it still runs ok I'd just dump the car, or drive it more until something fails that warranty will cover. They are gonna open up a can of worms.

The pre 2012 3.6 has known timing chain issues. This is probably what they will find, highly unlikely the sensor just failed, something took it out, either a piece of plastic or a bunch of metal shavings on the magnetic pickup. This may change the whole burden of who pays for this.

Before I'd commit to a $1400 gamble with a warranty company I might drain the oil myself and have a look at what may be in it.
No gamble here. A few hours after, the dealership called to say they got it under warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc_sting View Post
Every time I took a prior car in for warranty work past its "bumper to bumper" limit, I was in for a fight with the service manager over what is covered and what is not.

My favorite was when a past auto-trans stopped shifting proper well within its 5 year 100K powertrain and my GM service manager said, "I don't think the transmission is covered by the powertrain warranty". Neat. But after some frank discussions and a call to GM customer service, it eventually shook itself out in my favor.

Very similar experience to what the OP seems to have gone through.

This is why I avoid extended warranties. Good luck trying to actually use one-- even GM's 100K powertrain. You must prove regular maintenance-- so keep all receipts! The dealership's computer system won't "find" them shockingly often.
I had a morning of shock because of what they said, but then THEY called me to let me know they looked more into it and it is covered, but not only that but also that I should come by and pick up a rental car for free. So they stepped up and there wasn't really back and forth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbowen89 View Post
So if you change your own oil, how do you prove to them you changed it every X miles, so they don't deny a warranty claim because they have no idea how you maintained it?
This is something I want to know as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Whoever tried to steal $1400 from you... punch in the face.

F'n dealers in Florida are crooks. My elderly parents are constantly getting ripped off by those mf'ers. I even flew down once just to resolve a car repair issue. When faced with the facts, stories changed fast from ... give me a shtload of money to... we are sorry I guess that is covered.

MF'ers.
As I said above, "I had a morning of shock because of what they said, but then THEY called me to let me know they looked more into it and it is covered, but not only that but also that I should come by and pick up a rental car for free. So they stepped up and there wasn't really back and forth."

So I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that no one is trying to steal money from me. Let me get my car back though, and I will confirm for sure.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
Old 03-13-2015, 04:04 PM   #27
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Got my car back today, as good as it was before the problems starting occurring and total bill of 0

Old 03-18-2015, 10:32 PM   #28
lsaterz28
the vetteman

Drives: 68Z/28,09G8/GT,11RS/SS VT,13GMC PU
Glad it worked out for you. Happy and safe driving.
Yanko style side strips,BBK Long Tube headers no cats,Maggie 2300,Ported trottle body,58 lb injectors,Pedder's sub frame bushings,QTE cut outs,Corsa Performance Ex., Volant Cold Air Kit,catch can, SLP 20" Red Line Wheels, Raymond's Performance Tune
RAYMOND'S PERFORMANCE BUILT. Plainfield Indiana.
lsaterz28 is offline   Reply With Quote