Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 09-03-2018, 11:23 AM   #1
Blasirl

Drives: 2014 Cruze LT, 2007 Cobalt
How-To: Paint and Install a Smoothlock door lock cover

Overview:
I wanted a way to enhance my Cruze (or 5th Gen Camaro) and this little item fit the bill perfectly. It covers up the only “eyesore” on the driver’s side of the vehicle. It is a quick, simple and relatively inexpensive way of enhancing your ride.

This tutorial is designed to teach you, as a novice, how to paint and install a Smoothlock lock cover. For the experienced painter this is a breeze for a project.

Tools Required:
- X-Acto type Knife
- A dust mask or better respirator
- A spray can handle is nice but not required
- A small tarp to help contain over spray

Materials Required:
- A correctly sized Smoothlock (The size you would ask for, for a 5th gen Camaro or Cruze, is size medium.)
- A can of adhesion promoter
- A can of matching automotive paint
(or even Rustoleum or Krylon will work for certain colors)
(If your Camaro is black, no need for painting at all)
- Isopropyl alcohol
- A clean lint free rag
- A small piece of cardboard or other stiff scrap material
- A relatively clean open area to work in

Procedure:
First thing gather all your materials and select a clean,well ventilated area.

Spread out the tarp and set the cardboard on the tarp. Lay the clean Smoothlock(s) on the scrap, black side up (paper side down).Holding the adhesion promoter perpendicular to the Smoothlock (part from now on) about 6 to 8 inches away and just off to the side of it.

Start spraying and move the can steadily and fairly quickly in an even side to side motion over the part and stop spaying just past the part (1-2). Try to keep the orientation of the can the same throughout the coat i.e. do not rotate or roll your wrist as you start spraying or when coming off the object.
You want to put on two light coats in this fashion with an appropriate waiting time in between coats.

I would rotate your path about 60 degrees to spray the second coat (3-4). (If for some reason the part does not go from glossy to matte over the entire surface you may need another coat.)

Following the directions on the can, wait for the adhesion promoter to dry. Perform the same basic steps to add the color coats.I ended up putting on four light coats including the initial tack coat, but put on what you think looks good.The first few coats will leave plenty of the black showing through, but that is a good thing, so don’t be impatient and respray to make it look better right away.

Subsequent coats will fill in the color. Remember the thicker the paint layer though,the easier to chip once dry.

I would wait at least a day for it to dry for best results,but you could actually finish quicker if you are in a hurry. Just be mindful of possible smudging or fingerprinting. Once dry, very carefully take the hobby knife with a new blade and cut the paint layer from the paper backing. This only requires a light touch as you are not cutting through the paper, only the paint.This step will help insure you don’t tear the paint layer (ask me how I know) when removing the adhesive protection paper.

To prep the vehicle, use a little rubbing alcohol on the cloth and gently clean the stainless and the surrounding paint (this is so you don’t need to clean it after you apply the Smoothlock and scratch the fresh paint.) Now it is time to stick it on!

(For the long drawn out version, keep reading…) Once the alcohol has evaporated, gently peel the paper backing off of the Smoothlock. As the space is tight and recessed, if you have big fingers, eyeball the placement in your mind’s eye before actually emplacing it. Center the Smoothlock and stick it on as centered as you can. If it catches on the painted surface of the car, do not press as it can crack the paint on the Smoothlock. Just gently remove it and try again. Once done, stand back and enjoy …

Another mod well done!

Any questions?

How much? They are approximately $9.99 each and as of now there are three vendors.
2014 Chevy Cruze LT auto (Pedestal Spoiler, Tinted Windows, Husky Floor Liners, shark fin, integral dash cam,Diode Dynamics XP50 Reverse Lights, splash guards, Z-Spec Grille, Fogs, Depo smoked turn signals w/amber Diode Dynamics LEDs, Eibach Pro-kit, Bilstein Sport Struts, UR Rear upper Strut Bar, UR Front Upper Strut Bar) MOTM JAN17 AUG17
Blasirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door handles, keyhole, smoothlock, tutorial